Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09   #1
Give, give, give member

Price of Life.

It's just been announced on the news that the families of victims of the London bombings are to get £11,000 in compensation for the loss life.

How was this figure arrived at, and how on earth can you be compensated by such a measly figure?

It seems such a low figure to base a persons life on, especially when compared to the massive figures which have been awarded in libel cases in the last couple of years.

I bet they'd much rather have their loved ones back. I'd tell them to stick it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2005, 12:12   #2
God Member

Re: Price of Life.

and if you compare it to the comp money each families of victims from 9/11 got then you really can see how much of a joke/affront it is to these families.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:20   #3
God Member

It will also be interesting to compare this amount with that offered by the Met to the family of the illegal Brazilian immigrant who failed to stop when he was asked to do us. Rumour here has it that they are to receive an interim payment of £50,000pds.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:52   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
It will also be interesting to compare this amount with that offered by the Met to the family of the illegal Brazilian immigrant who failed to stop when he was asked to do us. Rumour here has it that they are to receive an interim payment of £50,000pds.
Apparently one of the victims was here illegally too, should his family get less as well?

The Brazilian man was here illegally, though he allegedly did stop according to eye witnesses.

Old 04-08-2005, 13:00   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Apparently one of the victims was here illegally too, should his family get less as well?

Yep...

The Brazilian man was here illegally, though he allegedly did stop according to eye witnesses.
Rubbish. If he'd have stopped he would still be alive.
Old 04-08-2005, 13:09   #6
Give, give, give member

I'm not getting into an argument with you Tealeaf, this thread is about compensation for the victims of the bombings.

I posted the latest information according to The Sunday Times about this Brazilian man and what according to eye witnesses appears to have really happened, in the thread London Alert.

A thread I noticed you haven't posted in since your rather unsavoury comments in that thread about civil liberties.

Last edited by garinda; 04-08-2005 at 13:14.
Old 04-08-2005, 13:38   #7
God Member

Quote:
I'm not getting into an argument with you Tealeaf,..(GOOD IDEA)... this thread is about compensation for the victims of the bombings....
A thread I noticed you haven't posted in since your rather unsavoury comments in that thread about civil liberties.
As usual,you're wrong; the last post I made on that thread was about the very same illegal immigrant.
I have no problem with compensation, on this occaision, being paid to legal vistors to this country. However, in future I would suggest that visitors ensure they carry their own death & injury by terrorism insurance. That way we can concentrate our resources on adequatly compensating British victims of terror. After all,we're the ones who pay the taxes. I agree the current level of compensation is derisory, certainly when compared to the levels of libel settlements and other settlements paid by various state bodies to right perceived wrongs.
Old 04-08-2005, 13:43   #8
I am Banned

the brazilian did stop.............

about 1 second after the bullet hit him

its just another case of treating illigals better than law abiding citizens of our country

£10,000 will not have much left after a funerl has been paid for i find that measly ammount to be offensive especialy when 5 times as much is apparently been given to the family of a guy who was illigaly here
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 13:46   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As usual,you're wrong; the last post I made on that thread was about the very same illegal immigrant.
I have no problem with compensation, on this occaision, being paid to legal vistors to this country. However, in future I would suggest that visitors ensure they carry their own death & injury by terrorism insurance. That way we can concentrate our resources on adequatly compensating British victims of terror. After all,we're the ones who pay the taxes. I agree the current level of compensation is derisory, certainly when compared to the levels of libel settlements and other settlements paid by various state bodies to right perceived wrongs.
Like I said I m not goint to argue with you, we obviously have a difference of opinion. In the thread London Alert you made the comment about how long would it be before the civil liberties 'mob' start asking questions about a shoot to kill policy. This resulted, in hindsight, with some very unsavoury comments, bordering on the racist.

As usual I'm wrong? What on everthing? Cool.

My opinion on you not commenting in that thread, after more facts from eye witnesses came to light isn't.

Last edited by garinda; 04-08-2005 at 13:51.
Old 04-08-2005, 13:59   #10
Member.

In respect of the compensation being offer to those innocent victims of the bombings, irrespective of there nationality. I find the sum of £11.000 pounds to be an insult to the dead, to the injured and to those left to grieve…….This is a national disgrace and an embarrassment. I will tell openly that I was recent involved in negotiating a compensation award for a former employee who was awarded £16.000 pounds for breach of contract by her former employer…..Spot the injustice…………….

Garinda……..I know you feel that an injustice as been committed in regard to this young Brazilian who regardless of what the Sunday Times and its alleged witnesses have to say. This gentleman was in the country illegally and knew that by being so he was subject to arrest. Knowing that and knowing that an act of terrorism had taken place in London he should have surrendered himself to the authorities when asked to do so. Any such damages paid to this gentleman should not be greater than that paid to the other innocent victims of this tragic outrage. Also, I wouldn’t rely on the content of a News Paper as evidence of guilt or innocents…..any witness statement is subject to the ongoing inquiry and independent investigation to which no role was allocated to the national press…………

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 04-08-2005 at 14:03. Reason: Corrections
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 14:12   #11
God Member

Quote:
Like I In the thread London Alert you made the comment about how long would it be before the civil liberties 'mob' start asking questions about a shoot to kill policy. This resulted, in hindsight, with some very unsavoury comments, bordering on the racist.
I was proved perfectly correct, then....within hours the Guardian,the BBC and all the other trendy civil rights do-gooders were piling into the story, and as usual, drawing their own premature and incorrect conclusions on this affair.

I think I deserve 10/10 and lots of Kama for foresight.

As regards any racist unsavoury comments, there certainly was none made by me (although I do own up to the occaisional innocent sexist remark)
Old 04-08-2005, 14:52   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
In respect of the compensation being offer to those innocent victims of the bombings, irrespective of there nationality. I find the sum of £11.000 pounds to be an insult to the dead, to the injured and to those left to grieve…….This is a national disgrace and an embarrassment. I will tell openly that I was recent involved in negotiating a compensation award for a former employee who was awarded £16.000 pounds for breach of contract by her former employer…..Spot the injustice…………….

Garinda……..I know you feel that an injustice as been committed in regard to this young Brazilian who regardless of what the Sunday Times and its alleged witnesses have to say. This gentleman was in the country illegally and knew that by being so he was subject to arrest. Knowing that and knowing that an act of terrorism had taken place in London he should have surrendered himself to the authorities when asked to do so. Any such damages paid to this gentleman should not be greater than that paid to the other innocent victims of this tragic outrage. Also, I wouldn’t rely on the content of a News Paper as evidence of guilt or innocents…..any witness statement is subject to the ongoing inquiry and independent investigation to which no role was allocated to the national press…………
True, but l would rather read eye witness quotes in the press, than some of the things that were posted on here by people without knowing the full facts, which in hindsight seem offensive.

Old 04-08-2005, 14:59   #13
God Member

Quote:
True, but l would rather read eye witness quotes in the press, than some of the things that were posted on here by people without knowing the full facts, which in hindsight seem offensive.
So who does know the "full facts"? The answer is no one. If we were to impose the rule that the full facts be known before any posting on any subject was made on here, then there would quite simply be no forum. And that is a fact. (Unlike the so-called news reported on the BBC and in the Guardian)
Old 04-08-2005, 15:13   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So who does know the "full facts"? The answer is no one. If we were to impose the rule that the full facts be known before any posting on any subject was made on here, then there would quite simply be no forum. And that is a fact. (Unlike the so-called news reported on the BBC and in the Guardian)
You once spanked me for threading about Kylie Minogue's breast cancer, because it wasn't local enough for you, so I agree people should feel free to comment about anything.

No one mentioned the BBC or the Guardian. Where do you get your non politicalised news from?

Old 04-08-2005, 15:28   #15
God Member

Quote:
No one mentioned the BBC or the Guardian. Where do you get your non politicalised news from?
Well, I certainly don't get my news from that drivel. There's more truth in the tarot cards or the talking parrot than on the BBC or in The Guardian. I stick to the Times or the Telegraph...papers that are concerned about the facts, rather than distorting them or simply making them up in order to justify their own crackpot concoption of marxist/liberal/islamic ideology.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 04-08-2005 at 15:30.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..