Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2013, 19:39   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Pals Medical Centre.

John, my stint was on E3 in the summer of 1973......and the Sister in Cahrge was Marie Clarke...a wonderful woman...but fierce...I was scared to death of her, but she gave me the best report I ever had....it was so good the John Fletcher the nursing officer offered me a job for when I qualified...and I was only a little first year student.
By the time you were in QPH(80s-90's) I was already a Sister on the Gynae unit...so unless you had female bits that were misbehaving, our paths would not have crossed
Bet you are glad about that!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2013, 20:38   #47

I have just been to see Dr woodcock this morning, who I asked for and is sadly retiring, I made the appointment by phone on Friday afternoon so looks like things are improvingWill miss dr woodcock though.
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 20:56   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
By the time you were in QPH(80s-90's) I was already a Sister on the Gynae unit...so unless you had female bits that were misbehaving, our paths would not have crossed
He has probably been called similar to female bits by Labour supporters in the past
Old 16-10-2013, 17:42   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
John, my stint was on E3 in the summer of 1973......and the Sister in Cahrge was Marie Clarke...a wonderful woman...but fierce...I was scared to death of her, but she gave me the best report I ever had....it was so good the John Fletcher the nursing officer offered me a job for when I qualified...and I was only a little first year student.
Bet you are glad about that!
Well Yaespecially if you were anything like the old type sister, that bites your ankles
Old 16-10-2013, 19:23   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well Yaespecially if you were anything like the old type sister, that bites your ankles
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 19:23   #51
Beacon of light

she was far more scary than that.
Old 18-10-2013, 14:37   #52
God Member

i discovered today that the walk in service isnt at risk from teh government but from quite a few upset GP's

are they upset that there are risks to their patients ?

nope they are upset because the walk in service is taking money out of tehir pockets so if the service is scrapped and you find yourself unable to get yourself or your children medical help after 5pm and having to hope that A&E or a call out doctor will see fit to treat you be sure to thank your GP for puting an end to the much needed walk in service if these doctors get tehir way

perhaps the walk in service wouldnt be used so much if GP's around here and tehir practice managers got tehir act together and made it possible for patients to see a doctor.I dont know but maybe not only working 3.5 days a week woudl be a start in accy pals case for example as they are shut wednesday and most of friday doing staff training.

so this isnt a government issue its a group of doctors getting upset that someone else is picking up their slack and in a lot of cases doing a much better job

its not the government in thsi case that isnt thinking of peoles health ots teh actual doctors or a certain group of doctors accross hyndburn.I wish i knew which ones were kicking up the fuss id have no problem in naming and shaming these cretins.Its not as though these doctors can provide care in teh evening people need the walk in service because they shut at 5 or 6pm and people get ill after those hours.

hundreds of people each week have to rely on the walk in service because of their inadequate doctors surgeries i dare say quite a lot reading this have had to resort to the walk in service.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 18-10-2013 at 14:42.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 17:57   #53
Senior Member+

My daughter got excellent prompt service and treatment at the walk in centre on Monday morning, I knew it wasn't worth even trying to get he an appointment at our Docs. She did see our Doc on Wednesday however(for an appointment which the receptionist then insisted never existed, even though I booked it on the phone a whole week earlier), he has now diagnosed exactly what I told him was wrong some 9 month ago(anaemia and low blood pressure). I think I read that a doc gets Ł600 per year for each patient on his books, I can't imagine that they are losing that money because of the walk in centre, people will still stay registered.

I only persist with my Doc because they do a late surgery on Tuesday for workers and the nurse is very good.
Old 18-10-2013, 19:33   #54
God Member

do doctors not pick up a fee from prescriptions they write ? I know they can get perks for say prommising to prescribe salbutomol over ventolin which is teh exact same drug just a different manufacturer

again no expert but people are using the walk in service and discovering a better service and leaving tehir current practice which i guess is loosing them the yearly fee

either way its a very dispicable thing to try an end a service that so many people rely on

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 19:40   #55

No different from Politicos, feathering their own nest whilst they can and sod the great unwashed.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 20:16   #56
Beacon of light

Salbutamol is the generic version of ventolin...a bit like a supermarkets own brand of cornflakes over Kelloggs....like unbranded cereals these drugs are cheaper.
Doctors will tell you that they are exactly the same but in my experience they aren't.
I used to take Voltarol 50 mg three times a day. I was prescribed Diclofenac 50 mg three times a day...this meant each tablet should have relieved my pain for eight hours.....the branded ones did, the unbranded ones lasted barely six hours..yet they were supposed to be exactly the same.
It costs less to the practice to prescibe unbranded medications.
Old 18-10-2013, 20:54   #57

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Salbutamol is the generic version of ventolin...a bit like a supermarkets own brand of cornflakes over Kelloggs....like unbranded cereals these drugs are cheaper.
Doctors will tell you that they are exactly the same but in my experience they aren't.
I used to take Voltarol 50 mg three times a day. I was prescribed Diclofenac 50 mg three times a day...this meant each tablet should have relieved my pain for eight hours.....the branded ones did, the unbranded ones lasted barely six hours..yet they were supposed to be exactly the same.
It costs less to the practice to prescibe unbranded medications.
Don't really want to cross swords with a professional..but I'm given to understand mg for mg there is no chemical difference. When a new drug is marketed the relevant patent allows them to market without competition for a set number of years to allow them to recoup development costs, then the gloves are off and anyone can market the drug under whatever brand name they choose..the MHRA would not allow a change in chemical composition for any brand name drug claiming to do the same as a generic.

Tin hat on and prepared to be corrected
Old 18-10-2013, 21:25   #58
Beacon of light

You don't need the tin hat...and I know that what you say is true(and I have said the very same thing to my patients when they told me that the generic wasn't as effective)...but it is just that from my own personal experience...and with not just diclofenac either. If you had given me a voltarol it worked for longer than a diclofenac...the full 8 hours...and this is important when you have cracked ribs and want to sleep through the night...sometimes the diclofenac didn't even last 6 hours.
I do not know the reason for it, but I promise you, had you blindfolded me and given me a voltarol....I would most definitely have known the difference.....I would have got at least two more hours sleep.
Diclofenac had to be boosted by paracetamol.
Old 18-10-2013, 21:45   #59

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
You don't need the tin hat...and I know that what you say is true(and I have said the very same thing to my patients when they told me that the generic wasn't as effective)...but it is just that from my own personal experience...and with not just diclofenac either. If you had given me a voltarol it worked for longer than a diclofenac...the full 8 hours...and this is important when you have cracked ribs and want to sleep through the night...sometimes the diclofenac didn't even last 6 hours.
I do not know the reason for it, but I promise you, had you blindfolded me and given me a voltarol....I would most definitely have known the difference.....I would have got at least two more hours sleep.
Diclofenac had to be boosted by paracetamol.
I was going to argue that it's whatever our minds tells us works best, thus the placebo, but I have no argument for your blindfold other than...you're weird!
Old 18-10-2013, 21:48   #60
Beacon of light

You aren't the first person to tell me that.
I prefer the term 'unique' though...or at a very big push 'eccentric'
Guinness likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..