Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2005, 22:21   #16
I am Banned

Re: Parkour, Free Running...

you want to see somone run over cars and anything else in its way just tie a pork chop around a chavs neck and set a police dog on him :-)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2005, 10:48   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

free running bulls**t- not free to the poor sod who ends with a bill for damage to his car
Old 14-06-2005, 11:43   #18

these typr are not free runners they are just vandals hiding behund a name.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 14:37   #19

Talking Re: Parkour, Free Running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
I saw the programe on it the other day the french black guy was totally unbelievable. What fitness.
yeah i watched it as well the asian guy is sabastein fukong its amazing what they do
tpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 14:41   #20

Angry Re: Parkour, Free Running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
free running bulls**t- not free to the poor sod who ends with a bill for damage to his car
im a free runner and i don't go running up peoples cars i valt walls benches and bars and most things that come in my way but i do not run on peoples cars.
you can not call your self a free runner if you cause damage to other peoples property you should be classed as a vandal instead
tpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 14:59   #21
Resident Waffler

What happens if you think you can clear an obstacle but fail and land on it? How do you judge whether or not you are likely to cause damage and how do you discourage those who don't give a hoot whether they cause damage or not?

WOW Tea I never knew you had it in you.

My cat does it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 15:01   #22
God Member

For the Francophiles / Francophobes amongst you here's an article on this activity. Did I hear someone say "Typical of the French, just like the froggies to think of something like this" ?

FREE-RUNNING
Free-running treats the urban landscape as an adult playground. It treats man-made structures as an obstacle course that participants negotiate by daring feats of graceful gymnastics. It was invented by a group of childhood friends in Lisses, near Paris—as in so many suburban towns, there was little for young people to do, so Sebastien Foucan, David Belle and others created what they call le parkour (a deliberately un-French spelling to make the point that they were doing something different).
Anybody in Britain who has been watching BBC1 in recent months will have seen this most recent example of an extreme sport in action; David Belle was filmed for a promotional trailer in which he rushed home across London’s rooftops to catch his favourite TV programme. More recently, a trio of free-runners were seen in a programme called Jump London on Channel 4.
The sport grew out of attempts to imitate ninja feats. Unlike other extreme activities, it has developed a philosophy. “It is not just a game,” Sebastien Foucan is quoted as saying, “it is a discipline because it is a way of facing our fears and demons that you can apply to the rest of your life.”

Free-running is essentially cat-burglary without the larceny—and with a hefty addition of Gallic philosophising.
[Independent, 10 Sep. 2003]

A new urban sport which emerged from the southern suburbs of Paris, free-running uses gymnastic skills to find alarming new ways of navigating the urban landscape. It is the free-runners’ fondness for catapulting themselves at dangerous heights over anxiety-inducing distances that has brought them notoriety—initially within the confines of their mayor’s office, but more recently on an international level.
[Guardian, 21 Aug. 2003]

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 15:02   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyo88
By the way, my website is...

Http://www.Urban-Kore.Cjb.Net

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P : 8)
That link just leads to the Cjb main site for people to sign up.

Old 26-06-2005, 12:16   #24

Thumbs down Re: Parkour, Free Running...

Hey Boyo88. Theres no point in trying to advertise your website as none of these people take Parkour seriously. They think it's just a cool TV Show and a way of damaging property. If you really want to talk to people about Parkour go to a website like http://www.urbanfreeflow.com
You may of already of heard about this site but maybe the other people who have posted in t his thread should take a little visit there. Maybe you could find out what Parkour really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpickup
yeah i watched it as well the asian guy is sabastein fukong its amazing what they do
Also his name is Sebastian Foucan and he is French and Black not Asian.

Last edited by Swirve; 26-06-2005 at 12:21.
Swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 15:50   #25
God Member

Done well it is breathtaking. But I have to agree that it seems little more than a thinly veiled excuse for wanton vandalism and displays a level of disrespect for the property of other people that is, sadly, becoming more common.

Hmmm, "Absolute freedom of movement" but at who's expense?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 26-06-2005 at 16:43.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 15:59   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if somebody ever landed on our car(which is a old banger)but we love it,i would be tempted to start a new craze FREE PUNCHING lol
Old 26-06-2005, 16:00   #27
Roy
Administrator

Having never heard of this sport and never seen anything on tv about it I am afraid my imagination is struggling to relate jumping over walls and hedges as breathtaking. Anybody got a link to a video of this strange sport?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 16:02   #28
I am Banned

just imagine all those idiots on you've been framed who try to jump things and fall on their asses

now imagine that they actualy made the jump

there you go thats what it is lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 16:04   #29
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Done well it is breathtaking.

"Done well" being the operative words. Of course no-one can do it well immediately. It must take a lot of practice.

Quote:
Hmmm, "Complete freedom of movement" but at who's expense?
And this is where I tend to agree and express concern. What happens when someone doesn't clear their obstacle? Do they consider the damage to the obstacle? If you are a hurdler and fail to clear the hurdle all that happens is that you knock it over and it lands on the track. If you are leaping over a car and fail to clear it and land on the bonnet or roof it will be damaged, dented at the very least. A foot could go through the windscreen.

Yes, you'll probably say that expert free runners wouldn't try to jump something unless they knew they could clear it because running round it is also an option but my question is unless they have tried how do they know? And there must be failures as well as successes. Maybe it seems to you Swirve that we don't take the "sport" seriously because we do actually take it very seriously and consider it from all angles.

Old 26-06-2005, 16:51   #30
God Member

It is a craze like any other. There will be those, like the french chappie, who are natural athletes and who would be able to do almost anything well, and then there are the sheep, who try so desperately and so seriously to emulate their role models, but inevitably end up on their arses. It was the same with BMX, Skateboards, Snowboarding etc. etc.

An interesting question would be why it is that our young appear to be seeking ever more dangerous ways to get their thrills.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..