Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2005, 16:42   #31

Re: Parkour, Free Running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
For the Francophiles / Francophobes amongst you here's an article on this activity. Did I hear someone say "Typical of the French, just like the froggies to think of something like this" ?

FREE-RUNNING
Free-running treats the urban landscape as an adult playground. It treats man-made structures as an obstacle course that participants negotiate by daring feats of graceful gymnastics. It was invented by a group of childhood friends in Lisses, near Paris—as in so many suburban towns, there was little for young people to do, so Sebastien Foucan, David Belle and others created what they call le parkour (a deliberately un-French spelling to make the point that they were doing something different).
Anybody in Britain who has been watching BBC1 in recent months will have seen this most recent example of an extreme sport in action; David Belle was filmed for a promotional trailer in which he rushed home across London’s rooftops to catch his favourite TV programme. More recently, a trio of free-runners were seen in a programme called Jump London on Channel 4.
The sport grew out of attempts to imitate ninja feats. Unlike other extreme activities, it has developed a philosophy. “It is not just a game,” Sebastien Foucan is quoted as saying, “it is a discipline because it is a way of facing our fears and demons that you can apply to the rest of your life.”

Free-running is essentially cat-burglary without the larceny—and with a hefty addition of Gallic philosophising.
[Independent, 10 Sep. 2003]

A new urban sport which emerged from the southern suburbs of Paris, free-running uses gymnastic skills to find alarming new ways of navigating the urban landscape. It is the free-runners’ fondness for catapulting themselves at dangerous heights over anxiety-inducing distances that has brought them notoriety—initially within the confines of their mayor’s office, but more recently on an international level.
[Guardian, 21 Aug. 2003]
#

you have watched jump london to many times
tpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2005, 17:36   #32

As long as the participants stick to the rules and do not damage property belonging to others then I think they should be left to cultivate a new and what I consider an exciting new sport which demands the highest level of fitness and dedication. Go for it boys, damage nothing, enjoy your sport and your fitness. I only wish I was fit enough to join you, and enjoy basially something that we did albeit on a smaller scale when I was a lad. ENJOY.........................
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 18:06   #33

http://www.lookatentertainment.com/n...vids/v-489.wmv

video made by David Belle the founder of Parkour. And it is no craze. Certainly after jump britain was shown some people who dont understand the true meaning of Parkour would have tried to copy what they have saw. Unlike me. I take this sport very seriously and understand the art side aswell as the sport side. People who vandalise things are not Traceurs (People who practice parkour) and are just simply vandals. http://www.urbanfreeflow.com people who are not sure of what parkour is should visit this website. Read some of the articles and have a glance at the message board. You will see that it is not a totally unknown sport as there are thousands of boards and threads. Parkour has been around for years and isnt really a new sport.
Swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 21:23   #34

Post Re: Parkour, Free Running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
As long as the participants stick to the rules and do not damage property belonging to others then I think they should be left to cultivate a new and what I consider an exciting new sport which demands the highest level of fitness and dedication. Go for it boys, damage nothing, enjoy your sport and your fitness. I only wish I was fit enough to join you, and enjoy basially something that we did albeit on a smaller scale when I was a lad. ENJOY.........................
i will enjoy it
tpickup is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..