Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2007, 12:21   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Pay as you throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
At least cardboard is very easy to recycle. I would rather see cardboard used instead of plastic packaging.
As was pointed out in this thread, no trade waste from businesses in Hyndburn is being, or is able to be, recycled.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...ight=recycling

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2007, 12:39   #32
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
At least cardboard is very easy to recycle. I would rather see cardboard used instead of plastic packaging.
You get 3 sorts of packaging from Argos, cardboard, plastic and expanded poystyrene, they should be made to take it back and and dispose of it. Plastic carrier bags should be banned, I take 2 out with me everytime I go shopping if everyone did the same there would be no need to keep issuing them willy-nilly.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 12:48   #33
Resident Waffler

HBC should lead by example - then they might find more householders willing to co-operate. It's not on charging us if we throw away too much whilst they don't recycle anything.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 08:44   #34
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I think that this will be an unworkable system, it sounds feasable in theory but in this less than utopic country that we live in, it will never work.

We have very little rubbish and only put our bin out about once a month, even then, it is only half full. Everything that it is possible to recycle gets recycled. My neighbours (just 2 of them too), fill their bin every fortnight and often have extra bags too. They do some recycling but not a lot. When my bin goes out, I will often put some of their excess into ours so that it will be removed.... Under the charging system that will stop. People would need lockable bins as neighbours would be putting extra bags in somebody else's bin. There will be more bin bags being dumped in alleys and more fly tipping.
Council tax will probably not be reduced in order to accommodate the new rubbish tax, the rubbish tax will be extra. If people on benefits receive a reduction in their rubbish tax this will be seen as unfair to the people who are not on benefits or are not entitled to the discount and could cause quite a furore.

IMO it's an unworkable system.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 09:57   #35
God Member

When I worked for a wheely bin company about 7 years ago...they devised a lockable bin which when lifted by the wagon was opened by some kind of magnetic device...ok can't remember exactly how it worked...but this could be the kind of thing that might happen!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 10:29   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I aggree with you gary, the trouble is the council collectors want it all gift wraped, My Bernadette put some cardboard out last week they did not take it, as it was not 'tied up' my next door neighbour kindly took it to the tip.
That does seem a little mean, doesn't it Ian Can understand they only specify it being tied up so that it doesn't blow away, but 'fraid I am not very good at gift wrapping so all these different size and shapes of cardboard are way beyond my capabilities. Haven't got a degree in this unfortunately.

I know just put it all in a black bin bag next to the green bin, and they always take it .. no problems.

They are not allowed to chase after loose rubbish that has been blown by the wind, etc., due to the danger to themselves from traffic, wish I think is fair enough.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 13:06   #37
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Pay as you throw

If councils are going to weigh each wheelie bin as it is emptied I hope that they will take into account the ‘tare’ weight. I know of three different sizes of wheelie bin and obviously they will all have a different ‘tare’ weight. Most people will have the standard size but there is a smaller size in use and a larger one that I have.

Living on my own as I do and having a larger than normal bin I only need to put it out once in six weeks or sometimes eight weeks. I recycle glass, plastic, metal and paper and thin cardboard like cornflakes packets and the like.

Blackburn with Darwen Council have promulgated a collection schedule then go and ignore it and collect the grey bin every week. On balance, where I live, the collections are OK.

There is also the question of all those people who receive Council Tax benefits either in full or in part. It would be wrong to charge them extra.

I use the plastic carrier bags given out free (but not really free) by the supermarkets to dispose of my non-recyclable rubbish which contains left over food and the like in an attempt to prevent flies from doing their bit. So if the supermarkets stop giving out plastic carrier bags my bin will become a transport café for flies and a breeding pen for maggots.

I read somewhere the other day (Ceefax I think) that if you hang a moth ball in the wheelie bin it will deter flies from trying to get in and any that do will kill them off.

The real solution to throw away rubbish is to use the technology to burn it without producing CO2 and using the generated heat to run a power station. Scotland claims to lead the world in no CO2 burning technology.

Or mix the rubbish with concrete into large blocks and coat the blocks with a layer of concrete. Then take them out off shore and build an island or a causeway between islands.

Over to you Tealeaf. Here’s your chance to denigrate my suggestions as in the crackpot category.
Old 27-05-2007, 14:49   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
How much money will HBC make from selling on recycled material? There is no way they are doing this at a loss just to keep some Whitehall manderin happy.
With everyone recycling prices for raw materials has fallen. The market for contaminated materials is a cost, you have to pay for it to be taken away even though it is being recycled. This is why it is believed the only solution is separation at source, ie household separation. Obviously less packaging in the first place would help. Whinney Hill Tip has only 20 years left. If we have to carry on using landfill after that further afield the costs of waste collection will rise. The Council did look at weekly bin collections just before the elections as a vote winner but the cost of that was an increase of 30% on HBC's portion of the Council Tax, about £60 a year.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 11:11   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
With everyone recycling prices for raw materials has fallen. The market for contaminated materials is a cost, you have to pay for it to be taken away even though it is being recycled. This is why it is believed the only solution is separation at source, ie household separation. Obviously less packaging in the first place would help. Whinney Hill Tip has only 20 years left. If we have to carry on using landfill after that further afield the costs of waste collection will rise. The Council did look at weekly bin collections just before the elections as a vote winner but the cost of that was an increase of 30% on HBC's portion of the Council Tax, about £60 a year.
Cheers for that Graham I now understand it better .

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 11:35   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
With everyone recycling prices for raw materials has fallen. The market for contaminated materials is a cost, you have to pay for it to be taken away even though it is being recycled. This is why it is believed the only solution is separation at source, ie household separation.
The main problem is that householders are confused with what can be recycled what cant & the big bug bear was when HBC changed their mind thro the recycling programme ie, blue box is for glass only not tins as was allowed originally, also that the blue bags for plastic & tins now are subject in bad weather to be shrewn all over the streets - to no fault of the householders usually!! I was under impression that stuff were cleaned before doing what they need to do in order to recycle - unfortunately u cannot avoid some kind of small contamination even from sources to the best of ability. Recycling should be easy to do - thus complicating matters at the source would make recycling less appealing if they are critized for trying.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 12:52   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
The main problem is that householders are confused with what can be recycled what cant & the big bug bear was when HBC changed their mind thro the recycling programme ie, blue box is for glass only not tins as was allowed originally, also that the blue bags for plastic & tins now are subject in bad weather to be shrewn all over the streets - to no fault of the householders usually!! I was under impression that stuff were cleaned before doing what they need to do in order to recycle - unfortunately u cannot avoid some kind of small contamination even from sources to the best of ability. Recycling should be easy to do - thus complicating matters at the source would make recycling less appealing if they are critized for trying.
That's a good point Mel. Although I have it sussed, hopefully, blue box for glass and tins, white sack paper, blue sack plastic bottles, it still can cause confusion about what we can recycle.

Yesterday, for example, I had two plastic containers, one from a pack of bacon, and one which had strawberries in. I was unsure if I could put them in the blue plastic sack because it just states plastic bottles, so didn't, and they went in with the non-recycable rubbish. Is there a way we should be recycling plastic food containers, if so in what, and if not, why not?

I can understand that it would cost a fortune if the Council wrote to us all, giving a detailed breakdown of what can and can't be recycled, or any changes that might occur, but would it not be possible to give that information on the Council website?

The majority of people understand the need to recycle, but I'm sure any extra help would be greatly appreciated by a lot of people.

Recycling

Old 28-05-2007, 15:18   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's a good point Mel. Although I have it sussed, hopefully, blue box for glass and tins, white sack paper, blue sack plastic bottles, it still can cause confusion about what we can recycle.
Seems you haven't got it sussed cos tins now go in your blue bag glass only in the blue box!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 16:34   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Seems you haven't got it sussed cos tins now go in your blue bag glass only in the blue box!!

Seems you're right. Thank you.

Good job it was pointed out to me, even though it's there on the website, before I received a fine for bringing down the quality of the glass with my tins.

Old 28-05-2007, 16:39   #44
I am Banned

Yeh rindy i have that prob with some items its like where does that go? I had to clarify over phone cos i thought glass could be recycled so hence put it in the bin, eg glasses, glass plate - nope they are not, had to put them in grey bin - yet glass containers are accepted
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 21:07   #45
Resting in Peace

they came today... bank holiday Monday and took away the tins and the glass: but they left the carboard on the GRASS....

sick of HBC they are nothing but a pain in the Ass:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..