Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2007, 21:29   #46
God Member

Re: Pay as you throw

Sorted out my recyclables last night and was wondering why the crud I bother. I stay on my own yet seem to have a hell of a lot of it to do. Need to have a big rethink.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2007, 21:45   #47
Resident Waffler

Why on earth can glass bottle be recycled but other glass has to go with the non-recyclable? Glass is glass isn't it? It all gets broken anyway.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 22:10   #48
Resting in Peace

they take the empty ones back for the cash :-) you don't get cash on a flower vase....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 23:51   #49
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Seems you're right. Thank you.

Good job it was pointed out to me, even though it's there on the website, before I received a fine for bringing down the quality of the glass with my tins.
We are still putting tins in with the bottles, I'll ask 'Tommy' the dustman when they do our weekly pick-up on Wednesday morning, easier and cheaper than trying to get through to cleansing department, no one has complained about them yet.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 05:41   #50

they all get broken up and remade so there should not be a problem with any glass
Old 30-05-2007, 10:17   #51
Resting in peace

Got the official card through the door this morning, Blue Box is for Glass Only Thanks, and no spelling mistakes, turn over card, Please Only Place. Cans and plastic bottles in your Blue Sack. Glass in your Blue Box. Paper in your White Sack.Shoes and textiles in your Green Sack.Cardboard-stacked together and wedged between containers.
To ensure that your materials are collected, all items must be clearly identifiable and visible to collection crews.
Thank you for your co-operation.
If you have any queries please contact the Helpline on 01254 399988.
Please can I have a Green sack?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:39   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yesterday, for example, I had two plastic containers, one from a pack of bacon, and one which had strawberries in. I was unsure if I could put them in the blue plastic sack because it just states plastic bottles, so didn't, and they went in with the non-recycable rubbish. Is there a way we should be recycling plastic food containers, if so in what, and if not, why not?

Barry Keeling, UK sales manager for Centriforce, a Liverpool company that recycles plastic bottles, said: “It’s a misunderstanding as to what can be recycled in this country. Lots of local authorities want us to recycle all the plastics – your yoghurt pot, your butter dish and sandwich wrapping – and we can’t use those.”

‘Recycled’ waste dumped in landfill-Life & Style-Women-The Way We Live-TimesOnline

Much more information is needed about what can and can't be recycled. It's pointless if government targets are supposedly being met, if after all the trouble of sorting out our rubbish, it goes straight to landfill sites because it's contaminated, and thus can't be recycled.

Why can't we have clearer instructions on the council's website? It would be easy to keep updated about how, and what can be recycled.

It's only through this article in the Sunday Times that I now know not to put margarine cartons etc. in the plastic sack.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..