Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Peel By-election result

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The turnout Barrie, was was just short of 26%. Not great, but consistent with a lot of Local Government by-elections
I did see what the turnout was Bernard - I commented on the % of the population that actually voted for the winning candidate.
IMHO that shows apathy right across the political spectrum.
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2010, 06:57   #17
God Member

sorry about the above posts , but how old ( years) is this woman who has been elected ? .... seems to me she is just another old recycled Labour politician who can claim 'legal' expenses to top up her pension .. bit like the woman ( from Rossendale who was kicked out from the County Council and ended up as a director of the Queens Park (Royal) Hospital

and who says local poitics suck
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:11   #18
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
sorry about the above posts , but how old ( years) is this woman who has been elected ? .... seems to me she is just another old recycled Labour politician who can claim 'legal' expenses to top up her pension .. bit like the woman ( from Rossendale who was kicked out from the County Council and ended up as a director of the Queens Park (Royal) Hospital

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if you think that being an opposition councillor is in any way a lucrative deal then you should try it.

You don't usually get to chair any committees (£1,500 per year extra, on average), there are dozens of meetings to attend each month, ward work with the residents, e-mails and telephone calls to answer every day and a lot of earache for a monthly take home pay of around £250.

It equates to around one day's pay each week and is bloody hard work for those who really want to make a difference. I'm rarely one for telling someone that they are out-and-out wrong but in this instance I'm afraid you are.

Just look at the committee chair places that our esteemed leader has awarded himself and compare that to any opposition councillor:

Councillors - Peter Britcliffe

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Pathetic.

I don't know how old she is. She has children my age, and I'm forty five. So go figure.

She is one of the kindest, dedicated, intelligent, and passionate people I have the pleasure to have got to know.

She'd run circles, literally, round people half her age. Plus she brings with her a wealth of experience.

Ageism is as stupid as any other form of prejudice.

Besides, the seat will be up for grabs again in 22 months.

Twenty two months in which Wendy will work her socks off for the people of Peel.

Haven't you heard that we are all being told we'll have to work until we drop in this country, before the government will give people a bus pass and a state pension?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:24   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Is this bitterness down to you being thrown out of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, because you've no longer got the habit?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:25   #21
God Member

sorry Ken , but I allways remember my old Grandads words... "anybody who works for nowt is a thief "
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
sorry Ken , but I allways remember my old Grandads words... "anybody who works for nowt is a thief "
Take it your grandad never went to Calcutta, and met Mother Theresa?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:36   #23
Common Sense Member

Quote:
A thief is someone who takes something that doesn't belong to them and isn't bothered about the consequences.

Just remember this, who ever is in control of Hyndburn Council next year is completely and utterly screwed because of the way Peter Britcliffe is spending the money in the pot. If the Conservatives remain in control after next year's local elections the excuse for penny-pinching will be laid at the door of the previous government and if Labour gain control then it will be reported by the Tories that they are an inept local party.

Peter Britcliffe is about to destroy the Hyndburn coffers and it needs reporting now before he leaves us in financial ruin. If he carries on the way he's going then everyone in Hyndburn will suffer badly next year.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:38   #24
God Member

Hey , wheres the bitterness from , all I'm asking is why some old recycled politico should be elected , where are the young folks ... the ones who need a voice in what going on , not some owd weaver/winder/spinner who's best memories go back to the days of Johnny Ray
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Funny my grandad used to say the same n much other stuff that turned out to be nonsense, his generation were ignorant steely, through no fault of there own, were lucky in a sense as information is easily available to us, they knew nowt really.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Hey , wheres the bitterness from , all I'm asking is why some old recycled politico should be elected , where are the young folks ... the ones who need a voice in what going on , not some owd weaver/winder/spinner who's best memories go back to the days of Johnny Ray
In the recent local elections there were candidates from their early twenties to people in their seventies.

Rishton, a couple of years ago, elected the youngest local councillor in the whole of the country.

Elections are open to candidates of all ages.

The parties choose who they think is the most suitable candidate, then the electotrate decides who they think will best represent them...regardless of anything as superfical as age.

The best candidate therefore wins.

It's called democracy.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:49   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This from someone who proudly lives in a country who twice elected a geriatric B-movie 'star', who was acted off the screen by a chimpanzee.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Funny my grandad used to say the same n much other stuff that turned out to be nonsense, his generation were ignorant steely, through no fault of there own, were lucky in a sense as information is easily available to us, they knew nowt really.
just 2 simple example Bono and Geldorf
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57   #29
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Most people work during the day which is when the Conservatives have decided all our meetings have to be.

I am in the lucky position of being self-employed and can award myself the time off as and when required but it's still not very convenient and I'm not bringing home any bacon during peak earning times.

The only people generally free during the day are Hyndburn Conservatives and those who have retired.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:58   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
just 2 simple example Bono and Geldorf

Yes, simple.

No mention of the thousands and thousands of people, who quietly go about their work, for charities for example, who work to help others, without renumeration, or for what they can steal as 'thieves'.

If people go into local politics thinking it'll make them rich, they're as ignorant of the facts, as those that think age is a handicap to doing a good job.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..