Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 07:59   #31
God Member

Re: Peel By-election result

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
This from someone who proudly lives in a country who twice elected a geriatric B-movie 'star', who was acted off the screen by a chimpanzee.

You mean the guy who was responsible for the fall of the "Berlin Wall ' the guy who made it so easy for Westen Europe to be invaded by the dross of Eastern Europe or was that Tony and Chriee Blairs fault
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2010, 08:00   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
just 2 simple example Bono and Geldorf
Whats that to do wi the price of fish? each generation has a portion of "Good"/Bad", intelligent/ ignorant, theres a damn sight less now, in comparison to our grandads generation. quoting those 2 is really clutching at straws.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You mean the guy who was responsible for the fall of the "Berlin Wall ' the guy who made it so easy for Westen Europe to be invaded by the dross of Eastern Europe or was that Tony and Chriee Blairs fault

Yes, that's your man.

Someone, who by your ageist standards, shouldn't have stood for election to the Whitehouse, but made way for a young whipper-snapper.

I'm afraid you can't have it both ways.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:10   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So, from your glowing eulogy for President Reagan, he did a good job, despite his old age, and Tony Blair, at the time the youngest Prime Minister since 1812, made a balls up of things?

Rather shot yourself in the foot there, regarding your comments about Wendy Dwyer's age being a handicap to her doing a good job as a local councillor.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:10   #35
God Member

yep , I allways thought the guy was a clown, but history proves me wrong , just the same as George Bush , the guy was not as bad has a been reported .
Old 03-07-2010, 08:12   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
yep , I allways thought the guy was a clown, but history proves me wrong , just the same as George Bush , the guy was not as bad has a been reported .
First history, now me.

Must be tough, always being wrong.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:17   #37
God Member

sorry I have no idea about the age of the new Councillor , just seems wrong to me for 'professional" politicians jumping from one seat to another just to stay in power (and draw/extend any retirement benefits from council /local Govt. service

Last edited by steeljack; 03-07-2010 at 08:20. Reason: addendum
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
sorry I have idea about the age of the new Councillor , just seems wrong to me for 'professional" politicians jumping from one seat to another just to stay in power (and draw/extend any retirement benefits from council /local Govt. service
Without going into details, she only stood down from LCC, because she had personal commitments, which have now changed, because her husband sadly passed away.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:22   #39
Common Sense Member

Quote:
sorry I have no idea about the age of the new Councillor , just seems wrong to me for 'professional" politicians jumping from one seat to another just to stay in power (and draw/extend any retirement benefits from council /local Govt. service
Spot on.

Wendy decided she would be the new Peel councillor and so she simply stepped in, no questions asked.

The election was all a front.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 15:01   #40
Give, give, give member

I was with her today, at the Parkinson's support group she founded.

I have nothing but respect for the woman.

She cares about people, and what she can do to help them, with no thought about what's in it for herself.

Over fifty people enjoyed lunch, friendship, and support, all thanks to her initiative, and get up and go attitude.

I'd genuinely vote for her, whichever party she stood for.

Old 03-07-2010, 15:27   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Quote:
just 2 simple example Bono and Geldorf
Whats that to do wi the price of fish? each generation has a portion of "Good"/Bad", intelligent/ ignorant, theres a damn sight less now, in comparison to our grandads generation. quoting those 2 is really clutching at straws.
May be wrong Cashy but thought those two weren't even English - always thought they were Irish - from Eire, which is not part of the United Kingdom and Northern ireland?

Has someone been imbibing too much Lone Star beer - the 2.1% variety?

Last edited by Neil; 05-07-2010 at 18:43. Reason: fixed quote
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 15:27   #42

However old she is, she will represent her constituents far far far better than most tory councillors.
accysimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..