Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2009, 01:07   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Pensioner dies at cash machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
somebdy should send this story to the national rags

always thought bailif=scum
I think you will find the story in at least one tomorrow
Old 17-01-2009, 04:32   #17

I didnt think Bailiffs were allowed to do that, i always thought it was illegal for them to take you anywhere (even if you requested it).

Bailiffs are not scum they do have a very difficult job, in no way am i excusing what this bailiff did as IMHO even taking someone to the cash machine is wrong, i just dont think all bailiffs should be tarred with the same brush as some of them are very polite and DO treat people with respect.
Old 17-01-2009, 05:43   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I didnt think Bailiffs were allowed to do that, i always thought it was illegal for them to take you anywhere (even if you requested it).

Bailiffs are not scum they do have a very difficult job, in no way am i excusing what this bailiff did as IMHO even taking someone to the cash machine is wrong, i just dont think all bailiffs should be tarred with the same brush as some of them are very polite and DO treat people with respect.
sorry to disagree but the 'sphincter' responsible for this mans early death should IMHO (as been mentioned before) be named and shamed and photo published in local and national media, also the names of his parents and grandparents , just to show what a tow-rag they have produced . These people are nothing more than goons and enforcers whose IQ is probably equal to the combined number of digits on their hands and feet .

From the reports published it seems these goons are earning a £ 290 fee for collecting a £60 fine , I thought usurious interest rates were banned by the Magna Carta in 1215 , seems the Govt. resonsible for introducing these Laws has no respect for the basic tenents of English common law
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 08:04   #19

It all depends on the bailiffs and who they are working for

A bailiff is not allowed to 'break intoyour house', they eitherhave to be invited in, or find a way of entry that does not cause damage to your property, unless there is aoliceman present.

As soon as they enter your house, they are allowed to put a levy on your goods, ie see what you have that they can sell to raise money to pay the debt. If a bailiff knocks at your door, keepthem on the doorstep!!!

Many bailiffs 'try it on', its their job to collect money, and i'm guessing a lot are paid performance related bonuses and have targets to meet, but that does cause 'cowboy' chaps, that will twist the law or what they are telling you if they think that they will get away with it.

The companies that the debt osis to are often unaware of what is happening, in fact, they have generally sold the debt on, so they can no longer do anything. There are a coiupleofthings you can do tho.

(Incidentally I used to workfor the court service which is why I know a bit about it, I do pay my bills!!)

This matter is absolutely disgraceful and will hopefullyhighlight the bullying tactics employed by some bailiffs.

Thoughts to his family
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 08:49   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

Bailiffs are not scum they do have a very difficult job.
yup i suppose intimidating single mothers , the disabled and elderly is a very difficult job

i can see very clearly how much hard work it is to force your way past a young woman or other vulnerable person with your buddy and start clearing out what little lifes possesions they have

bare in mind most bailifs are sent round by councils that over charge people for council tax especially people on benefits who are already living on what the government says is teh bare minimum to survive and take a great chunk of that away even with deductions in the ammount payable

i could understand strong arm tactics against somone simply refusing to pay with a good income and plenty of money in the bank but these scumbags dont think twice about breaking into a poor persons home and taking what little they have even if teh sale of what they take will only make enough to clear a small amount of the debt they will take it regardless and keep going back for more

ps:

new laws passed allow a bailif to enter by drilling your lock and as long as they leave your home secure you cant do nothing about it, i think also they charrge you for the locksmith which adds to the debt

thats what i remember been said on the news when they brought in new regulations,if i am wrong then fair enough but im pretty sure im right on this

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 17-01-2009 at 08:53.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 08:56   #21
God Member

Quote:
The government has been accused of trampling on individual liberties by proposing wide-ranging new powers for bailiffs to break into homes and to use “reasonable force” against householders who try to protect their valuables.

Under the regulations, bailiffs for private firms would for the first time be given permission to restrain or pin down householders. They would also be able to force their way into homes to seize property to pay off debts, such as unpaid credit card bills and loans.
Bailiffs get power to use force on debtors - Times Online

legalised thugary

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 10:20   #22

apologies, its changed then
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 11:38   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
new laws passed allow a bailif to enter by drilling your lock and as long as they leave your home secure you cant do nothing about it, i think also they charrge you for the locksmith which adds to the debt
How drilling holes in your house can be classed as not damaging it is beyond me.

This is screw up by this arse of a Government.
Old 17-01-2009, 11:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
sorry to disagree but the 'sphincter' responsible for this mans early death should IMHO (as been mentioned before) be named and shamed and photo published in local and national media, also the names of his parents and grandparents , just to show what a tow-rag they have produced .
So basically you want his grandparents to suffer for something they had nothing to do with?

This topic is going purely off the stereotype of what a bailiff is, nevermind the fact that there are thousands of bailiffs out there that do a decent job and never intimadate anyone.

There are good and bad bailiffs same with any job, they dont all deserve to be tarred with the same brush.

There are crooked cops, are all cops scum.....NO
there are peadophile teachers, are all teachers scum....NO
there are bad bailiffs, are all bailiffs scum.....NO

Sorry for the rant but i know quite a few bailiffs and dont think they deserve to be called scum
Old 17-01-2009, 13:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
sorry to disagree but the 'sphincter' responsible for this mans early death...
Everybody dies sometime. This old man was in ill health, and old.

IMO the bailiff showed poor judgement in pursuing the debt from this confused old man (I know him by proxy- my wife nursed him) and poor judgement putting him in a car*.

The hospital (possibly) showed poor judgement releasing the man early. His family showed poor judgement leaving him alone. Those displays of poor judgement haven't media value, though.

I think everyone is overreacting to an extent. He allegedly did something wrong, the due process was followed, and it coincided with his death. Nobody likes speeding or parking fines, or bailiffs, but it's as likely that it was just his time to go as it was the events immediately before.

* I don't drive customers to locations for shooting as I'm not insured for it. The only time I've ever done it was last week, and it allowed a shoot to go on for an extra ½ hour, but once we were out of the shop we were friends not supplier/customer and so I was OK to drive her then- it wasn't for work.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 14:22   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Everybody dies sometime. This old man was in ill health, and old.

IMO the bailiff showed poor judgement in pursuing the debt from this confused old man (I know him by proxy- my wife nursed him) and poor judgement putting him in a car*.

The hospital (possibly) showed poor judgement releasing the man early. His family showed poor judgement leaving him alone. Those displays of poor judgement haven't media value, though.

I think everyone is overreacting to an extent. He allegedly did something wrong, the due process was followed, and it coincided with his death. Nobody likes speeding or parking fines, or bailiffs, but it's as likely that it was just his time to go as it was the events immediately before.

* I don't drive customers to locations for shooting as I'm not insured for it. The only time I've ever done it was last week, and it allowed a shoot to go on for an extra ½ hour, but once we were out of the shop we were friends not supplier/customer and so I was OK to drive her then- it wasn't for work.
I doubt if he'd have popped his clogs if he had been sitting at home in his easy chair with his feet up having a nice quite brew. Okay, we all know that everybody has to go sometime, but I think this poor chap had to much help from this outside force and it should not be allowed to happen again, to anybody, they are playing god with peoples lives and its criminal to say the least
Old 17-01-2009, 14:58   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

Yes, I fully agree it was disgraceful behaviour, by a bailiff who has definitely overstepped the mark, and this sort of thing must never be allowed to happen again.

Just a thought occurs to me though. The report in todays's Express states that the man's family knew he had this fine pending, and was worrying about it while he was in hospital, so why on Earth didn't one of them pay it for him and take all the pressure off him? He could have paid them back later.
Old 17-01-2009, 15:17   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Just a thought occurs to me though. The report in todays's Express states that the man's family knew he had this fine pending, and was worrying about it while he was in hospital, so why on Earth didn't one of them pay it for him and take all the pressure off him? He could have paid them back later.

Maybe they did not have the money themselves to pay it.
Old 17-01-2009, 18:04   #29
Senior Member+

It's in most of the tabloids today, and yet again Accrington gets portrayed , rightly or wrongly as the most undesirable place on Earth to live, come to Accy, we have murderous bailiffs, stray dogs that have been "ironed" , pub landlords getting beaten up and murders a plenty. I think I need a change of location.....
Old 17-01-2009, 18:10   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I think I need a change of location.....
Try a move to Oswaldtwistle

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..