Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2005, 07:37   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Plan for Peace

Tell me if I am wrong but I think John's post was a bit of a rant at the people who, he feels, are ungrateful at Americas contribution to the world over the last 60 years?
Apart from items 1 and 2, I am fine with your suggestions. People are not ungrateful for WWII efforst of America. Just dont claim all the credit. Sadam is a different matter....
All people want is for America to help when necessary like everybody else does.
The oil suggestion is as inworkable as the author probably knows, and Alaska should be left. America uses more oil per capita than any other country in the world. And is rightly critized for this.
Yes, I know I put a 'z' in critised and I am ashamed of it.
Good thread though, we need more of em like this.

Cheers...
Georgie Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2005, 09:14   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Here's a plan for peace for all people who are sick to death of America sticking its nose in where it isn't wanted.

1) "The US will apologize to the world for its "interference" in
their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin,
Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good ole
boys', we will never "interfere" again.

Whilst we appreciate your help you didn't win it on your own. you were just the straw that broke its back. remember WW2 was going on a fair while before you joined in.
Quote:
2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with
Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They
don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one
allowed to sneak through holes in the fence.
I can't see many people disagreeing with you here.
Quote:
3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and
leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the
remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of
whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France may welcome
them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90
days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist
nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it
yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to
anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.
So everyone except the original Indians will be asked to leave? Your country has one major redeeming feature and that is its integrated society from all over teh world. Remember your ancestors were once foreigners in that land of yours.
Quote:
6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy
wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy
but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan
wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) We'll offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel
for their oil. If they don't like it, we'll go some place else. They
can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the
wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)
Thats fine, China and India will happily soak up the surplus, we aren't dependant on you to use all the world production. Maybe even fuel prices in teh UK will fall a bit

Quote:
If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we
will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds,
cash, cement or whatever they need. Besides, most of what we give to
them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most
get very little, if anything.
But from items 2,3 and 4 you obviously don't want to be part of a united 'world' so why should you care when it comes to disasters. per head capita your contributions are often far less than poorer developing countries.
Quote:
9) UN Headquarters will be shipped to an isolated island some place. We
don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the
building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal
aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no
one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak
is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a
plan?
I do like this last point. However as a flip, why do most English speaking countries fail miserably to speak other countries languages when in their homelands. If you want to make this happen you should also expect all foreign countries to ignore you when you try shouting at them for a coffee.

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 11:09   #18
Give, give, give member

What about the right to free speech.

Will that right be kept?'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 11:13   #19

To George Saint

Spot on George with your first paragraph. Hell, I know America is far from perfect but whatever it does it's always wrong. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I don't think that America has ever considered they won WW2 alone, with the exception of some of our friends in Hollywood with acute imaginations and, unfortunately, a worldwide and gullible audience. However, I cannot take credit for being the 'author' of the piece. That has to go to Robin Williams and perhaps I should have credited him in the original post. I was remiss and hope that this puts that to rights. I have not seen you post before George, welcome.

To Entwistle,

Just so you know, I'm a Brit, so I am not a 'colonial' who has never left America's shores. I agreee, WW2 was going a fair while before America (not we) joined in. However, I think without the plethora of supplies coming over the mighty pond prior to the troops arriving, we (The Brits) would have had a much harder time containing Herr H. There is more than one way to give help and they did.

European countries plundered every continent and colonised them as we all well know. It's far too late to give the land back to the Apache and the Sioux. However, you are correct, America does try really hard to integrate people from all over the world into its society. Hence the greencard lottery. It has far more than one redeeming feature as you are also well aware.

I think there would be much more of an oil surplus than India and China could take up in the short term don't you? They're not like our 'two car +' family countries.

With regard to your 'contributions per capita' paragraph, I would be interested to hear where you get your figures from. I was of the opinion that there are more dollars leaving these shores, both private and governmental, in the name of charity than any other country in the world so I'm not quite with you there. Also, there are only around 260M people in this vast country. Maybe you would care to expand on that. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong on that one.

In France, they do ignore you if you request a coffee in any other language but theirs. So both Americans and Brits are in the same boat there eh?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 11:17   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
What about the right to free speech.

Will that right be kept?'
No. So please shut up now!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 11:37   #21
God Member

How are we supposed to have peace when there seems to be handbag fights in the mid atlantic. Out in the world art present is a minority of radicals that are intent on destroying our way of life yet the argument seems to be about colonial indiscretions and war. If it wasnt for the marshal plan and the Americans redistributiion of the wealth they found they had we would be in a mess. Europe would not have been rebuilt nore would we have the trade we do end result we would have proberly have had our butts kicked by the radicals.

It does not matter wether the problems we have today are the outcome of the colonial carry on though they proberly are we need to fix them. If we dont are we going to have to live like they have in Northern Ireland for the last 30 odd years? If we want peace we need to work on it and not give up trying as the more we bicker the more we play into the hands of the radicals. Should we give up on this then it would be like the middle ages again with all the misery that entails.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 11:38   #22
Give, give, give member

Just a question, if Britain and the United States has such a special relationship, why is it that residents of the UK aren't allowed to enter the green card lottery, yet if you are Irish you can do??

By the way, I love American literature, everything from Truman Capote to Brett Easton Ellis, though the last good American main stream film, was produced in the 60's.

Old 28-09-2005, 11:44   #23
God Member

Quote:
Just a question, if Britain and the United States has such a special relationship, why is it that residents of the UK aren't allowed to enter the green card lottery, yet if you are Irish you can do??

By the way, I love American literature, everything from Truman Capote to Brett Easton Ellis, though the last good American main stream film, was produced in the 60's.
They reckon over the years the Brits have had their share of green cards, but as there is a large Irish American population with powerful influence in the senate then they will always get first pick.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 11:49   #24
Give, give, give member

Not the same Irish Americans that supported the freedom fighters in Ireland?

Namely the IRA.

The same freedom fighters who were committed to a sustained terrorist campaign on the mainland UK, that resulted in the deaths and maiming of innocent men, women and children?

Like nooooo way.

Old 28-09-2005, 11:57   #25
God Member

Quote:
Not the same Irish Americans that supported the freedom fighters in Ireland?

Namely the IRA.

The same freedom fighters who were committed to a sustained terrorist campaign on the mainland UK, that resulted in the deaths and maiming of innocent men, women and children?

Like nooooo way.
Sorry G but unfortunately yes and they all had plenty of money to do it. Makes me wonder what will they do with the cash now the IRA is following peaceful means now?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 12:03   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:

In France, they do ignore you if you request a coffee in any other language but theirs. So both Americans and Brits are in the same boat there eh?

Having worked in the USA for two months of the year for a decade I really struggle ordering coffee in America.

"Gee, can you say that again you just sound like the Queen."

Old 28-09-2005, 12:17   #27
God Member

Tell them bohemian rapsody and you are a staunch supporter of a british republic.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 12:31   #28
Junior Member+

Thanks for the welcome John. Like I say, interesting thread. Im currently in a muslim country and am learning that all America preaches isnt always the right way. So I was just playing devils advocate.
Im tempted to play the Kyoto card, but maybe that should be for another day!
Georgie Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 12:49   #29

Quote:
I asked this question of the immigration people when I was going through my application for a green card. The answer was that there is already a large British population here. I know that to be true although, I didn't consider it was a fully satisfactory answer to my question as I also know there is a large Irish population here.

I do believe that America and Britain have a special relationship and I also believe that, contrary to popular opinion in Britain, the American people cherish that relationship. The average American would be mortified to hear the amount of critisism that is directed at them from the people who, they believe, are their greatest and most loyal allies. I know that American foreign policy can often leave a lot to be desired, however, so can the foreign policies of most of the powerful countries of the world. People here are very split over the Iraq war but I often wonder how much of the critisism we hear internally is just political posturing. I really do not believe you can judge a people by their government. I myself stand a little right of the centre line, but some of my ideals cross over the line and lean a little to the left. The Democratic party make a lot of noise about what is happening but I wonder how different it would be if they were in power. It never ceases to amaze me that they go on about human rights and the killing of innocent Iraqis, at the same time condoning abortion. Please don't get me wrong, I think there are circumstances where abortion is a reasonable option. I also believe, that in the fight for democracy, innocent people will die and there are certainly innocent Iraqis dying because they wish to visit the polling booth. Of course, we all know it is not that simple and the different tribes seem to be determined to wipe each other out on good old religious grounds. Let's face it, the world is in one hell of a mess, it certainly isn't all the fault of America and Britain.

It is my considered opinion that Britain and America would do well to foster their special relationship. It has advantages for both sides and I also believe that the average American has far more love in their hearts for the average Brit than do most of our so-called, European partners.

:engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil:

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 28-09-2005 at 12:51.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 13:04   #30
God Member

Europe is jealouse of the relationship John hence there disire to become a federal set up so they can rival the States. At least it works 98% of the time overthere which is more than can be said for the EU who have too many national differnces for it to work.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..