Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2013, 16:44   #136
God Member

Re: Post Office Sell Off - Welcome To Tory Britain

weve been known to agree on things ,in the past here comes 3 day a week post
Old 29-09-2013, 18:45   #137
Senior Member+

If your lucky
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:27   #138
God Member

well goodbye British owned royal mail as the Singaporean and Kuwaiti governments are the main shareholders. another great British institution sold down the river by the tories
Old 11-10-2013, 22:23   #139
God Member

you forgot the words " loss making" ..

this will either make it stands up on its own two feet or die. Why should we subsidise a loss making industry.

this offering still leaves the pension deficit of a badly run organisation with the uk tax payer. something I think is a tragedy from a business perspective but critical from a human citizen perspective. could you say to each postie that you would rather sell his pension down the river for a few more quid on the table now?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 11-10-2013 at 22:32.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 22:38   #140

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
you forgot the words " loss making" ..

this will either make it stands up on its own feet or die. Why should we subsidise a loss making industry.
It's such a loss making industry that the share value has risen by almost 25%..obviously someone with money thinks that the loss can be turned around..OR...the bankers and paper waving morons on the floor are massaging the figures to make a killing when prices drop.

I'd bet the latter...paper waving morons and bankers make a fortune and the public lose a trusted service
Old 11-10-2013, 23:03   #141
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
It's such a loss making industry that the share value has risen by almost 25%..obviously someone with money thinks that the loss can be turned around..OR...the bankers and paper waving morons on the floor are massaging the figures to make a killing when prices drop.

I'd bet the latter...paper waving morons and bankers make a fortune and the public lose a trusted service
We've had all this argy bargy about selling off the post office, but at this moment who owns the post office, and who is running it.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 00:25   #142
God Member

its the assets that's what they are after, I counted at least 20 royal mail properties in Fulham hammersmith Chelsea Kensington very affluent areas last week. these buildings will be sold off cheaply and the work outsourced to the likes of the tax dodging tnt, the inept yodel. some things are worth keeping. in the long run its going to cost British firms billions. the main shareholders are the Kuwaiti and Singaporean government hedge fund. this was an important piece of British infrastructure. god help us now remember the tories said splitting up the utilities would create competition and make energy cheaper, which they really meant the competition was who could raise the prices the quickest. royal mail was breaking even before the price increases. the royal mail provided decent and permanent jobs for which you need to create a fair and decent society and not the society of envy which the right wing and tory press are trying to portray.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26   #143

Post Office Sell Off - Welcome To Tory Britain

The price has gone up because the business can now be actually run as a business and not just as a loss making community service. I am pleased the nations debt is not going to rise, and the fact that billions can be recovered in the process is a win win.

Royal Mail now stands a chance as a business, time will tell if it makes something of the opportunity it now has. My hope is the government sells it's remaining 30% stake.

The concept of loss of Britishness is such nonsense. There are loads if examples of successful British businesses, like Intercontinental Hotels or Diagio.

Most people in the world think Guiness is an Irish drink, but it isn't, it's British owned. People also think Smirnoff is Russian, but it too is British. Have Ireland and Russia lost their identity? No, not at all, they were just acquired by the largest spirits manufacturer in the world (Diageo), which happens to be British !

4 of the top 15 drinks brands in the world are British (Johnny Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys, Crown Royal). So raise a British glass to the Royal Mail freed from the shackles of the state. Good luck to them.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:16   #144

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
The price has gone up because the business can now be actually run as a business and not just as a loss making community service. I am pleased the nations debt is not going to rise, and the fact that billions can be recovered in the process is a win win.

Royal Mail now stands a chance as a business, time will tell if it makes something of the opportunity it now has. My hope is the government sells it's remaining 30% stake.

The concept of loss of Britishness is such nonsense. There are loads if examples of successful British businesses, like Intercontinental Hotels or Diagio.

Most people in the world think Guiness is an Irish drink, but it isn't, it's British owned. People also think Smirnoff is Russian, but it too is British. Have Ireland and Russia lost their identity? No, not at all, they were just acquired by the largest spirits manufacturer in the world (Diageo), which happens to be British !

4 of the top 15 drinks brands in the world are British (Johnny Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys, Crown Royal). So raise a British glass to the Royal Mail freed from the shackles of the state. Good luck to them.
It's worked so well for the energy 'businesses' who are currently (pun intended) in the process of screwing us for even more money to put into the back pockets of investors, whilst threatening the possibility of blackouts in the winter through lack of investment. Foreign investment wins, British public freeze and sit in the dark. But hey, as long as it's run as a business who cares how many pensioners have to sit in their homes wondering whether to risk having a hot meal which costs more in fuel to make than it does to buy the ingredients.

It's worked so well for the train 'businesses' who can't run trains because of the wrong type of snow, have outdated rolling stock, constant delays and have so many variations on pricing for a Preston/London return that you need a degree in economics to find the best price. Foreign investment cream the money, British public left freezing their nuts off on a draughty station waiting for the inevitably delayed train. But hey, as long as it's run like a business who cares that unprofitable routes are cut leaving some people without the option of public transport

Guinness is an Irish drink, Vodka is a Russian drink (Smirnoff is a brand name), just like Tea is an English drink (don't see many plantations up the coppice). I fail to see the relevance of this argument other than you attempting to show you know things that 'most people in the world' do not.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05   #145
God Member

Quote:

that's because your nuts to run a business like so called ukplc you need infrastructure they have wrecked every bit of infrastructure that made Britain great every other country copied the British blueprint and think we are nuts getting rid of it. the tories say they are for business when they are the opposite. 1. they give huge tax dodging hedge fund firms backing when they should be giving support to the small medium business encouraging starting up business instead of giving the multinationals an unfair advantage by giving them taxpayer money in grants tax breaks etc. you need to create conditions for a successful economy for everybody not just the bankers and their hedge funds. you are talking about diageo when you have no clue about them they make me angry. johnny walker was from Kilmarnock made and bottled in Kilmarnock now it is an unemployment blackspot a community destroyed as there is not any presence of Johhny walker left in Kilmarnock ehh Diageo shareholders who are the major shareholders? they are another company who get subsidised from taxpayers .they got nearly 1 billion dollars from the good old us of and uk taxpayers
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
For who? H.M.R.C. have stated the gap for Tax avoidance is £3 Billion more now under the Coalition than previous, Mind that should suit down to the ground people like you. The fact we are becoming a tax haven fer you n yer mates, certainly wont prevent the debt rising as far as i can see.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29   #147
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
well goodbye British owned royal mail as the Singaporean and Kuwaiti governments are the main shareholders. another great British institution sold down the river by the tories
You're only angry because you didn't buy some shares.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:34   #148

Wont be long before we have a drop in centre to collect yer mail!
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:25   #149
I am Banned

Nobody has aswered my question ?.
We've had all this argy bargy about selling off the post office, who have got shares & who have'nt,
but at this moment who owns the post office, and who is running it, whos paying the wages of the bloke who just pushed a letter through the letter box ?.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 13:48   #150
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Nobody has aswered my question ?.
We've had all this argy bargy about selling off the post office, who have got shares & who have'nt,
but at this moment who owns the post office, and who is running it, whos paying the wages of the bloke who just pushed a letter through the letter box ?.
This sell of is nothing what so ever to do with the Post Office, its a different animal altogether, different business.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..