Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2010, 21:10   #16
God Member

Re: Pretending to grit

its not comunisium its management and each council shoudl have an empoyed manager who is qualified to handle a multi million pund budget.The elected councilors can then put a request in for things relating to their district or put joint ideas forward and proposals for teh area and prove that after the cost therses enough money left for essentials

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2010, 21:16   #17

So, the people who have been elected by us , the people, in a democratic way, should then have to "request" from a non accountable or elected person?

No it should be the other way round and it is. The elected people take the decisions after consulting with professionals in certain areas. For example on gritting....I guarantee the people making the decisions had years of previous information, weather maps, metereologists , traffic and road experts..... and all those got it wrong. You only see the face of all that, which is the easy target
Old 17-01-2010, 23:43   #18
God Member

elected people can deal with teh polotics and a competant person ie a manager can be in charge of teh money its not rocket science there is nothing undemocratic about having a person in employment to be in charge of teh budget regardless of what party is in power and teh person is answerable because he is in a job and if they dont do teh job properly they get fired

if a councilor wants somthing for their area they can put it to the vote amongst the other councilors and if they get the agreement/win the vote then they can go ask the manager in charge of the money if it is available and if it isnt because the manager has set aside money to allow for public services then the request gets refused and they have to find teh money elsewhere

the problem with outside advice is that it can be ignored and will be just like the advice given over what they should award themselves as a payrise was where they were recomended i think it was around %6 and they had a vote where they decided a %25 payrise was in order.I forget where i read about this it could well of been on here when the expenses etc got plastered over the site and it could well have been our very own council

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 18-01-2010, 08:55   #19
God Member

How do any of you even know that there was ever enough grit in the country to begin with to deal with this weather? Money can't buy something that isn't there to begin with. And if they councils had stocked up on it earlier on they'd be being criticised for speculative investments and potentially wasting cash on something that we may have not needed.

And unfortunately, with a budget like the one this country has, I don't think there is money to waste of 'being safe rather than sorry'. If people can't cope driving on the roads, then don't drive. The main roads have been gritted and MOST people can cope with getting to the main road aided on foot by others if necessary, to get on public transport to go where they need to. Obviously there are exceptions but if people pulled together to help one another then it would be fine.

Gritters obviously aren't employed to just dump down grit wherever they go, so we've seen them driving around not doing anything.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 10:14   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
How do any of you even know that there was ever enough grit in the country to begin with to deal with this weather?
Just for you, blazey,

Quote:
De-icing or gritting salt is nothing like the white grains we use to season food. Made from crushed rock salt carved out of underground mines, it is brownish in colour and resembles gravel.

The salt used to melt ice and add traction on the UK's snow-covered byways comes not from the sea but from three main mines - the Salt Union's Winsford Rock Salt Mine in Cheshire, Cleveland Potash in Teesside and the Irish Salt Mining and Exploration Company in County Antrim.
Taken from:-
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Where does road salt come from?

Just a simple google will often save someone from posting in ignorance.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 10:23   #21
Senior Member+

Black ice is hidden and dangerous. We should be gritting according to the conditions, rain, dew, temperature. Not by eyesight from an elevated cab in the dark.

Some councils had 69 days, Lancashire had about 10 or 12.

Not having enough grit is not a budge choice but false economy. For every £ saved I would not be surprised to see it costing everyone else in society £10 in accidents/inconvience.

Local decisions should not have been removed with a soviet style approach.

Driving around Fern Gore 3 times with a flashing light and an empty cage is wasteful.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 10:40   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
And unfortunately, with a budget like the one this country has, I don't think there is money to waste of 'being safe rather than sorry
and im sure the poor family of the child that died after slipping on ice outside her school will agree with you along with all teh others who have slipped and broken their bones

or was it their own fault for been clumbsy

and as for not having a budget to provide the money teh UK seems to be able to dig it up for haiti infact today they just announced they are trippling the amount already sent

Last edited by accyman; 18-01-2010 at 10:43.
Old 18-01-2010, 11:08   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the problem with outside advice is that it can be ignored and will be just like the advice given over what they should award themselves as a payrise was where they were recomended i think it was around %6 and they had a vote where they decided a %25 payrise was in order.I forget where i read about this it could well of been on here when the expenses etc got plastered over the site and it could well have been our very own council
You could have read it here...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...and-45105.html

or here...

Council makes a meal of rises - News - Accrington Observer

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 11:13   #24
Give, give, give member

'COUNTY highways chiefs have admitted the amount of salt spread on main roads has been cut by 50 per cent after reports of wagons 'pretending to grit'.

Gritting reduced by 50 per cent in Lancashire (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 18-01-2010, 13:36   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'COUNTY highways chiefs have admitted the amount of salt spread on main roads has been cut by 50 per cent after reports of wagons 'pretending to grit'.

Gritting reduced by 50 per cent in Lancashire (From Lancashire Telegraph)
my ex told me she was faking it and now i find out teh council have been too

Old 18-01-2010, 14:46   #26
Full Member+

Gritting reduced by 50 per cent in Lancashire (From Lancashire Telegraph)[/quote]

Link already there see post 1
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 15:07   #27
Give, give, give member

I was highlighting a direct quote, hence the link it was from was given, again.

Old 18-01-2010, 15:16   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was highlighting a direct quote, hence the link it was from was given, again.

not good enough garinda now be put in your place, theres standards to be kept you know and theres plenty of people willing to point them out despite not adding anything constructive themselves while doing so

Old 18-01-2010, 16:17   #29
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
not good enough garinda now be put in your place, theres standards to be kept you know and theres plenty of people willing to point them out despite not adding anything constructive themselves while doing so

Quite right Accyman, standards. Where would we be without 'em? Probably with gritters pretending to grit
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 18:26   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just for you, blazey,

Taken from:-
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Where does road salt come from?

Just a simple google will often save someone from posting in ignorance.

No offence but Ireland is a different country. Well done though.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..