Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2010, 18:39   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Pretending to grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
No offence but Ireland is a different country. Well done though.
Another quick google would put you right, Ireland is part of the British Isles,

Quote:
The British Isles are a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental Europe that include Great Britain, Ireland and over six-thousand smaller islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

Admittedly it's taken from Wiki, but even they are known to be more accurate than you prove yourself to be.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2010, 18:46   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey
No offence but Ireland is a different country. Well done though.
Eire or The Republic of Ireland is a different country but Antrim is in Norn Iron which is part of the UK. Here's a link to Antrim Borough Council website.

Antrim Borough Council :: The Council

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 18:52   #33
God Member

those damn lucky irish having all that sea water around them, if only england had sea water readily available we would have loads of gritt

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 19:57   #34
Resting in Peace

One thing that did made me seethe a little was a letter in the Observer from a lady who was grumbling about the grit bins being removed ? Never seen a grit bin down Clayton .. besides most people would use it on the road wouldn't they to get their precious cars out ? Goes on to say that the elderly would not be so housebound if they gritted the town centre ... but you have to get to the bus first from their abode. You can slip on the smallest amount of ice unfortunately ... the young girl that, sadly, lost her life is a prime example. On the days where there was closure at schools, we sent our kids out to sledge/snowball, etc., in the snow to give them a lovely experience that it can be fun, but still has its 'danger' element.

She was suggesting that we get rid of the flower towers to subsidise them ... ok, let's not improve the aesthetics of Accrington, just in case we have unusual adverse weather conditions in Winter. Sure the budget for these would not have even made a dent.

Was even letter of the week !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 20:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
One thing that did made me seethe a little was a letter in the Observer from a lady who was grumbling about the grit bins being removed ? Never seen a grit bin down Clayton ..
Just before the winter set in the small footpath between my street and Hynburn road was re-tarmacked.

Immediately afterwards a new grit bin appeared at one end of it, the surprising thing was that it had two hasps on it ready for a couple of padlocks, thinking ahead the powers that be must have known how much in value salt would increase in the area if ever it was used therefore forcing the need for security.

The padlocks never actually were put into position, perhaps because no salt was ever put into the bin, but, if salt had been added it is good to know that they wouldn't have allowed it to be used frivolously.

Old 18-01-2010, 20:30   #36
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Another quick google would put you right, Ireland is part of the British Isles,

British Isles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Admittedly it's taken from Wiki, but even they are known to be more accurate than you prove yourself to be.

further to Less's observations Antrim is 1 of the 6 counties that make up Northern Ireland therefore making them British and taking their lead from the British Government & loyal to the Crown.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 20:47   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
further to Less's observations Antrim is 1 of the 6 counties that make up Northern Ireland therefore making them British and taking their lead from the British Government & loyal to the Crown.
Come on, sure Blazey was talking about Southern Ireland ..
Old 18-01-2010, 20:57   #38

Quote:
Come on, sure Blazey was talking about Southern Ireland ..
If so, what relevance does that have to Antrim?

Which is one of the places mentioned for mining salt?

Quote:
County Antrim (Irish: Contae Aontroma or simply Aontroim) is one of the traditional counties of Ireland. It is located within the province of Ulster and is part of Northern Ireland. It was named after the town of Antrim.
Which as seen by yet another quick google that anyone can do without attempting to defend someone else's ignorance by showing their own!
Old 18-01-2010, 22:02   #39
God Member

Anyhow the salt mines are in Carrickfergus. Discovered by Less's favourite search engine.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 22:18   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If so, what relevance does that have to Antrim?

Nowt Less .. just pointing out that when Blazey made her first statement she was referring to S. Ireland, not N. Ireland.

Which as seen by yet another quick google that anyone can do without attempting to defend someone else's ignorance by showing their own!
Not ignorant of N/S Ireland Less .. have travelled there on all roads of this Emerald Isle... didn't have to google..like yerself
Old 18-01-2010, 22:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Anyhow the salt mines are in Carrickfergus. Discovered by Less's favourite search engine.
Looking at the map perhaps I should apologise?

I didn't realise how close to Southern Ireland it is situated!

and if the scale of the map was even smaller it would be closer still!

Old 18-01-2010, 22:31   #42

Quote:
Nowt Less .. just pointing out that when Blazey made her first statement she was referring to S. Ireland, not N. Ireland.

Not ignorant of N/S Ireland Less .. have travelled there on all roads of this Emerald Isle... didn't have to google..like yerself
Which proves her ignorance, because the statement she gave showed she thought Antrim wasn't where it is.

Obviously ignorant of me though, aren't you? my ex wife was from Southern Ireland and many a happy time I had travelling to numerous places in that beautiful land, but even if I had spent all my life as a tramp travelling that Country I doubt that I could make such a false statement as to claim:-

Quote:
have travelled there on all roads
How ridiculous!

P.S., why not just admit that you felt a need to defend blazey because it gave you an excuse to attempt a dig at me, (as is your whimsical way).

Old 18-01-2010, 23:08   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Was even letter of the week !!
It's not like the old days, when the winning leter of the week was an ode to joy, and thee and me could enjoy the spoils of your victory...in The Calder.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 20:02   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have just seen a gritter on Catlow Hall Street and wait for it, he was gritting, I saw it and heard it hit the car
Old 19-01-2010, 20:21   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have just seen a gritter on Catlow Hall Street and wait for it, he was gritting, I saw it and heard it hit the car

so its not the councils fault its teh weather not ariving to schedule

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..