Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2010, 14:09   #1
God Member

Quick Q re Hyndburn homes

having never rented anywhere I'm not sure how this bit works so would appreciate some advice.

Mum moved into a HH sheltered flat. before we moved her in HH did a "refurb" ( in the loosest terms, I can plaster better than it was left. ) and appears they cut the BT line that leads from outside to the main box as it went through teh kitchen they were fitting new units into. Now its a condition of the tenancy that a line is there for the alarm blip but BT have said there may be a charge of 128 quid to fix it ( now where they reckon a basic callout should cost 128 quid is a different matter!!!). As this was effectively a deliberate act can we pass teh bill on to HH or do we have to pick up their mess?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-09-2010, 14:42   #2
God Member

Re: Quick Q re Hyndburn homes

The 'refurb' will have been done by Hyndburn Homes Repairs (run separately from Hyndburn Homes itself)
I would contact them with this complaint - if they ruined the connection, they should fix it FREE

http://www.contourhousing.co.uk/?appid=2461

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:42   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Dunno if they can tell ya ian, but i would ring welfare rights n ask, there very helpful n if not they should point ya in right direction.
Old 23-09-2010, 16:51   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Smile Re: Quick Q re Hyndburn homes

When I moved into my rented fully refurbished, house, my phone line had been disconnected, I rang BT they told me there would be a similar charge to yours, however when the engineer called they did it free of charge, get them out and be pleasant, the same result may occur for your Mum
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 18:58   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
When I moved into my rented fully refurbished, house, my phone line had been disconnected, I rang BT they told me there would be a similar charge to yours, however when the engineer called they did it free of charge, get them out and be pleasant, the same result may occur for your Mum
That musta been hard Less?
Old 23-09-2010, 19:27   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
having never rented anywhere I'm not sure how this bit works so would appreciate some advice.

Mum moved into a HH sheltered flat. before we moved her in HH did a "refurb" ( in the loosest terms, I can plaster better than it was left. ) and appears they cut the BT line that leads from outside to the main box as it went through teh kitchen they were fitting new units into. Now its a condition of the tenancy that a line is there for the alarm blip but BT have said there may be a charge of 128 quid to fix it ( now where they reckon a basic callout should cost 128 quid is a different matter!!!). As this was effectively a deliberate act can we pass teh bill on to HH or do we have to pick up their mess?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ian
Hi Ian, can you not find the break and splice the joint, or find where it comes into the flat and put a socket there, and run an extension, although there are 4 wires, only two of them are used.
Usually a new socket comes with a wiring diagram with pictures.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 19:39   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That musta been hard Less?
The trouble with you is short memory, I'm always pleasant...

Until I meet someone that deserves different, hasn't happened to you yet, but may I advise you not to skate on thin ice?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 12:30   #8

Hello Ian. Can you (or your Mum) Ring 0345 270 7150 or write to Jonathan Kenyon, Support Service Manager, Hyndburn Homes Repairs, Unit B3, Syke Side Drive, Altham BB5 5YE and we will fully investigate the matter and reply accordingly.
debmonitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 20:24   #9
God Member

Thanks for the reply, BT came out yesterday and fixed it. Basically the lads doing the kitchen had just cut it off where it came through the window and where it went out the kitchen into the hallway.

He didn't mention if they would charge so we will find out on her next bill. If I was HHR I'd start telling the guys to stop cutting them unless there is a very good reason. ( although I'd also ask them to improve their plastering skills as well as the quality of it in my Mums flat was absolutely disgraceful for "tradesmen". If they had to rely on recommendation for their livelihood they'd be on the dole before tea time)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 20:26   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
the lads doing the kitchen had just cut it off where it came through the window and where it went out the kitchen into the hallway.

They usally apply the same technique to TV aerials and sky cables as well
Old 25-09-2010, 21:00   #11
God Member

I suppose it's pot luck which workmen you get.
For my bathroom I had a good plasterer and plumber but the decoratorating was subcontracted, done by an apprentice left to his own devices = rubbish.
At least that is something I can easily fix

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..