Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Race hate or just speaking freely?
Speaking freely 12 75.00%
Race hate 4 25.00%
Not bothered 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2007, 20:51   #31
God Member

Re: Race hate or Freedom of speech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Well you are all wrong!!!

Fish and chips were actually brought into england by Burton's

And there was me thinking that was a tailors shop
Old 29-10-2007, 21:36   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
And there was me thinking that was a tailors shop
yep, but they were Jewish tailors (from Leeds) same as John Collier and Weaver to Wearer
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 21:37   #33
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
The Volksvagen was copied off the Jowet Javellin, a British car manufactured pre 2nd WW

Apropos nothing much and perhaps thread-wandering for which I apologise, the Jowett Javelin wasn't manufactured until 1947, having been designed around 1944. My dad bought one in 1952 when it was still thought of as a car "ahead of its time".
Old 29-10-2007, 21:37   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
yep, but they were Jewish tailors (from Leeds) same as John Collier and Weaver to Wearer
Okay I'll take your word for it
Old 29-10-2007, 21:43   #35
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Race hate or Freedom of speech?

I hate to spoil anyone’s illusions about the Volkswagen but it had nothing to do with the Jowett Javelin.

The famous Volkswagen Beetle came into being in 1936 - http://www.pre67vw.co.uk/
Old 29-10-2007, 21:48   #36
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I hate to spoil anyone’s illusions about the Volkswagen but it had nothing to do with the Jowett Javelin.

I didn't have any illusions.
Old 29-10-2007, 21:50   #37
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Race hate or Freedom of speech?

You can read about the Beetle history here http://www.pre67vw.co.uk/history/
Old 29-10-2007, 22:22   #38
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
You can read about the Beetle history here http://www.pre67vw.co.uk/history/
We used to have one in dad's scrap yard it was used as a toilet and rightly so, Ill bow to your greater experience about the origins of the V/W jambutty, just going off what dad told me it was a copy of a Jowet of similar shape, the Javellin was the only model I could think of. I had an uncle who was a prisoner of the 'Japs' he would not have anything Japanese in the house, we forget and forgive far to easily what these tyrants did to our forebears, and in my case my close relatives. The cheeky Japs are seeking compensation from us now, no wonder there are misguided idiots on here being indoctrinated in enemy hugging at public expense in universities.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 19:36   #39
God Member

"Race" is a tricky issue, and it is one that all countries which can be termed "desirable places to live" are facing. In Canada, everyone apart from the First Nations comes from somewhere else. Yet Canadians are aware (those that think are anyway) that over the decades ... we are too young a country to think in centuries ... a uniquely Canadian culture has grown up. We have reached the point at which Canadian governments are about to make entry into this country as a landed immigrant (one step below citizenship, or, the first step towards citizenship) more difficult, and to argue for a degree of conformity to a loosely defined "Canadianism." In other words, there are certain things a new immigrant would have to give up. For example, the Federal govt. is about to pass a law whose effect would be that Muslim women will have to remove their veils in order to vote in Federal elections. The argument is, and it is one that I agree with, is that all Canadians who vote have to provide the election officials with photo id. In other words, they have to show a "face." This is seen by some as an attack on Islam, by others as a reasonable conformity to the law of the land. As an aside, most Muslim leaders agree that it reasonable and have no problem with women showing their faces to a female election official. The province of Quebec, however, does appear to be taking things a lot farther. They already have laws which require all public signs to be in French only, and laws requiring immigrants to send their children to French-only schools. They wish to protect a unique culture, a large French-speaking enclave in a largely English-speaking country. They don't believe, nor do most Candians, that this is racist. The message seems to be: "Living in Canada is a privelege; fit in or f*** off."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..