Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2008, 22:58   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Rape Victim Given Permission To Sue The Rapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
But the whole point here is should a victim be able to claim compensation from the criminal after s/he has served the time if the criminal happens to come into some money after being convicted?l.
Simple answer no.

I think you need to detach the actual crime from the story here and think about the idea.

You should not be able to claim after the 6 year period just because the criminal comes into money. It is not crime dependant in my opinion. As stated you are punished by the court, that should be the end of it. Surely this would be like punishing the criminal twice.
Old 31-01-2008, 23:01   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well at the very least he should be made to pay some of this money into the 'victim's fund' (if only the £5,000).
Why, he served his time as punishment decided on by the law of this land. Why should he be punished again? I know that rape is a very sensitive subject, would you think the same if he was a burglar or a tax dodger?
Old 31-01-2008, 23:26   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why, he served his time as punishment decided on by the law of this land. Why should he be punished again? I know that rape is a very sensitive subject, would you think the same if he was a burglar or a tax dodger?
YES i would if they came into the money the way he did whilst on day release n still serving his too short sentence.
Old 31-01-2008, 23:31   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
YES i would if they came into the money the way he did whilst on day release n still serving his too short sentence.
Then it is the law which is wrong, and not this man, who bought a lottery ticket quite legally.

Will you have the situation where a woman who was raped by a penniless barsteward, feels cheated, because she won't be able to sue him?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 23:34   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Then it is the law which is wrong, and not this man, who bought a lottery ticket quite legally.

Will you have the situation where a woman who was raped by a penniless barsteward, feels cheated, because she won't be able to sue him?
Dont be naive garinda, tax payers would then pay her compensation so its all nice and fair.

Isn't this a bit like double jeopardy?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 23:38   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

said the law should be changed,much earlier in tht thread, to make the piece of crap part with it would be natural justice.
Old 31-01-2008, 23:53   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
But when it comes down to fraud and law breaking where money is involved there is often an attachment made to the persons estate to recoup some of the money lost!!

I have to agree though I think that if this was the law then you would have the courts full of people trying to claim compensation years after the crime..where would it end??

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 23:55   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
said the law should be changed,much earlier in tht thread, to make the piece of crap part with it would be natural justice.
I agree, there is some sort of poetic justice in this case, but in my mind it still doesn't make it right.

We all should be equal before the law, as I've said in another thread this week. If out judical system says that a person has paid for his crime, that should be the end of the matter, regardless if he subsequently comes into a fortune, or is declared bankrupt.

Compensation for the victim should be paid in relation to the severity of the crime, not how much is in his, or her, attacker's bank balance.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..