Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2008, 12:41   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Rape Victim Given Permission To Sue The Rapist.

The Law Lords have ruled that a victim of rape can now sue the rapist even though her claim is outside the six-years deadline.

Until now sexual abuse victims have been prevented from bringing a claim more than six years after an attack or, in child abuse cases, more than six years after the victim reaches 18.

This ruling is plainly wrong and will no doubt open the floodgates for other claims. Why should a criminal years after the crime, be liable to be sued just because of either good fortune or hard work he has increased his bank balance?

Iorworth Hoare, 53, was jailed for life in May 1989 for the attempted rape of the 59-year-old woman, Mrs A, in Leeds.”

Hoare won £7m on the Lottery on the 7th August 2004 whilst on day release prior to permanent release. Prisoners on day release are allowed to buy Lottery tickets. Hoare was released on strict conditions under a life license in March 2005.

The Law in its wisdom decreed that there is a statute of limitation on suing someone and until that is lawfully changed after due process this Law Lords ruling is WRONG.
Old 30-01-2008, 20:29   #2

Re: Rape Victim Given Permission To Sue The Rapist.

I think the ruling is wrong. The lady in question was reported as having received £5000 compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board , which I imagine was accepted by herself or her solicitors. ( I don’t know how that system works, I assume it is fair )

I thought that the general idea of going to prison was to be punished, pay your debt to society and make a new start upon release. Under this ruling it would seem that that is not the case anymore.
Old 30-01-2008, 21:16   #3
Super Moderator

In legal terms, wrong it might be, but I hope this poor lady takes this piece of scum for every penny she can get out of him. Unjust?...perhaps, but in my eyes, it's natural justice!
Old 30-01-2008, 22:17   #4

why the hell did he have the privelege to buy a ticket any way if you go to jail do not pass go do not collect 200
Old 30-01-2008, 22:20   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
In legal terms, wrong it might be, but I hope this poor lady takes this piece of scum for every penny she can get out of him. Unjust?...perhaps, but in my eyes, it's natural justice!
agreed but natural justice dont sit well with some.
Old 30-01-2008, 22:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
why the hell did he have the privelege to buy a ticket any way if you go to jail do not pass go do not collect 200
Perhaps it was a sunny day and all the screws were in a good mood.

Fact is he won a prize on his day out, I for one do not see why this lady has any claim on that prize.
Old 30-01-2008, 22:23   #7
Resident Waffler

I think the first wrong was allowing him to buy a lottery ticket whilst in jail.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 22:31   #8

this mug rapped a women and can move on as a million pound winner thats justice so who says crime doesnt pay
Old 30-01-2008, 22:32   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Perhaps it was a sunny day and all the screws were in a good mood.

Fact is he won a prize on his day out, I for one do not see why this lady has any claim on that prize.
how about hes a dirty stinking rapist who left women possibly/probably scarred for life, who came across millions by luck/chance, and deserves to be made to part with it. NATURAL JUSTICE.
Old 30-01-2008, 22:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
this mug rapped a women and can move on as a million pound winner thats justice so who says crime doesnt pay
I don’t think any woman who has been a victim of rape will ever feel that justice has been had, irrespective of the perpetrators sentence, I can’t imagine the anguish and stress such women endure. I am wary that this particular ruling is going to open the floodgates to claims being made against folk who commit lesser crimes, who have already paid fines or compensation to victims etc.
The phrase “ if you cant do the time don’t do the crime” is often bandied about. Time was served, punishment taken. Must he care for this woman financially until he ends his days?
Old 30-01-2008, 22:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
how about hes a dirty stinking rapist who left women possibly/probably scarred for life, who came across millions by luck/chance, and deserves to be made to part with it. NATURAL JUSTICE.
The woman will be scarred for life, not possibly scarred for life. 12 just men presided over the case, found him guilty, punishment was meted out and compensation given to the victim.
Old 30-01-2008, 23:09   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
The woman will be scarred for life, not possibly scarred for life. 12 just men presided over the case, found him guilty, punishment was meted out and compensation given to the victim.
so its fine that he lives happily ever after, not in my book.
Old 30-01-2008, 23:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so its fine that he lives happily ever after, not in my book.
Whether he lives with a conscience has all his winnings taken off him, I couldn’t really care less. I’m saying that if this ruling is upheld for victims of rape and sex crimes, then it will automatically go right through the whole system, where will it end. You cant have a lad doing some petty crime in his youth only to be bitten in the arse , again, having paid his dues, if he comes into some good fortune later in life.
My fear, as stated , is that this will run right through the system. You cant have a system where a judge says “ I sentence you to blah blah blah…but if you win the lottery in the future we will have that off you”
Not in my opinion anyway.
Old 30-01-2008, 23:33   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

as he did NOT come into this fortune later in life, but on day release from prison it suits me down to the ground if this piece of crap is relieved of it, after that what needs to happen,is the law should be changed so that prisoners are excluded from purchasing em, so if they do n win tough. when they are FINALLY released i may view it differantly.i always find it very sad when people go with the "scumbag" n not the victim.
Old 30-01-2008, 23:47   #15

He was sentenced in 1989 and won the lottery in 2004 that’s why I said later in life. Having said that, why he was gambling ( doing the Lottery ) whilst serving a sentence is beyond me, he should have been breaking rocks in Siberia or summat

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..