Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2005, 18:37   #16

Re: Red Lights

Careful Panther if your going up their ass then you are too close and you are therefore at fault.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2005, 18:40   #17
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

no i mean on roundabouts, they come shooting out at the last minute, im already on the roundabout, so they are at fault!
Old 13-06-2005, 18:41   #18

oh ok but you know what I mean
Old 13-06-2005, 18:42   #19
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

course i do!
Old 13-06-2005, 18:49   #20

I Know People Just Ingnore Them
Mixdamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 18:55   #21

But they put their own lives and the lives of others at risk and that is not fair.
Old 13-06-2005, 22:25   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
I wonder how many of them know that when they are making a left turn at a junction, PEDESTRIANS have the right of way on the road they are entering.
I think that any pedestrian that walks around thinking they ever have right of way over a car is asking for trouble - even if the highway code says so.
Don't forget that our road designers have no idea what they are doing. In Ossy there are two bus stops within crossing zig zags. You cant stop on the zig zags but some idiot put two bus stop's there anyway. ( And another bus stop is right after the mini roundabout at the bottom of New Lane.)
Old 13-06-2005, 22:27   #23

Oh I know that is true but legally I mean in those circumstances the pedestrian does have right of way over a left turning driver.
Old 13-06-2005, 22:34   #24
Senior Member+

Pedestrians theoretically have right of way. Period.

Although I nearly ran over some airhead in Brighton the other week - even her partner had a go at her after I narrowly missed hitting her.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 22:37   #25

Its no theory its the law.
Old 14-06-2005, 00:19   #26
I am Banned

in huddersfield thay have cameras that get you if you go through on even amber

bloody good idea cameras on traffic lights that way the culprit cant say it was green after he runs a person down
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 08:30   #27
Senior Member+

The cameras shouldn't get you on amber - it should be red only.

You should only stop on amber if it is safe to do so, ie if you are 2 metres away when the light changes you cannot be expected to stop

Old 14-06-2005, 08:51   #28
God Member

Why not get rid of amber and go straight to red? The cameras could gave a 2 second delay built in. Amber is seen as an ambiguous state, its neither stop nor go, remove that doubt and make life easier fro everyone. Likewise use teh system as in france where flashing green is go if safe
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 08:53   #29
Senior Member+

That would be far too sensible to adopt here

Old 14-06-2005, 16:47   #30
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Why not get rid of amber and go straight to red? The cameras could gave a 2 second delay built in. Amber is seen as an ambiguous state, its neither stop nor go, remove that doubt and make life easier fro everyone. Likewise use teh system as in france where flashing green is go if safe
Amber is never ambiguous. It means the lights are about to change to red. The sequence of traffic lights is red, red and amber, green, amber, red. Therefore, if the light is amber, you should know that any second now it will be red. How many people know that you should never approach a traffic light in fourth gear? - and how many people practise that? If in doubt, come off the gas, give yourself a few seconds more to think. It saves lives, and one of them could be your own.

As for the French system, if people don't stop on red, what makes you think that they will worry about whether flashing green is safe?

Cameras are probably the only answer to check the red-light jumpers. Remember the slogan? - Don't be an amber gambler!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..