Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2005, 11:30   #1

Red Lights

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a big increase in drivers who ignor red lights. I find that I can now predict if the driver in front of me is going to jump a red light. It is making it so I don't trust a green light for fear that one of these idiots is going to be jumping the light accross me. They don't seem to realize the dannger any more. Maybe the all red phase on traffic lights should be increased, not so much to allow for these idiots, but for the safety of others. After all it could be one of us or one of our loved one's they hit. Put cameras on these drivers the revenue taken in fines would, I'm sure be better accepted by the general public than that taken from speed cameras.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2005, 12:19   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Red Lights

there certainly seems to be such an increase fireman,was only commenting on the same a couple of weeks ago,i would like to see cameras at ALL traffic lights,there used to be some in the midlands in the 80s,whatever became of them i wouldn't know?
Old 13-06-2005, 12:25   #3

I'm sure I remember them in Manchester not many years ago too but not seen any for a while.
Old 13-06-2005, 12:31   #4

I too believe more people are jumping the lights. Another thing that annoys me are the idiots who don't use their indicators, I walk a lot of the time & I have lost count of the number of times I have had to jump out of the way bacause some ignorat g*t hasn't bothered to indicate. Even my 7 year old shouts "wheres your indicator" now. How are we supposed to teach kids to cross the road safely while these idiots are about?
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 12:40   #5

I don't think drivers these days read the highway code, they certainly don't adhere to it. I wonder how many of them know that when they are making a left turn at a junction, PEDESTRIANS have the right of way on the road they are entering. Also that Amber means STOP, not put your foot down to try to beat the red light.

Last edited by fireman; 13-06-2005 at 12:41.
Old 13-06-2005, 13:31   #6

Hi Fireman,

Best idea I've heard in a long tim.
Old 13-06-2005, 14:11   #7
Senior Member+

Cameras on traffic lights?

I see them pretty much every day I go out.

You should take a trip to London some time!

Agreed on the indicators though...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 15:08   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

could tell you a funny story about traffic light cameras (re 80s) but it might not be P.C.
Old 13-06-2005, 15:26   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Oh go on Cashman, you know you want to. If you don't tell us your story now you'll have to do it at the next meet up.

I agree about the red lights and the indicators but what bugs me most is people who use the left lane when turning right at roundabouts....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 16:00   #10
Resident Waffler

Could you give us a PC-ish version of it or not?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 16:15   #11
I am Band

Talking Re: Red Lights

Boll**ks to being PC, Cashman. Tell it like it is. We won't respect you any less for being un-PC.

Tell you what, you tell it like it is and I'll give you some karma for it.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 16:30   #12

And the other way Lettie They try to race you round a roundabout in the right lane and then turn left and chop everyone up who is in the correct lane tpo use that particular exit. All comes down to highway code again . I don't think 80% of drivers know the correct way of approaching, and leaving a roundabout.
Old 13-06-2005, 17:10   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I'm sure be better accepted by the general public than that taken from speed cameras.[/QUOTE]

I reckon all speed cameras should be hidden and not put on display, and there should be more of them! especially on harvey st, in ossie, and also moscow mill street, they come down these roads like I cant understand why people are complaining, if they were doing the right speed in the first place they would not be snapped, simple as that. whats more important, the life of a child thats what!
Old 13-06-2005, 17:30   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Also that Amber means STOP, not put your foot down to try to beat the red light.
I only wish the woman who was following me on 7th Feb 2003 knew that, I slowed down and stopped on my motorcycle, her words? " I thought that as a biker he would go through so I accelerated to nip through after him."

Me, broken back, still in daily pain, weekly physio, special chair at work, can't do heavy lifting....40mph into the back of a stationary bike does not do the rider much good. However, now I'm tempted to nip through myself, I get a shiver when they change at that shall I shan't I moment.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 17:49   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i have to say that women drivers (well most of them) are bloody terrible at driving, everytime we nearly gone up the ass end of someone, because of there stupidty, i will probably say 'bet thats a woman?' and 9/10 times it is!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..