Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2005, 18:02   #16

Re: richard whiteley

Latest from the ntl home page
Countdown legend Richard Whiteley died on Sunday from heart problems, aged 61. The presenter and former news reporter had initially been taken ill with pneumonia in May. He later had an operation to cure an infected heart valve but had been thought to be recovering.

His wife Kathryn Apanowicz, 45, was by his side. Whiteley's Countdown co-presenter Carol Vorderman is said to be distraught. Whitely, famous for his bad jokes, co-hosting the show with Carol Vorderman since 1982, when it was the first programme ever transmitted on Channel 4.

Even the Queen is said to be a fan of the popular show and she presented Whiteley with an OBE last November. The show's producers have scrapped their plan to film a new series of the show with guest presenters that they hoped would fill in until Whiteley recovered from illness. They are yet to decide whether they will air the final episodes of Countdown Richard hosted before he became ill
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2005, 19:20   #17
Beacon of light

Episodes are to be shown this week......with the final on Friday along with a tribute to Richard.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 21:23   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

It's so sad when you hear of the death of a nice man, which he always seemed to be. I remember, well, the news episode with the ferret that attached itself to his finger. He was the perfect presenter of Countdown and I don't think the programme can survive without him. It will become "run of the mill", just like Radio 4's "Home Truths" is since the death of John Peel.

I'll miss Richard, his dreadful ties, his garish jackets and his awful puns.
Old 27-06-2005, 22:19   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if it did continue i wonder if carol voderman could,saw her on telly today and felt for her she was genuinly distraught, makes a change from the false botty licking that usually goes on when someone dies.
Old 27-06-2005, 22:22   #20

When my mum found out he had died she was crying for hours and wanted to wake me and ma sister up ye he were a nice man i couldnt really do countdown though

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 14:30   #21

Latest from ntl news
Carol Vorderman has paid a touching tribute to her friend and Countdown co-star Richard Whiteley, who died yesterday aged 61.

"I adored him and I always will," she said of the man she partnered on screen for 23 years. "

In a statement issued today (Monday), Vorderman continued: "We have had thousands of messages from our Countdown family. We even had a message saying Mass is being said for him in Ireland today. He was loved by millions as every day he filled the screen and made us laugh.

"He was the star. Many times the audience was full of students – all younger than Countdown itself – and they came to pay homage to their favourite uncle. They had T-shirts made with his face on. They raided their dads' wardrobes for the worst jacket and tie they could find and they had their hair cut like Richard's.

"I'm privileged to have known him, to have been so close to him and to have been supported and loved by him. I adored him and I always will
Old 28-06-2005, 18:44   #22
Senior Member+

It's a real shame;I was never a fan of the programme but he was obviously a much loved and admired chap.My sympathies to his family.
Old 29-06-2005, 15:25   #23

It did say before he died "Guest presenters" would host the programme until he was well, maybe they will continue doing that, as the programme "Have I Got news For You" has done.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 18:02   #24

Hi all just been on the channel four website. They have opened a (virtual) book of condolence. However it is in the form of a forum and you have to join to log in. However you can read posts without joining. If anyone is iterested follow the link below.

http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...own/index.html

Old 29-06-2005, 18:59   #25
white rabbits

that was interesting.... thanks for that,,,,,,,,,,
Old 29-06-2005, 20:32   #26
Beacon of light

It seems that there are a lot of people out there who will miss this jovial host.......good to read those tributes.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..