Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2006, 07:49   #106
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Sex headlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Like I said we'll have to disagree on the merits of this being a front page story.
Should that post not have read?
Quote:
Like I said we'll have to disagree on the merits of this being a story.
Old 29-01-2006, 13:56   #107
God Member

Behind all the gob-flapping there are some serious issues here. The road in question is one of the oldest in the borough. It is said to date from before the time of the conquest and is described in 1560 as being an ancient royal highway (hence, presumably, its name). It was of considerable use to Colonel Richard Shuttleworth in 1614, during the Civil War, for moving troops to and fro between Manchester, Padiham and Whinney Hill for the battle there. John Wesley, who complained about its state of repair, also later used it.

In the years since the A56 was opened the farmer at Windy Harbour has successfully applied to have the bridleway extinguished along that route, effectively barring all but his overweight daughter from exercising a horse on what is a public right of way. He has imposed three sets of metal gates and numerous boulders to block access from the A56, Burnley Road and Haslingden.
He has also excavated and widened the road leading to his farm. In the process destroying significant portions of old dry-stone walling, the remaining portions are in a state of advanced collapse having had no repairs for many years. Portions of his land adjacent to the track are used to dump ruinous farming equipment, caravans and wrecked earth moving machinery.
In 2004 it was placed at number four on the Environment Agency’s top ten list of fly-tipping sites in the north-west. Fly-tipping attracts a fine of £20,000.

So vexed on this issue was Acrylic-biff that he insisted that we should go and have a look for ourselves at the mountains of refuse inconsiderately piled along what was one of his favourite walks. It was a good, clean, brisk sort of morning and an overnight frost meant that the ground underfoot would be reasonable dry and solid; an important consideration when most of your pooch is merely inches from the ground. So off we trotted.

I have to say that for most of the walk I saw nothing untoward. Yes, it was liberally scattered with litter, but you have to accept that as normal nowadays. The first eyesore we came across was at the junction with Burnley road where a triangular piece of land abuts the A56 bridge. This the farmer at Huncoat Hall had decided to excavate and is in the process of filling with the sweepings from stables and, oddly, piles of old road surface.

It is wrong to say that HBC have done nothing to assist in deterring fly-tippers, they have put a sign up.

In the twenty-five years since it was built I find it surprising that the farmer should have had nothing to say about the mess left behind on the road by the quarrying company; at times the road has disappeared under a sea of mud. But then it is perhaps not so surprising after all when you remember that he used to work for the company.

He now has an even better way of earning money. Do you remember that a little while ago someone asked whether “Gamblers Caves” were still in existence? It is with great sadness that I have to report that they do not. The part of Kings Highway that once led up to the area is now a complete morass, twelve feet or more wide and bears the unmistakable signs of heavy vehicles of the sort manufactured by Messer’s JCB Plc. The pleasant spot that used to be the adventure playground of many of us when we were younger and was home to birds of prey is now turned into this…

The few cows and sheep that once dotted the hillside and helped keep down the scrub are relegated to little more than a hobby now it seems. Its all paving stone and saw dressed building stone now. The next time you are in the DIY store just have a look at how much this stuff is being sold for.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no complaint against enterprise and I am all for using whatever resources you are lucky enough to have to make a good life for yourself and those around you. But I do think that it should be done in a way that respects the environment and the cultural and amenity value of the land you do it on. The pictures above would argue that this is not what is happening here.

It is all very well complaining about fly-tipping and as I have said earlier in this thread no one wants to have to climb over mountains of rubbish to get to their home, but I do think it is a bit rich complaining about others when you do this sort of thing in your own backyard.

While we were walking, we passed Miry Farm and came across this odd looking piece of farm equipment. Are HBC aware of this? I cannot help thinking that this is an accident waiting to happen. The Pylons carry the electricity for most of East Accrington and Baxenden.

On our way down we came across a pleasant group of young lads who had taken their motorbikes out for a spin, and I asked them whether they had ever experienced any trouble while riding their motorcycles. I was told that they were not allowed to take their machines up Kings Highway because the farmers had complained about the noise disturbing horses. Presumably a helicopter taking off and landing, mere yards from the stables, causes them no trouble at all.

May I just add a little rider...to the editor of The Observer...Now that Vitty is leaving, I suppose you have a vacancy, could I be really cheeky and put my name forward...perhaps? I can take my own photographs.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 29-01-2006 at 14:11.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 15:46   #108
God Member

Why didn't you do a story along those lines vitty.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 19:54   #109
Full Member+

Unhappy Re: Sex headlines.

Oh my God A-B that really is appalling. It`s a few years since i`ve been over the Kings Highway and it was untouched at that time and i`ve just recently been pondering whether to take my bike over.....I won`t bother now.
Old 29-01-2006, 21:24   #110
God Member

Sad to relate, the photographs do not convey how bad or how extensive the wreckage is.
Old 30-01-2006, 11:07   #111
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Why didn't you do a story along those lines vitty.
It would have been hard to incorporate sex and sordid into the headline.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 11:24   #112
God Member

Aye...he makes a good read, does A-B. However, getting a simple basic fact wrong can undermine even the most strongly worded of cases. Hence

It was of considerable use to Colonel Richard Shuttleworth in 1614, during the Civil War, for moving troops to and fro between Manchester, Padiham and Whinney Hill for the battle there. John Wesley, who complained about its state of repair, also later used it.

I am not aware of any battle, or even of any civil war in 1614. Could someone elucidate?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 11:47   #113
God Member

1642 per chance?
Old 30-01-2006, 16:18   #114
God Member

That was deliberate mistake included to make sure everyone was paying attention. Of course, I meant 1641.
Old 30-01-2006, 17:29   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
That was deliberate mistake included to make sure everyone was paying attention. Of course, I meant 1641.
English Civil War 1642-1646/1651.

Double whammy.

Last edited by garinda; 30-01-2006 at 17:31.
Old 30-01-2006, 17:34   #116
Member.

The First English Civil War was 1640-46

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 17:43   #117
God Member

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~crossb...ory/index.html
Old 30-01-2006, 17:46   #118
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
The First English Civil War was 1640-46
Not according to Rindy's Ladybird book of British history or this and most sites about the Civil War.

http://www.historymole.com/cgi-bin/m...theme=EngCivil

Old 30-01-2006, 17:47   #119
God Member

A B, do you realise just how dangerous, especially for kids, those places you took photo's of are. Are they just open to for anybody to go on to? It's not normal to have access to a quarry, or a helipad.
Old 30-01-2006, 17:51   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
A B, do you realise just how dangerous, especially for kids, those places you took photo's of are. Are they just open to for anybody to go on to? It's not normal to have access to a quarry, or a helipad.

It is open for anybody to go there, but as A-b said the farmers have made access as difficult as possible.

I wondeer if it was any busier this weekend after all the adverse publicity with people looking for video tapes under rocks in the quarry?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..