Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 06:20   #1
God Member

Shower question

We had a Mira electric shower fitted a bit ago but due to circumstances have only just started using it. Basically as soon as the heater elements kick in the flow drops dramatically. I'd be very grateful if anyone with an electric shower could measure how much water theirs puts out at max flow rate at a decent hot temperature. Mira are coming out to look at it but I would like some ammo in case the engineer tries to fob me off.

just for info, these are the figures for mine

on max flow setting

COLD i.e. no heat 12+litres/minute( this proves that there is plenty of water pressure at the shower)
WARM (Anything from number 2 upwards) 3 litres/min

Cheers!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2006, 06:56   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Shower question

2-3 litres is not a lot. I have an Aquastream power shower which damn near blows me out of the bath both on hot and cold. Water pressure was a problem initially but I had my water tank moved and a second one installed on the top of it, it's fine now. I don't know exactly how much water per minute comes out of mine, but it's a good flow rate..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:02   #3
God Member

This isn't a power shower but yes, 2-3 isn't a lot, its like someone sprinkling your back out of a handheld watering can. Hence teh call to get them to fix it. I would just like to be able to turn round and say in a sample of 20 houses with eleccy showers the average flow is 7 litres/min. Make mine do that.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13   #4
Clearly Classy.......

Posted as wrong person again

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:15   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Posted as me this time.

I think it is an 8kw or 9kw shower, it is quite a few years old and was in the house when we moved in.
At setting 9, which is pretty damn hot it took 45.72 seconds to fill a 3 litre jug. so 1 litre took 45.72 / 3 = 15.24 secs.

Therefore 60 / 15.24 = 3.93 litres/minute
Old 06-01-2006, 11:38   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Posted as me this time.

I think it is an 8kw or 9kw shower, it is quite a few years old and was in the house when we moved in.
At setting 9, which is pretty damn hot it took 45.72 seconds to fill a 3 litre jug. so 1 litre took 45.72 / 3 = 15.24 secs.

Therefore 60 / 15.24 = 3.93 litres/minute

Did you take your clothes off to measure it?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romps
Posted as wrong person again
We are a forgiving lot not to worry.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 13:28   #8
God Member

The question is Rindy will you?

Thanks to Neil for actually helping, come on you lot!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 06-01-2006, 13:31   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi

Thanks to Neil for actually helping, come on you lot!

Just back, dripping wet.

Mine measuered a bit more than Neils.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 14:36   #10
God Member

We haven't got the best water pressure so when I bought ours I bought the highest wattage available which was a Heatre sadia 9kw (might be available higher now)
On the coldest setting I measured approx 8¾ litres/min and set to a hot but usable temp it measured approx 6¼ litres/min
Hope this helps

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 15:13   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Shhhh don't say that Ian. The last thing we want is Rindy getting undressed in the Stag to measure it.
Old 06-01-2006, 19:53   #12
God Member

Is there a power level aswell as a flow rate on it, if the power level makes no difference then its the second element not working. also did you make sure you flushed the pipework out before you fitted the shower?
If its faulty the engineer wont fob you off, he'll just repair it, the problem is if you've done the damage or there is no fault, which i understand is why your here asking us and that means your not 100% certain its faulty. If your water pressure is ok, and you cant get a decent flow of water at a warm temperature I'd say its faulty, you can see from above, most get too hot and still have a good flow. The only ones that struggle are the 7KW ones. You can get 13kw and higher now. Mines 8.5kw. Showers work by heating the water in a mini hot water cylinder, to do that they have to slow the water down, the hotter you put it the slower it will get, most have two power levels, the first kicks in when the shower is switched on, the second when you turn it on, the first will only be luke warm in this weather even on hot
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:01   #13
God Member

just under 4 litres on an old 8.5kw triton
Old 06-01-2006, 20:21   #14
Resident Waffler

We had a shower once where the water pressure dropped as the temperature went up and it was due to the fact that the water pressure dropping was the method for increasing the temperature. More water going through and same amount of heat heating it meant it didn't get as hot as not so much water did. If you see what I mean. It was a crummy shower. It was also a Mira.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:24   #15
God Member

Thats how electric showers heat the water mr wisp, if its crumby its cos its low powered

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..