Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: As a result of ths latest incident should Britcliffe resign?
Yes ? 21 53.85%
No ? 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2008, 15:44   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: "Silly Cow" Poll

[QUOTE=garinda;534210]Is there no other evidence?

Has Katex a soiled navy dress, stored away in her wardrobe?

'I did not have sexual relations with that...silly cow.'

It's all too hilarious.

QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you mean here Garinda.

Yes, is all getting rather hilarious .. don't think a resigning matter at all, and think Cllr McCormack would have been better to have just replied: "I will just ignore the remark of Cllr Britcliffe calling me a silly cow and get on with the discussion to hand" or summat. Pointing it out at the time would have had far more impact on him, not to try it again. There again is difficult to think on your feet sometimes.

Think he should have owned up though, then we wouldn't be wasting our time discussing all this ... quite enjoyed it though ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2008, 15:49   #17
Loz

Don't think he should resign because of that comment,he should resign because he is a bleep!
Old 21-02-2008, 16:17   #18
God Member

I voted no.

The comment was innappropriate but then a lot of comments made by politicians are innapropriate and petty.

As for the lying, it's hardly even a shock and all politicians do it, and we'd have none left if all the liars stepped down.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:27   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

what i find difficult to grasp, some people think standards are slipping? utter Tripe, politicians n the councillors etc, have ALWAYS lied, in all the years ive known (which is a fair few) surely no-ones that naive n gullible to think they have only just started.
Old 21-02-2008, 16:34   #20
God Member

i voted yes but would have done regardless of his silly cow comment anyway
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:48   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Not quite sure what you mean here Garinda.
Sorry. Just a veiled comparison to that other noted political fibber, Bill Clinton.

Anyway, you're much more glamourous than dowdy old Monica Lewinsky.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:53   #22
Resting in Peace

I think its irrelevant, as I have heard today that the standards board have kicked it out, so no case to answer. you have to remember this is about the sixth time the Jones Boy has reported Britcliffe to the standards board and its the sixth time they've kick it out, that should tell you something about this man. I wonder If cllr Jones is now going to appologies to one of his own lady councillors for showing her up last week, when she ran out of a meeting in tears. I notice he hasn't mentioned that on here
Old 21-02-2008, 16:58   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sorry. Just a veiled comparison to that other noted political fibber, Bill Clinton.

Anyway, you're much more glamourous than dowdy old Monica Lewinsky.
Oh sorry for being so dim .. course. Anyway, will forgive you as you made up with the flattery ...

Thought you might have been accusing me of having some sort of sexual relations with our esteemed leader.. even I am not that desperate...
Old 21-02-2008, 17:21   #24
God Member

I really don't think its an issue of resignation. Investigating it would have been a waste of tax payers money too.
Old 21-02-2008, 17:36   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Investigating it would have been a waste of tax payers money too.
Although I feel Cllr McCormack was being a little over sensitive, can't say was a waste Cyfr. We all have the right to complain and good that there is a system in place to do so.
Old 21-02-2008, 17:48   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Although I feel Cllr McCormack was being a little over sensitive, can't say was a waste Cyfr. We all have the right to complain and good that there is a system in place to do so.
This is true, but for something so petty (not that I condone what was said) I don't feel its appropriate, I think it's right it was thrown out.
Old 21-02-2008, 18:42   #27
God Member

I've just read the 'Observer'. Peter Britcliffe has NOT denied he referred to Councillor McCormack as a "silly Cow", he has merely said he cannot recall having said it, as this term is not in his vocabulary.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 19:14   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I've just read the 'Observer'. Peter Britcliffe has NOT denied he referred to Councillor McCormack as a "silly Cow", he has merely said he cannot recall having said it, as this term is not in his vocabulary.
then thats not just 1 lie,but 2, as those who heard it will testify.
Old 21-02-2008, 20:41   #29
Resident Waffler

He's just making himself look like the silly one.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 16:36   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think its irrelevant, as I have heard today that the standards board have kicked it out, so no case to answer. you have to remember this is about the sixth time the Jones Boy has reported Britcliffe to the standards board and its the sixth time they've kick it out, that should tell you something about this man. I wonder If cllr Jones is now going to appologies to one of his own lady councillors for showing her up last week, when she ran out of a meeting in tears. I notice he hasn't mentioned that on here
This is nonsense. I reported him once only. He insisted at every public meeting that the bus station was staying on Peel Street. The bus operators then (and still do) refuse to speak to that man. He had/has a shop on Infant Street. He should have declared it and left the room.

The Standards Board Agreed and gave Britcliffe a severe warning. However the constitution of Hyndburn had been watered down and the advice from the SB to me was this could proceed no furthur as Mr Britcliffe had not broken one of his own rules.

Mr Britcliffe then ran to the papers and proclaimed he had been found innocent. That's not what the SBE had said and the report is still in my office. So I would be careful what you say JAYSAY. The truth has always hurt you and will continue to do so so long as you pander to petty party politics and personal political friendships rather than speak as an honest resident.

AND CONTRARY to your jump in with two feet views. We do not discuss, organise, have a group decision on personal matters like this. Cllr McCormack (ring her to check if you doubt) made her own decision and no-one else got involved. So to suggest it was the Labour Party as a Group decision is a made up lie and one phone call would have cleared your mind on that.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..