Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DtheP47

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 18:01   #1
Resting in Peace

Silly season

I see the silly season is upon use, over the last two days I've had around 8 phone calls from our Asian friends telling me that I have a computer virus or that I'm due a rebate on the PPI on a loan I took out in 2005, I got one yesterday while Cashy was here, I just put the phone down and let him talk to himself, not to be defeated he rang again today I remember because he was called Raymond I was in quite a good mood so I decide to have a bit of fun took him all round the swings and roundabouts until I just couldn't hold my laughter in anymore, I just said do you think I came up with the last banana boat. Then this afternoon I got the PPI call I asked him when I'd taken out this loan, 2005 he replied how much am I due, £900 he replied, good you have my permission to claim it back, when you get it just pop the cheque in the post, you obviously know my address, as you've got my telephone number. He carried on trying to tell me he needed my bank details to claim back the money, when I finally told him I'd never had a loan in my life, the line went dead I wonder why
Old 01-10-2013, 19:14   #2
I am Banned

Re: Silly season

A man targeted by marketing companies is making money from cold calls with his own premium-rate phone number.

In November 2011 Lee Beaumont paid £10 plus VAT to set up his personal 0871 line - so to call him now costs 10p, from which he receives 7p.

"The Leeds businessman told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme that the premium line had so far made £300.

Phone Pay Plus, which regulates premium numbers, said it strongly discouraged people from adopting the idea."

See BBC News - How one man turns annoying cold calls into cash for full story.

He is not the first to think of the idea some peeps use 0844 numbers for this purpose
Less likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:33   #3
Junior Member+

Unfortunately a older friend fell for one of these and only having just got the laptop paid £79 for someone to "check" her system she then must have been put on the mugs list as she started getting endless scam calls. She is normally pretty savvy but the bloke (Asian) was convincing so people still fall for their patter.
essexshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:28   #4
Resting in Peace

I've had another 5 calls today, I took the pee out of a chap trying to say I was owed £1300 in PPI on a loan I took out in 2005 and settled it by 2007, I sounded very interested in this asking dates and amounts etc but ten I got bored and told him where to go
Old 02-10-2013, 17:41   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've had another 5 calls today, I took the pee out of a chap trying to say I was owed £1300 in PPI on a loan I took out in 2005 and settled it by 2007, I sounded very interested in this asking dates and amounts etc but ten I got bored and told him where to go
Something, somewhere, somehow, you must be doing wrong.

I wonder, how have they got your number?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..