Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2013, 22:12   #16

Re: Smoking in school

I would have thought a school classed as a public building and that no smoking would be allowed anywhere within the grounds. At Hyndburn Borough Council smoking was banned altogether several years ago. You can't even smoke in your own car on a Council car park. Staff who previously could go to a nice cosy smoking room in works time suddenly found themselves having to clock out, put on their outdoor coat and go and sit on a bench at the bottom of Ormerod Street. How will these kids cope with the discipline of a workplace where smoking isn't allowed if they have been allowed to light up at certain times in a designated area of the playground? Also, whatever happened to promoting a healthy lifestyle?
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-10-2013, 22:15   #17

The thing I can never get my head round, never having been a smoker, is seeing patients in wheelchairs, wearing their pyjamas or nighties and dressing gowns, still attached to their drip, sitting in the freezing cold outside the front door of all our hospitals, having a fag! The mind boggles!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 22:41   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
The thing I can never get my head round, never having been a smoker, is seeing patients in wheelchairs, wearing their pyjamas or nighties and dressing gowns, still attached to their drip, sitting in the freezing cold outside the front door of all our hospitals, having a fag! The mind boggles!
Save the boggling for things cofusing and difficult to comprehend ... this is a no brainer; smoking is an addiction When I started, it was more-or-less expected that one would smoke. You could smoke in restaurants, buses, trains, planes, movie theatres, even hospitals for chrissake. And now, as Edmund observed: "The wheel has come full circle." Problem I have with the anti-smoking campaigns and laws, are that they seem to have moralistic overtones (undertones too). It's as if smokers are not sufferers from an addiction, but, somehow they are immoral, sinful, not as "good" as non smokers. This, of course, is an immense crock of horse manure. I find the obviously punitive measures taken against smokers distasteful. However, I do feel that point of anti-smoking measures should be to prevent people from starting.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 23:04   #19
Senior Member+

Interesting comment Eric, I look at the smoking ban as protection for the non-smokers. Guess it depends on which end of the fag you're at.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 23:21   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Interesting comment Eric, I look at the smoking ban as protection for the non-smokers. Guess it depends on which end of the fag you're at.
I don't think one can deny the zealotory and smug moralizing of the anti-smoking campaign ... it's as plain as the fact that smoking is a powerful addiction, which should, through education and good-parenting (I know ... this is a tricky one) and reasonable restrictions on smokers, be limited to an ever decreasing addicted minority.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 07:34   #21
Senior Member+

Smoking in school is probably ok if you can prove your doing on the strict instructions of your religious leader........
Sunflower49 likes this.
Old 22-10-2013, 09:50   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I would have thought a school classed as a public building and that no smoking would be allowed anywhere within the grounds.
The law is about smoking in buildings so you are ok outside. No idea why HBC decided to take the Nazi hard line and not allow smoking on the premises at all. Most companies provide a smoking shelter outside.

How does the HBC rule apply to staff working outside like cleansing and parks staff?
Old 22-10-2013, 13:13   #23

Quote:
I would have thought a school classed as a public building and that no smoking would be allowed anywhere within the grounds. At Hyndburn Borough Council smoking was banned altogether several years ago. You can't even smoke in your own car on a Council car park. Staff who previously could go to a nice cosy smoking room in works time suddenly found themselves having to clock out, put on their outdoor coat and go and sit on a bench at the bottom of Ormerod Street. How will these kids cope with the discipline of a workplace where smoking isn't allowed if they have been allowed to light up at certain times in a designated area of the playground? Also, whatever happened to promoting a healthy lifestyle?
The smoking in your own car thing is a bit harsh, I think-unless It's a company car of course. Where do legalities lie on that, or is it just a case of it being written in the work rules and if you don't comply you're up for disciplinary?

I don't know what it will be like in the future but most workplaces still allow employees to take breaks and allocate somewhere outside of the building where it is acceptable to smoke
Not doing it inside a building is obviously a legal thing now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Save the boggling for things cofusing and difficult to comprehend ... this is a no brainer; smoking is an addiction When I started, it was more-or-less expected that one would smoke. You could smoke in restaurants, buses, trains, planes, movie theatres, even hospitals for chrissake. And now, as Edmund observed: "The wheel has come full circle." Problem I have with the anti-smoking campaigns and laws, are that they seem to have moralistic overtones (undertones too). It's as if smokers are not sufferers from an addiction, but, somehow they are immoral, sinful, not as "good" as non smokers. This, of course, is an immense crock of horse manure. I find the obviously punitive measures taken against smokers distasteful. However, I do feel that point of anti-smoking measures should be to prevent people from starting.
It is an addiction and although I don't smoke and when I did I only ever did it as a social activity , I imagine if one is a smoker and is stuck in hospital which is usually a stressful, frustrating and boring situation (at best!) The desire to smoke would increase, not decrease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't think one can deny the zealotory and smug moralizing of the anti-smoking campaign ... it's as plain as the fact that smoking is a powerful addiction, which should, through education and good-parenting (I know ... this is a tricky one) and reasonable restrictions on smokers, be limited to an ever decreasing addicted minority.
I agree. Who was it who famously said they quit heroin and nicotine, and nicotine was the harder of the two!?

It is usually a very difficult thing to give up. On top of the addiction you have the fact that It's habitual, association is there for after eating, on waking, during conversation etc, and products containing nicotine remain widely available and easy to access. There is a stigma now, and the smugness of the anti-smoking campaign isn't helpful.

But if one is trying to give up an illegal drug that is more stigmatised and not as easy to find, it has to be easier?

My Grandmother continues to smoke (although not very often) even though she's had lung cancer.

She said on returning from hospital she didn't want a cigarette, wasn't craving nicotine at all and made a good recovery, but something was missing and she became very depressed for the first time in her life.

I can't pretend I fully understand that, but I do find it interesting in a way. If it wasn't lack of nicotine that made her reach for the cigarettes again, what was it..?

I agree with Eric, if you smoke, many people see you as a dirty, unintelligent, immoral human being. I don't think it means any of that, just a person who has succumbed somewhat to a powerful addiction-very easy done.
Old 22-10-2013, 13:32   #24

If you can prove your Prophet smoked can your parents appeal or could the School be sued in you singe your beard
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:41   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Smoking in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The law is about smoking in buildings so you are ok outside. No idea why HBC decided to take the Nazi hard line and not allow smoking on the premises at all. Most companies provide a smoking shelter outside.

How does the HBC rule apply to staff working outside like cleansing and parks staff?
I seem to remember not too many years ago, there was a hospital that banned staff from smoking on its grounds, the nearest place was a dark remote bus shelter, a nurse was raped and murdered after going there for her fag break.
Does any smoker deserve to be put to such a risk by a caring employer?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:49   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I seem to remember not too many years ago, there was a hospital that banned staff from smoking on its grounds...
That`s the rules now at Royal B`Burn, they have to go down to the footpath along Haslingden Road to smoke. Seems strange that paients are allowed to smoke on hospital grounds but not staff.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:53   #27
God Member

west yorkshire police forbid staff from smoking in their cars if the car is on teh carpark.They have to drive out onto the road and park up if they dont want to get wet in the rain while having a ciggy.

you would think been sat in your car made it your buisness but apparantly companies are allowed to dictate what you do in your car.I could understand it if peopel were dogging at break times but having a ciggy in your own car isnt hurting anyone

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:01   #28
Senior Member+

I for one think if you want to smoke in your own car and in your own time then you should be allowed to do so.
Company vehicles are part of the no smoking ban, not just company rules.
What I find annoying is when smokers expect extra breaks.
Old 22-10-2013, 14:02   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
I could understand it if peopel were dogging at break times but having a ciggy in your own car isnt hurting anyone
Well neither is dogging and I haven't seen any signs banning it either.
So it must be OK???
Less likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:06   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Well neither is dogging and I haven't seen any signs banning it either.
OK so long as it`s on a leash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (15.7 KB, 6 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..