Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2013, 13:18   #1
Full Member+

Smoking in school

Read in the paper this morning that kids in a school in Leeds have had their cigarettes taken from them only to have them given back at lunchtime and break times so they can smoke them in a special area in the playground !!! What is the world coming to ? Smoking under 16yrs of age is the law of the land not a school rule. I think the school in question needs a head teacher like Mabel Horne,late of Accrington High School. I can imagine what she would have thought of it all.
Judith Addison likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2013, 13:36   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Smoking in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
...Smoking under 16yrs of age is the law of the land not a school rule....
I don`t think that`s quite true Rowlf, although it should be.
Illegal to sell tobacco to under eighteens, but not a criminal offence for under 16`s to smoke (in private).

Citizens Advice - At what age can I legally drink alcohol and smoke?

Children and Young Persons Act 1933
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 14:48   #3
Full Member+

Well in my book giving the cigarettes back to the children is ever bit as bad as buying them for them. A school playground can hardly be classed as 'private' either.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 15:08   #4
Senior Member+

Like I said, it should be.
maxthecollie likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 15:24   #5
God Member

Quote:
Read in the paper this morning that kids in a school in Leeds have had their cigarettes taken from them only to have them given back at lunchtime and break times so they can smoke them in a special area in the playground !!! What is the world coming to ? Smoking under 16yrs of age is the law of the land not a school rule. I think the school in question needs a head teacher like Mabel Horne,late of Accrington High School. I can imagine what she would have thought of it all.
Shocking ... kids should be forced to smoke in the bogs as we were.
flashy likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 17:53   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well in my book giving the cigarettes back to the children is ever bit as bad as buying them for them. A school playground can hardly be classed as 'private' either.
Teachers have to be careful these days, just what they can and can't do, remember the European Human Rights Act When I was at school if a teacher had found fags on you they would have been confiscated, full stop, but they can't do that today, sadly
Old 18-10-2013, 18:47   #7

Illegal to sell cigarettes to an under 18 year old, not illegal for an under 16 to smoke.

Not surprised at this really. When I was at college there was a smoking room in the rivalling college (one reason I didn't choose it)!albeit this was ages 16 and up.

I suppose the only redeeming part of this is that teenagers love to rebel, and a lot of them I am guessing only smoke because of this. It could make it not as attractive to them, although this isn't the reasoning behind it.
Old 18-10-2013, 18:48   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Teachers have to be careful these days, just what they can and can't do, remember the European Human Rights Act When I was at school if a teacher had found fags on you they would have been confiscated, full stop, but they can't do that today, sadly
But back in the day, all the teachers smoked ... and the pay wasn't all that hot; so, three crumpled 'bines was a welcome addition to their tobacco stash I can see them in the staff room, passing around a Woodbine until someone called for a pin to get the last two drags out of it

But I do agree with your point that when Human Rights Acts trump common sense and doing what is right, they become, well, silly ... silly, trivial, and bloody annoying.

We all know, in a general sense, what "common sense" is; we all know wrong from right ... though we may argue about details. Well, maybe not all of us ... there's a bunch of folks in Westminster, Ottawa, and, most def., Washington D.C. and Brussels (?), etc. .......................
Old 18-10-2013, 19:36   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Shocking ... kids should be forced to smoke in the bogs as we were.
Luxury ..... sheer luxury, indoors in the bogs? We had to make do with a scabby, cold, old bike shed!
Old 19-10-2013, 00:21   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Luxury ..... sheer luxury, indoors in the bogs? We had to make do with a scabby, cold, old bike shed!
Mmm ... guess you never smelled the bog at Accy Grammar ... smelled worse than an anchovie's asshole ... not quite as bad as the bog by the bus stop at the Forts, but gettin' there ... I've smelled better bogs in France for chrissake
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 19-10-2013, 00:40   #11
God Member

that's funny how can Scotland ban smoking in public places I think saying it is do with the European human rights act is rubbish . misinformed is the word
Old 19-10-2013, 01:31   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
that's funny how can Scotland ban smoking in public places I think saying it is do with the European human rights act is rubbish . misinformed is the word
I'm assuming this is a quote from "Finnegans Wake"
Old 19-10-2013, 09:43   #13
God Member

i remember in biology the teacher pulled ouot a machine that you placed a lit ciggy in and it would draw the ciggy as if it was been smoked.We were then shown what was left behind on a scrap of cloth which was all the tar and bad stuff and told that was what you were taking into your lungs

the ciggys used were ones confiscated from kids

as far as i know the remainder of the pack was not given back to the kid in question

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 14:17   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

as far as i know the remainder of the pack was not given back to the kid in question
Of course not, the teacher smoked them.
Eric likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 11:37   #15

Smoking was really strictly condemned at the school I went to-and from my parent's rule, I wasn't even allowed to associate with any pupils or other friends who smoked, but there was never any teachings about it.

Just smoking=bad-that was that!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..