Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 13:51   #31
God Member

Re: Somme

Yeah...I suppose they could have used the colours of the East Lancs regiment (Red & Maroon, as in Accy Corporation Buses) but that may have upset all those who served in other regiments, corps, etc.

Back to the film footage...any theories on exactly where that may have been shot? I thought somewhere on the road between Intack & West End...but then there are an awful lot of onlookers (which would suggest that the pavements from West End into Accy, through Church would have been packed)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2006, 14:37   #32
Super Moderator

Hmmm...hard to tell, really. I'd say West End.
Old 05-07-2006, 14:48   #33
God Member

Well, its a hedge in the background with four or five people around the post (all men)...I think there is a youngster who makes an appearance in the last few frames. There are only two possibilities..between Intack & West End and between West End and Church (by the canal bank). Trouble is, we don't know who the photographer is or if there was any accompaning notes.
Old 05-07-2006, 15:10   #34
Super Moderator

I reckon it's where that used car place is (or was) near Blythes...but that's a total guess!
Old 05-07-2006, 15:28   #35
God Member

Something else,. I make the clip lasting just under a minute in which we see about 200 men, roughly company strength, togeather with band, (which is not at the front of the column) Maybe there is a fuller version in the archive which covers the entire battion or maybe what we are seeing is the Accrington Company or possibly the District Company, with the Burnley and the Chorley pals having gone their own way.
Old 05-07-2006, 15:47   #36
Super Moderator

Would've thought that the Chorley and Blackburn divisions had gone their own way and that what we see is a section of the Accrington and Burnley divisions on their way to their respective home towns to embark on the recruiting drive which is mentioned...but again just guesswork. It'd be great to find out more background info about this fascinating snippet of film.
Old 05-07-2006, 15:55   #37
God Member

Well, 1st August was a sunday & if you follow the link from the film to the still photographs you get a couple of shots of the town centre. I don't think the deck was as crowded in your day!

It looks like it was the entire battalion and what we see in the film exert is exactly that...just some of the battalion that came past. I would guess that the people watching from the road at West End would be doing so because it was one of the better places to get a view.
Old 05-07-2006, 20:22   #38
Super Moderator

I've watched it a few more times and I've changed my mind about the location. I reckon it's somewhere between the Old Mother Redcap and the farmhouse at West End.
Old 06-07-2006, 15:13   #39
God Member

Yeah...I agree. The post that you see in the background has got to be for the trams. It also seems to be on a slight incline, so I suspect it is this specific stretch of road:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jJH0114Tram.WestEnd.jpg (23.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-07-2006, 16:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I don't know how many people on here visit Andrew Jackson's brilliant website on the Pals. It is regularly updated and the last update was the end of June. This is probably the best yet, with footage of the Pals marching, back in Accy in 1915.
Many thanks, Tealeaf. It's rewarding to know that the site continues to be appreciated. The clip that you see on the site is just the first minute of a film that lasts for around 3 minutes in total. I hope to add the remainder later in the year. In the meantime, I think that the complete film might form part of the exhibition that's on at the Haworth over the summer. Maybe someone could confirm that.

Andrew
Andrew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 20:54   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
My late grandfather never knew his dad because while at the age of just one year old his father (P Dempsey) died on day one for the battle of the somme at the age of 23 alongside many of his Accrington pals.

+ Patrick ******

God bless.
Patrick ********. Transferred to the Machine Gun Corps with my uncle in June 1915. Patrick was killed in action on December 27th 1917. He used to work at Howard and Bulloughs. his name is on Sacred Heart Memorial and Accrington War Memorial.

Last edited by Len; 24-09-2006 at 12:44. Reason: Security
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 21:01   #42
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw
Patrick ********. Transferred to the Machine Gun Corps with my uncle in June 1915. Patrick was killed in action on December 27th 1917. He used to work at Howard and Bulloughs. his name is on Sacred Heart Memorial and Accrington War Memorial.
Thanks for that. I shall pass the info on to other family members as that has just shattered other previously told believes.
Cheers

Last edited by Len; 24-09-2006 at 12:45. Reason: Security
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 21:06   #43
I am Banned

That piece of film was taken coming up the hill from the Old Mother Redcap. The men are from Accrington & Burnley Coy's, the Chorley lads were enjoying some home leave. The Accrington lads were given leave, whilst the Burnley lads carried on to Burnley. I recognised some of the Accrington lads when I saw the film at the Town Hall.
Old 09-07-2006, 16:37   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
My grandparents lost their eldest son on the Somme - he wasn't killed outright, but died of wounds a couple of months later. And no, I'm not that old, just a rather strung-out family. I can't remember the name of the website, but if anyone does a Google search on "Accrington Pals", it should be easy enough to find.

It's hard to comprehend the suffering, not just of the men, but of those left behind. One woman in Lion Street, Church, lost her husband and her three sons. It doesn't bear thinking about. My Sunday paper had a picture in one of the supplements of cheerful young men, heading off to unspeakable carnage, smiling and giving a thumbs up to the camera. It made me weep.
Who was she.? The only woman I can find in Lion St was a Mrs Alston who had four sons and a nephew in the army, only one was killed.,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..