Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 16:09   #1
Member.

Somme

Somme. 01 July 2006

90 years on from one of the most disastrous periods in our history and possibly the last time any living member of the community affected will be able to stand shoulder to should with the generations that followed in there wake.

BBC Radio Lancashire made it sound that Hyndburn had emptied into the streets to watch the civic parade pass from the Town Hall to St James’s Church Street gardens, alas at the church no more than a few hundred people stood in the Sun to hear the service delivered by the Rector of Accrington followed by Bible readings by the worshipful the Mayor, Dr Rahman and Cllr Peter Britcliffe.

The whole thing was warm and cordial with little detraction beyond the distant murmur of traffic and the odd mobile phone going off in the back crowd.

If one can enjoy such an affair then for me it was very enjoyable. I felt a wave of gratitude for the privilege to have been there both to those who laid down their lives “my family amongst them” and to those who came together to make this Service of Commemoration happen. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Somme.JPG (153.7 KB, 14 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2006, 16:42   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Somme

It is sad to think that boys went out to war....feeling that they were embarking on a great adventure....for them never to return. While I couldn't be at the service, my thoughts were on those brave boys from our town....they fought for the freedoms that we enjoy today. We must remember them with pride.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 18:26   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm glad Accrington had a memorial service. It's good to know that though those men are long gone they are not forgotten.

I had an uncle, by marriage, who, with his brother Leopold, fought on the Somme with the Essex Regiment. He lived to be over 90 and we didn't find out he had fought there until his funeral service; he had never talked about it. It must have been doubly hard for them as their father was German and was interned in the Isle of Man throughout the war, even though he had lived in England since 1890 and married an English woman.

They called it the war to end all wars. So much sacrifice by so many men and the world still hasn't learned. It makes it all the more poignant.
Old 01-07-2006, 20:29   #4
God Member

I haven't been able to listen to the recording we've made of the play without crying yet. Even though we had rehearsals and knew what we were reading it is incredibly moving. I'm not claiming to be a great actress but I had to try and get under the skin of a young woman who's great love was leaving and who never returned. We should always remember how lucky we are in our present lives to not have to go through something so awful.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 20:49   #5
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I haven't been able to listen to the recording we've made of the play without crying yet. Even though we had rehearsals and knew what we were reading it is incredibly moving. I'm not claiming to be a great actress but I had to try and get under the skin of a young woman who's great love was leaving and who never returned. We should always remember how lucky we are in our present lives to not have to go through something so awful.
I’ve heard snippets on the radio and I sense from that minute or so that the whole thing will have a powerful and dramatic impact on those who listen.

What I would like to see come from this is an awakening in people and a move toward embracing our history without apologising for it. I like to see matters like these become part of educational syllabus and our children taught too remember those who serve with respect.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-07-2006, 20:53   #6
God Member

I put in a funding bid to the Heritage Lottery to fund an educational programme and pack but it got refused. I think they felt it was too localised and so not 'big' enough a project to fund. Shame, I agree with you Doug that it is only by teaching the reality of war that we can hope to avoid it in the future.

Old 01-07-2006, 21:18   #7
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I put in a funding bid to the Heritage Lottery to fund an educational programme and pack but it got refused. I think they felt it was too localised and so not 'big' enough a project to fund. Shame, I agree with you Doug that it is only by teaching the reality of war that we can hope to avoid it in the future.
Write to them again and tell them to get a grip. It’s not just about the Accrington lads that died on the 1st. It’s a National tragedy that echoes throughout our lives. It was also a Multi National and Multi Cultural tragedy as many Nations fought with or along side our troops in the Great War.

Yes Accrington will always hold a special “Localised Relationship” with the Somme, but what they are missing is that this is about Community. By funding an educational programmeabout the AccringtonPals they would also be creating a template that would serve all those towns and villages whose people’s lives changed because of what was a world conflict. Community education is fundamental to going forward in this country and Communities are by there very nature are localised.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-07-2006, 21:21   #8
God Member

Perhaps I didn't get that all across in the bid.

Old 01-07-2006, 21:24   #9
Member.

Do you know the Story of the Bruce and the Spider?

Valiance, Spirit and Perseverance – Try and try again

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 01-07-2006 at 21:27.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:35   #10
Resting in Peace

Well i went to this to take some pics but i thought the turnout was very poor so sorry only took these 4 pics even the army was not there.
There was buses waiting at the end of the prosession if you can call it that it was really a disapointment well i thought so anyway i thought all the services would turn out to pay there respects to these men who gave there lives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (87.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (87.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (94.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (94.2 KB, 26 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:11   #11
Senior Member+

Freedom of Borough Speech

As promised....

Mr Mayor I would like to second the motion and contribute a few thoughts of my own if I may.

Mr Mayor, Alderman, Councillors, Distinguished Guests

Today is a very important day. It is day when we remember together our history and recognise the ultimate sacrifice given by our relatives and our community.

To particularly remember the sacrifices of The Accrington Pals and the magnitude of that terrible day the 1st day in July 19 hundred and 16 where between Arras and Albert, 20,000 of our fellow citizens were killed in just one day, with 40,000 left maimed wounded and scarred by the horrors of war.

We are gathered here today to remember Accrington’s historic contribution particularly on that day on the Somme, but not forgetting those in the regimnentwho lost their lives subsequently and those in the regiment who suffered the brutality of the war at the Battle of Arras, La Becque, Ayette, Lys; and that we also remember those who suffered in all wars.

The 11th (Service) Battalion (Accrington) East Lancashire Regiment, better known as the Accrington Pals. A volunteer army of friends who enlisted together, fought together and ultimately died together.

It is often said how with passing of time the memory fades, as generation passes through to generation. So it is with great honour we are here today to never forget.

In remembering our past, it is important to future generations that we not only leave visual reminders but that we also remember the horrific nature. With the distance of time we must not sanitise history and in doing so loosen the ties to our heritage.

For younger generations through the cinematic experience of the first 30 minutes of Enemy at the Gates, Saving Private Ryan, we can connect in some way with the harrowing circumstances endured on the Somme.

In was in that very same 30 minutes that out of some 720 Accrington Pals who took part in the attack on the 1st July 1916, 585 men became casualties, 235 killed and 350 wounded.

That week had begun with a long bombardment of German defences which were heavily fortified, made worse by many of the British shells failing to explode. When the bombardment began, the Germans simply moved underground and waited.

At 7.20am, Captain Tough led the first of the battalion’s four waves.

As the 11 British divisions walked towards the German lines, the machine guns started and the slaughter of the people of Accrington began.

Brigadier-General H. C. Rees, GOC of 94th Brigade wrote in his diaries;

“The result of the shells, shrapnel, machine-gun and rifle fire was such that hardly any of our men reached the German front trench. The lines which advanced in such admirable order, melted away under fire; yet not a man wavered, broke the ranks or attempted to go back. I have never seen, indeed could never have imagined such a magnificent display of gallantry, discipline and determination.”

A Accrington’s Pals battalion signaller, observing from the rear, reported the horrors of what he saw:
“We were able to see our comrades move forward in an attempt to cross No Man’s Land, only to be mown down like meadow grass. I felt sick at the sight of the carnage and remember weeping.”

The losses were hard to bear in our community as with many others. Where nearly everyone had a relative or friend who had been killed or wounded. It is still something my Grandmother talks about today and her story is of the Ambulance Corps moving across the battlefield amongst the cries of the mortally wounded, those of our community who had made the biggest sacrifice of all to this borough, and this country in heinous circumstances, their life. And also my distant Aunt, Alderman Tom, her personal experiences and the losses suffered by her family. Her father was gassed at Ypres. My great Uncle Walter taken prisoner.

Let us never forget what was given by our fellow Accringtonian’s in this war and all wars. And never let us never forget the silent victims; the relatives and families whose scars carried on long beyond the battlefield.

I commend the motion laid out before this Council giving Freedom of the Borough to East Lancs Regiment,

Thank you Mr Mayor.

Last edited by g jones; 02-07-2006 at 09:21.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:17   #12
God Member

An excellent speech Graham, perfectly hit the right tone.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:17   #13

Britcliffe - what are you on about?

I agree that yesterdays service was brilliant. It does our town proud to remember the sacrifices made for us all BUT I hear that Britcliffe went on a bit of a rant about the World Cup in his speech. How the hell do you get a link from hundreds of Accy lads killed in the war and sodding football!!!!!!! More proof if it was needed that he has LOST THE PLOT

:engsmil:
TreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 15:21   #14
Member.

Re: Britcliffe - what are you on about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeHugger
I agree that yesterdays service was brilliant. It does our town proud to remember the sacrifices made for us all BUT I hear that Britcliffe went on a bit of a rant about the World Cup in his speech. How the hell do you get a link from hundreds of Accy lads killed in the war and sodding football!!!!!!! More proof if it was needed that he has LOST THE PLOT

:engsmil:
I polite reply Treehugger,

I think he made a brief reference to people coming together and comradeship, any reference to the world cup was purely an analogy. Although I can’t commend the gentleman on the state of Hyndburn I cannot condemn the man for his contribution to the Commemoration Service which was in my view sincere, appropriate and above all relevant.

Mick I’m sorry I didn’t see you there, I would have like too. Mr Jones. Thank you.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 02-07-2006, 18:33   #15
Len
God Member

My late grandfather never knew his dad because while at the age of just one year old his father (P Dempsey) died on day one for the battle of the somme at the age of 23 alongside many of his Accrington pals.

+ Patrick ******

God bless.

Last edited by Len; 24-09-2006 at 12:43. Reason: Security
Len is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..