Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2010, 09:15   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: St George's Day

Well its no wonder that we don't celebrate St Georges day when, when the country has something to celebrate, like England playing in the World, people are regularly asked to remove the Union flag or St Georges Cross from vehicles, I remember taxi drivers being told to remove the flags because it may upset over nationalities
Old 21-04-2010, 09:19   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

don't really think thats out to do wi it mate, back in the day when nobody bothered about such things, was no big celebrations i remember, in fact biggest i recall was 66 when we won world cup.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:22   #78
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well its no wonder that we don't celebrate St Georges day when, when the country has something to celebrate, like England playing in the World, people are regularly asked to remove the Union flag or St Georges Cross from vehicles, I remember taxi drivers being told to remove the flags because it may upset over nationalities

My car flag and bunting are already up.

As Jaysay has already pointed out, it's not so much that we've ever made a big deal of it, more the fact that any effort to do so is suppressed by the authorities. The Manchester parade is a new one on me and I'd like to think it will be an annual event rather than a vote-winning exercise.

Three years ago I was told by the landlord of the pub where I present one of my quiz nights that I had to make an announcement before my St George's Day special. The brewery stated that the landlord must not be seen to be specific to any one country so the St George's Day Quiz had to be my responsibility in order to exempt him.

It just seems odd that 17th March was another matter entirely as far as the money-grubbing brewery and sales of Guinness were concerned.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 09:24   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't really think thats out to do wit it mate, back in the day when nobody bothered about such things, was no big celebrations i remember, in fact biggest i recall was 66 when we won world cup.
I remember a mate, a Hyndburn Taxi Drive was told to remove a flag of St George from his aerial, for just the reason I stated cashy, that was in 1998
Old 21-04-2010, 09:26   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
My car flag and bunting are already up.

As Jaysay has already pointed out, it's not so much that we've ever made a big deal of it, more the fact that any effort to do so is suppressed by the authorities. The Manchester parade is a new one on me and I'd like to think it will be an annual event rather than a vote-winning exercise.

Three years ago I was told by the landlord of the pub where I present one of my quiz nights that I had to make an announcement before my St George's Day special. The brewery stated that the landlord must not be seen to be specific to any one country so the St George's Day Quiz had to be my responsibility in order to exempt him.

It just seems odd that 17th March was another matter entirely as far as the money-grubbing brewery and sales of Guinness were concerned.
The mind really does boggle Ken,
Old 21-04-2010, 09:40   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I remember a mate, a Hyndburn Taxi Drive was told to remove a flag of St George from his aerial, for just the reason I stated cashy, that was in 1998
yeh but thats after the lunatics took the asylum, i remember certain taxi drivers in accy centre honking horns n flying flags, but that was after 9/11, but thats off thread.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:28   #82
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is an annual event - been going for a few years now.

"any effort to do so is suppressed by the authorities"? So, are you expecting the cops round at your house next Friday, Ken? Think you'll find there's quite a lot of celebrations going on without let or hinderance. Obviously, there'll be a few loony left/PC stories, but doubtless our "Mailwatch" correspondent will be posting them on here, so we all know about them!
Old 21-04-2010, 12:35   #83
God Member

perhaps st georges day would be better celebrated if it was a public holiday like it is in ANOTHER COUNTRY which is Canada i think.

its hard to celebrate it and not get fired for been drunk ,its a disgrace govenment hasnt realised this and given the british people a day off on their national day.

like somone has said already saint patricks day gets celebrated more but in all fairness unless its somones birthday the majority of people couldnt care less who saint patric is as its merely a good excuse for a booze up and to run around in a silly hat

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 12:58   #84
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
"any effort to do so is suppressed by the authorities"? So, are you expecting the cops round at your house next Friday, Ken?
I was referring in point of fact to examples such as the Scottish and Newcastle brewery, a pub authority. There will probably be examples in offices too and councils haven't exactly exempted themselves, such as the taxi farrago with the little flags.

Whatever misgivings you have about the origins of St George, it is our national day and no one should be reprimanded for celebrating it with a flag or two just because someone somewhere might get offended.

I'll just set your mind at rest that I have never read the Daily Mail, or indeed any newspapers on a regular basis save the Lancashire Telegraph. I don't think the Daily Mail has the monopoly on PC stories, does it???

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 13:17   #85
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was referring in point of fact to examples such as the Scottish and Newcastle brewery, a pub authority. There will probably be examples in offices too and councils haven't exactly exempted themselves, such as the taxi farrago with the little flags.

Whatever misgivings you have about the origins of St George, it is our national day and no one should be reprimanded for celebrating it with a flag or two just because someone somewhere might get offended.

I'll just set your mind at rest that I have never read the Daily Mail, or indeed any newspapers on a regular basis save the Lancashire Telegraph. I don't think the Daily Mail has the monopoly on PC stories, does it???
Oh yes, doubtless there'll be a few stories, as I've already said, but your scenario of a nation of proud Englishmen and women cowed into silence by the oppresive hand of authority hardly rings true. Traditional apathy would be nearer the mark.

As for the Mail, I was actually referring to Jaysay who always likes to keep us in the picture on PC madness stories from that august organ!
Old 21-04-2010, 14:53   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oh yes, doubtless there'll be a few stories, as I've already said, but your scenario of a nation of proud Englishmen and women cowed into silence by the oppresive hand of authority hardly rings true. Traditional apathy would be nearer the mark.

As for the Mail, I was actually referring to Jaysay who always likes to keep us in the picture on PC madness stories from that august organ!
You mean you don't read the gospel according to jaysay Wyn
Old 21-04-2010, 15:07   #87
Super Moderator

Quote:
You mean you don't read the gospel according to jaysay Wyn
Wouldn't eat me chips in it, but each to his own...
Old 21-04-2010, 15:14   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wouldn't eat me chips in it, but each to his own...
You don't know what your missing, Richard Littlejohn Tuesday and Friday,
Old 21-04-2010, 15:21   #89
Super Moderator

Quote:
You don't know what your missing, Richard Littlejohn Tuesday and Friday,
I do know what I'm missing, as you insist on sharing large parts of it with us on Accyweb!
Old 21-04-2010, 15:24   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I do know what I'm missing, as you insist on sharing large parts of it with us on Accyweb!
Just spreading the word Wyn just spreading the word

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..