Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2010, 16:34   #91
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: St George's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'm with Mancie on this; Seems to me St Georges Day is celebrated far more widely now than it ever was in the supposedly pre-PC days. They're having a St Georges Day parade and street market in front of the town hall in Labour-run Manchester next weekend. Not much "overbearing pressure" there, then.
Good for them !! I'm glad that someone has decided to ignore the whiners & bleaters & given the British & in particular the English some form of recognition. A most welcome change & good to see that instead of the issue being sidelined, positive reinforcement of Englishness is being condoned & promoted.

Unfortunately that positive attitude of "Being English" is being displayed in a "Province" & not the Capital City of our Country !! Why ??
Having looked there will be something going on in London after all - St Georges Day at Trafalgar Square - St Georges Day London Events, Trafalgar Square St Georges Day Concert But there is no great fanfare & tadah being exhibited in its promotion

While "the Notting hill Festival" (West Indian/Caribbean) is massively endorsed, "Australia Day" Strewth mate ! Everyone knows about that & even LGBT (Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual &Trans-gender) "Pride" is given reams of coverage. Surely the Nations Patron Saint deserves a little more recognition ? That little known Government publication http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-u...nd-diversity1/ I think requires some more reading in certain quarters by certain People !!

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 21-04-2010 at 16:40.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2010, 18:12   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
perhaps st georges day would be better celebrated if it was a public holiday like it is in ANOTHER COUNTRY which is Canada i think.

its hard to celebrate it and not get fired for been drunk ,its a disgrace govenment hasnt realised this and given the british people a day off on their national day.

like somone has said already saint patricks day gets celebrated more but in all fairness unless its somones birthday the majority of people couldnt care less who saint patric is as its merely a good excuse for a booze up and to run around in a silly hat
Not in Canada ... only in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador, which, by the way, also has a holiday on July 1 - Memorial Day - in memory of the men of the Newfoundland Regiment who fell on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. (Newfoundland, tho', was still part of the Empayah until 1949.) We do, however, have a national holiday on or around May 24 when Canadians drink lots of good strong Canadian beer to celebrate Victoria Day ... and on July 1, Canada Day ... even more drinking, and thanking our lucky stars that we live here and not somewhere else on this screwed up planet.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 21:16   #93
God Member

so only part of canada gets a day off work for saint george then.Still a pretty poor do that england dosnt yet part of another country does

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 22:27   #94
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Everyone knows about that & even LGBT (Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual &Trans-gender) "Pride" is given reams of coverage.
'Reams' is actually one annual photograph, with an accompanying sentence, in a few of the heavier weight Sunday papers.

I'm proud of what we are, and what we have in this country.

I honestly don't feel the need to be all jingoistic about it, on one particular day on the year, inspired by a Catholic holy day.

As an atheist, I thank God every day of the year, that I was born English.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 09:37   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Reams' is actually one annual photograph, with an accompanying sentence, in a few of the heavier weight Sunday papers.

I honestly don't feel the need to be all jingoistic about it, on one particular day on the year, inspired by a Catholic holy day.

You daft sod
Old 22-04-2010, 14:07   #96

Quote:

You should be thanking God that you were born a Lancastrian first
Old 22-04-2010, 14:13   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acertun View Post
You should be thanking God that you were born a Lancastrian first
Post 65, in this very thread...

Quote:
I'm a 'regionalist', being proud of being a northerner.

I don't consider anywhere other than this county as being truly northern.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 11:54   #98
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
As Jaysay has already pointed out, it's not so much that we've ever made a big deal of it, more the fact that any effort to do so is suppressed by the authorities.
Young Ken's very scarce today. I wonder if the much-discussed PC brigade have been round to "suppress" him?
Old 23-04-2010, 12:01   #99

just enjoy the day and make he most of it
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 12:44   #100
God Member

Quote:

To paraphrase Kipling/Cecil Rhodes:

"To be born English is to draw the winning ticket in the lottery of life. To be born a Lancastrian is to win the Double Rollover."

Shame Garinda is from Ossy.....he's just lost his ticket
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 14:47   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Young Ken's very scarce today. I wonder if the much-discussed PC brigade have been round to "suppress" him?
I'm getting a bit worried myself Wyn, I only put sugar in his brew when he called yesterday, I haven't done nout, I'm not guilty, honest
Old 23-04-2010, 14:49   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
To paraphrase Kipling/Cecil Rhodes:

"To be born English is to draw the winning ticket in the lottery of life. To be born a Lancastrian is to win the Double Rollover."

Shame Garinda is from Ossy.....he's just lost his ticket
No Tealeaf he hasn't it, its been stollen, by some bar steward from Church
Old 24-04-2010, 15:22   #103
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Young Ken was enjoying St George's Day in the local pubs and it was superb, I've never seen so much national pride on display in Rishton before.

Hope everyone else had as good a time as I did.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 15:34   #104
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm getting a bit worried myself Wyn, I only put sugar in his brew when he called yesterday, I haven't done nout, I'm not guilty, honest
Two men on opposite sides of the Great Divide enjoying tea? TOGETHER?

Is there room for another open mind in the Hyndburn Council chamber?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 09:03   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Two men on opposite sides of the Great Divide enjoying tea? TOGETHER?

Is there room for another open mind in the Hyndburn Council chamber?
Na come on Ken it was coffee

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..