Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2008, 19:47   #91

Re: Support For Migrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
No they are not, they are working in jobs that the indigenous population used to work in for minimum wages. They are working for less than minimum wages but rest assured it gets topped up with tax credits. It really annoys me that the workers of this country fought long and hard to get wages and working conditions away from the workhouse mentality only for somebody else to come in take the jobs and knock it back to square one. If you have ever worked long hard hours for a crap wage you would also be angry that this is being allowed to happen!!!
This sounds a bit like Daily Mail hype.

It is illegal to pay anyone below Nat Minimum Wage. As an employer I would not risk it at any cost. Although I can see that some industries (the rather less attractive one) may be desperate enough to try it and pay cash in hand at a rate below the set hourly rate.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2008, 19:50   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
The figures you quote are correct 71.6% do consider themselves Christian but only 10% attend Church weekly.

It is surely this minority who would want everything closed on the Sabbath?

Infact I am not sure about that, I maybe making an assumption, as I know quiet a few practising Catholics who go to Mass on Saturdays so they can shop on Sundays?
I don't trust percentages and statistics... in reality 78% of statistics are incorrect!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 19:51   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Would you also expect the Spanish government to pay for your Spanish lessons ?
Spanish lessons are offered and part subsidised by the Government in Spain to all EU foreign nationals....A fee to make up the balance is paid by the student.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 19:53   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
where do you get your facts from ?.. you can't get tax credits unless you supply details of your income (P60 etc) .. the only way to be paid less than the minimum wage would to be un-registred for tax.. so how could you be "topped up" with tax credits?
Easy, the tax credits office ask 2 very important questions, do you work over 30 hours and how much is your annual salary. The answer to part 1 will be yes and the annual salary is in the region of 10.5k. Therefore the tax office assume you are earning minimum wage. The fact that you are working 50 or 60 hours for that 10.5k is irrelevant to the tax credit claim, and if you value your job as an immigrant then you will take all the 'advice' an employer offers when it comes to claiming tax credits.

Another method used is to pay minimum wage then charge extortionate board & lodgings deducted directly from wages. The employers can't do this to the native population because we know better. Therefore the preferred person for the job is somebody who moved over here.
Old 23-06-2008, 19:54   #95

Quote:
I don't trust percentages and statistics... in reality 78% of statistics are incorrect!
Agreed and of course any figures can be manipulated but they are the best we have to go on to make a rational analysis of a situation. Migrant labour is too open to irrational assumption, as we have seen
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 20:01   #96
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You are missing the point. We don't want to be in the EU if it means we have to allow people from other Countries to come here and work when we don't want or need them.
Excellent Neil, Declan you bloody idiot what have you been reading to come up with such ideas, wake up man.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 20:06   #97
Accy Red

Quote:
This what I like to hear from Accy Webber's.. the legendary good old Lancashire welcome to our fellow Europeans !!
Mancs are just as welcome in my house as eastern europeans just to prove I'm no racist.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 23-06-2008, 20:14   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Mancs are just as welcome in my house as eastern europeans just to prove I'm no racist.
Sound man!.. same with me when scousers come round... (but I always hide my money underneath loads of bars of soap.. it's like garlic to a vampire! )
Old 23-06-2008, 20:20   #99
Accy Red

Mancie still waiting for your reply to lancsdave, he's got you this time, face facts employers are using immigrants because they will take less than the minimum wage.

Old 23-06-2008, 20:31   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Mancie still waiting for your reply to lancsdave, he's got you this time, face facts employers are using immigrants because they will take less than the minimum wage.
What employers are these?.. if you have a business you are not going to be in business very long if you employ bods and pay below the minimum wage.. you would have to pay by cash and then cook the books.
This may happen in small shops who employ one or maybe two people.. but do you really think any recognised business would go to the trouble and risk being struck off?... it's rubbish man!
Old 23-06-2008, 21:01   #101
Junior Member+

i have not missed the point, if you dont want anyone from the E.U to come to the Uk as is their right, then it means that all Uk citizens living abroad would be forced to come back, whither or not they wanted to, but in the real world which the rest of us live, we are part of the E.U we signed up to all its charters and the Masstrict treaty signed by PM Margaret Thatcher allowed the exchange of labour and free movement of all citizens and the UK is not going to leave the E.U no political party would ever advocate that, and Garinda you might want the Uk to sink into economic oblivon by leaving the E.U and all non British leave the UK but it aint going to happen, how you can be so against people who come to the UK is beyond me, when other countries who take far more have no problems at all with this, it shows an inferiority and paranoid complex, your position thank God is not supportive by the decent majority people in the Uk. And what about all the people who have left the Uk five million alone in past six years and a majority of them working in nearly all the E.U countries, i attended a conference in Rome three weeks ago where easing up the labour market even more so was discussed and many delegates from the Uk were showing the number of UK citizens working and making new lives outside of the Uk, the views of we dont want anyone coming to the Uk at all and lets leave the E.U are even beneath the gutter tabloid press even they dont hold such racist and obnoxious views, putting our own countries problems on the backs of others is beneath contempt, remember this none of this is going to change people within the E.U can travel and work by right and law in any of the states hundreds of thosands of people from Uk have left to seek such work due to the failing Uk economy and lack of employment in deprived areas such as the North West and good luck to them if they in whatever country they moved to were racially abused or told to leave you can bet the uproar that would be caused, and finally remember as i always do you are talking here about human beings stop the demonising of such people this is how Hitler started his campaign of terror with the Jewish people and we know where that ended.
Old 23-06-2008, 21:24   #102
God Member

Sounds very much that are a bit niffed at the Irish 'No' vote.
I take up one very good point from your sermon.
Five million UK citizens chose to live and work abroad.
There is a hell of a difference doing that than coming to a country in order to sponge off the taxpayer....in our case, the British tax payer.
I am against the vote for Europe....We are a democratic Country and If I don't agree with something that the lawmakers are doing, I can do something about it.
The Faceless wonders in Brussels, unellected I might add, havent a bloody clue what's happening in deprived areas like the North West as you choose to refer to it as.
I have seen how other countries have benefited from the hand out's from the EU...New infrastucture all round..........Does that happen in the UK...No it does not.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 21:27   #103
Beacon of light

Declan, I think if the British people were allowed a vote on whether they wanted to be in the EU or out of it........most of them would vote to be out of it.
When we first joined the Common Market(as it was called then) I recall it being put forward mainly as an aid to trade.....it was never envisaged that it would become the great monstrous European state, with people who we haven't elected making decisions for us....decisions that we can have no influence over. This to me is not democracy.
I do not want to be European. I am BRITISH, and wish to stay British.
And just to stay in keeping with the thread........I do not feel that having money spent on Migrants will make them integrate....only the migrants who want to integrate will do so, and they will do it whether they have money spent to make integration easier or not.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 21:35   #104
God Member

Quote:
What employers are these?.. if you have a business you are not going to be in business very long if you employ bods and pay below the minimum wage.. you would have to pay by cash and then cook the books.
This may happen in small shops who employ one or maybe two people.. but do you really think any recognised business would go to the trouble and risk being struck off?... it's rubbish man!
Maybe your'e right. I forgot all businesses in the UK are legit.
Old 23-06-2008, 21:40   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Maybe your'e right. I forgot all businesses in the UK are legit.
You'll have to do abit better than that now won't you..my son!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..