Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 21:32   #1
Senior Member+

taxi rip off

Tonight (Saturday) my neice ordered a taxi from Arrow taxis just after tea time, and asked how much it would be, the receptionist quoted a price of £2.50p as it was only a two minute ride. The taxi arrived, and she got in , the taxi (a minibus) set off on the journey, she mentioned to the driver that the fee was quoted as £2.50p. He said no it isnt, its double because of the bad weather. She said that she wasnt paying that as she already had a price. With that the driver ordered her out of the taxi some 200 hundred yards from her start point, a woman on her own she complied.

As anyone who was out and about at this time you will know that it was sleet that was freezing on contact. it was -2c at the time. She had no choice but to return to her start point despite the hazardous conditions.

Now the question is, was it the driver who was taking advantage of the high volume of users due to the weather, to make a bit extra, or was it the company, or is there a policy of double the price in bad weather. What happened to Duty of Care, and Health and Safety.

I will be making a complaint to the council first thing Monday morning, but so that you know it was Arrow Taxis located on Kenyon Street, use at your peril
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2012, 21:48   #2
Senior Member+

Re: taxi rip off

Rip Off merchants ant excuse to make a quick buck
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 21:49   #3
Senior Member+

Sorry can't spell any
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 21:52   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

They did us New Years Eve, expected it to be double no problem, but charged 4 times the normal fare, just won't ever use em again.
Old 04-02-2012, 22:15   #5
God Member

Ahhh a taxi firm in accy did this not long ago with my friends elderly aunt, they charged her double because of the bad weather, it may have been arrow, can't understand why anyone uses that firm anymore, they are more expensive than max or legend, i've never ever paid double in the bad weather, i stick with Legend taxi's
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 22:18   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Me mate n wife used there local un New Years Eve shaz n it cost em less to pigging Hapton from Pop Club, than it cost me.
Old 04-02-2012, 22:22   #7
God Member

Kin ell cashy, thats ridiculous
Old 04-02-2012, 22:25   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Kin ell cashy, thats ridiculous
I know, but we had a great night n missus gets upset if i kick off, so just paid up n thought stuff em.
Old 05-02-2012, 00:41   #9
God Member

think yourself lucky, taxis up here are that expensive without the bad weather.they dont believe me when i tell them how cheap they are in accy
Old 05-02-2012, 01:29   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
think yourself lucky, taxis up here are that expensive without the bad weather.they dont believe me when i tell them how cheap they are in accy
It wasnt just the cost, but that was a sneaky way, quoting one price on the phone and then doubling it when the journey had started. It was the ordering her out of the cab when she wouldnt pay the extra cost, it was dark, the sleet was freezing on contact, it was minus two degrees, and this was done without regard for the safety of the passenger.
I dont even think it is legal to double the cost in bad weather, and when does weather become "bad" is it when people choose to take a taxi as it is not nice to walk. Just becouse it gets busy is no reason to double prices.
if you went in a shop and it was busy would you expect the prices to double, or if it was three deep at the bar would you expect a price hike.

Last edited by Mick; 05-02-2012 at 05:50.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42   #11
God Member

Report them to the council Dave and go to the Telegraph
Old 05-02-2012, 07:35   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Report them to the council Dave and go to the Telegraph
Putting the fares up because of the bad weather was illegal. Report the company (Arrow?) to the Council. Its a pity you didn't take the name or number of the driver. The Council could have taken action against him as an individual, and you might even have had a case to go to the police.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Tonight (Saturday) my neice ordered a taxi from Arrow taxis just after tea time, and asked how much it would be, the receptionist quoted a price of £2.50p as it was only a two minute ride. The taxi arrived, and she got in , the taxi (a minibus) set off on the journey, she mentioned to the driver that the fee was quoted as £2.50p. He said no it isnt, its double because of the bad weather. She said that she wasnt paying that as she already had a price. With that the driver ordered her out of the taxi some 200 hundred yards from her start point, a woman on her own she complied.

As anyone who was out and about at this time you will know that it was sleet that was freezing on contact. it was -2c at the time. She had no choice but to return to her start point despite the hazardous conditions.

Now the question is, was it the driver who was taking advantage of the high volume of users due to the weather, to make a bit extra, or was it the company, or is there a policy of double the price in bad weather. What happened to Duty of Care, and Health and Safety.

I will be making a complaint to the council first thing Monday morning, but so that you know it was Arrow Taxis located on Kenyon Street, use at your peril

Agreed it is a rip off however intially I would complain to the owner to find out is it company policy or is it driver trying to make a quick buck and then when you have clarrified that and you don't receive satisfaction then it's time to go the press and the council. I'm not sure if they can vary their prices without getting approval. In any event you had a verbal contract on the price.

I wonder what he would have done if he had reached the destination and then quibbled - would he if have gone back to the start of the journey

keep us informed of progress

Last edited by hedman2003; 05-02-2012 at 07:51.
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00   #14
Give, give, give member

Never been charged more, due to the weather being bad.

Took a cab yesterday afternoon.

Talked to the driver about the forecast snow.

He said he was expecting it to be a very quiet night, as lots of people would decide not to venture out.

Always get Max Cabs Now.

Very cheap, reliable, and now they know me, always go out of their way to be helpful if I'm not having a good day. Even carrying my shopping into my house, on occasion.

I'd definitely report the driver from Arrow.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04   #15
JFT96

Thanks for the information Dave, I will let my Mother in Law know, so she does not use ARROW TAXIS
Please let us know how you get on

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..