Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30   #31
Senior Member+

Re: taxi rip off

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Would only seem fair to me; they may fall over themselves to put the matter right (or not). If people don't complain direct to a company, how can they know that their service is failing ?
you may be right , but if you go in a shop and get bad service you dont go back.
Having slept on it, I would not change my attitude towards the company and would not approach it any differently.
If a vulnerable woman is told pay the price or get out of my taxi, I do not feel disposed to entering into dialogue with the boss of the company. To re-state the facts it was minus two degrees, sheet ice on the ground, dark, and this drivers only concern was money, no concideration for the safety of his passenger.
This man was the public face of the taxi firm, so no I dont want dialogue.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
if you go in a shop and get bad service you dont go back.
That's exactly what you should do.

Asking to speak to whoever is in charge. Either the owner, or the manager.

All firms can unknowingly employ staff who aren't doing their job properly.

You can't expect them to improve their service, if they don't know about a problem.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:30   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's exactly what you should do.

Asking to speak to whoever is in charge. Either the owner, or the manager.

All firms can unknowingly employ staff who aren't doing their job properly.

You can't expect them to improve their service, if they don't know about a problem.
You have a point, and yes I would do this to make a complaint, but I think this to my mind is bad and dangerous practice and should not be left to the firm to sort it, or sweep it under the carpet. It requires an outside authority to oversee the complaint.
I am not saying people should not use this firm, I am just saying how my neice was treated. It may be a one off, or it may be that this has happened before.

Therfore if you use this firm and are happy then please continue, but this firm is off my christmas card list, If I had one, and if I liked christmas.

I am informed that my niece at the time tried to ring and complain, but as the firm was busy, the phone was continualy engaged. I was the one who was phoned to take her home and did notice a high number off taxis on the road with not many private cars.

Thanks for the input though
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You have a point, and yes I would do this to make a complaint, but I think this to my mind is bad and dangerous practice and should not be left to the firm to sort it, or sweep it under the carpet. It requires an outside authority to oversee the complaint.
I am not saying people should not use this firm, I am just saying how my neice was treated. It may be a one off, or it may be that this has happened before.

Therfore if you use this firm and are happy then please continue, but this firm is off my christmas card list, If I had one, and if I liked christmas.

I am informed that my niece at the time tried to ring and complain, but as the firm was busy, the phone was continualy engaged. I was the one who was phoned to take her home and did notice a high number off taxis on the road with not many private cars.

Fair enough.

We're all different.

My first call would definitely have been to complain to the person in charge, to inform them what had happened, and I would try to find out as much information as I could, before taking the matter further.

If I wasn't happy, only then would I have made the matter known publicly.

As it stands you are still in the dark.

For all you know the driver might have been carrying out accepted company policy, and the person on the switchboard was in the wrong, by giving out the wrong price.

Knowledge is power.

Old 05-02-2012, 13:41   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Fair enough.

We're all different.

My first call would definitely have been to complain to the person in charge, to inform them what had happened, and I would try to find out as much information as I could, before taking the matter further.

If I wasn't happy, only then would I have made the matter known publicly.

As it stands you are still in the dark.

For all you know the driver might have been carrying out accepted company policy, and the person on the switchboard was in the wrong, by giving out the wrong price.

Knowledge is power.
My niece did attempt to contact them, but an engaged tone every time put a stop to that. Anyway the die is now cast and a email to the council has been sent. I will await the outcome, but I think I know their reply now.
Old 05-02-2012, 14:50   #36
Senior Member+

I have it on good authority that this was not the policy of Arrow taxis last night and the driver was obviously out to make a quick buck, the reg number and any description would be useful as Arrow are very keen to look into this issue. ( On a personal note I've used them for years and never, ever had a problem with them.)
Old 05-02-2012, 15:13   #37

Quote:
My niece did attempt to contact them, but an engaged tone every time put a stop to that. Anyway the die is now cast and a email to the council has been sent. I will await the outcome, but I think I know their reply now.
Perhaps the line was engaged with customers ringing to say they had just been abandoned in the snow by a taxi driver who was trying to fleece them
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 15:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I have it on good authority that this was not the policy of Arrow taxis last night and the driver was obviously out to make a quick buck, the reg number and any description would be useful as Arrow are very keen to look into this issue. ( On a personal note I've used them for years and never, ever had a problem with them.)

More importantly what action are they to take against the driver if it was not the firms policy
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 16:40   #39

Quote:
Y
I am not saying people should not use this firm
Yes you are, it was the first post "use at your peril". Now you are potentially slandering a firm, based on one bad experience, without giving the firm chance to comment or redress. Now if you were on here telling us they had told you to "go away" then fine, but I`d be getting their side of the story first.
Old 05-02-2012, 17:25   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Agreed.

Any barrel could contain a bad apple.

Which will remain there, unless someone informs you of it's presence.

It will have been logged, as to which driver was given this job, and could very well already be under investigation now, finding out as to why this happened.

Rather than waiting until tomorrow, for the council's bureaucratic wheels to start rolling.

Old 05-02-2012, 22:17   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
lindsay, have sent a pm
Old 05-02-2012, 22:22   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
Yes you are, it was the first post "use at your peril". Now you are potentially slandering a firm, based on one bad experience, without giving the firm chance to comment or redress. Now if you were on here telling us they had told you to "go away" then fine, but I`d be getting their side of the story first.
perhaps the use of the words "at your peril" were tempered with the situation at the time, but I still say it is up to the individual to base there descision on the facts.
How have I slandered the firm, unless you doubt my recollection of the incident, perhaps you could be more specific as to the slanderous portion of my complaint
Old 06-02-2012, 17:32   #43
Senior Member+

Are there any regulations with regards to Maximum pricing for taxi's and is it dearer to get a Taxi off a rank in Town rather than ring one up?

I havn't used a Taxi for ages so no idea of costs now, but i've just been round to my neighbours house this afternoon, she's an old lady of 90 years, and because she was cold down town on Saturday morning rather than wait for a bus to Avenue Parade (block below post office) she got a Taxi from the Union street rank, and was charged £3.70p which i think is a lot for such a short distance.

I've had a leaflet through the door from a company called Millerz taxis, who say their minimum charge is 99p which would cover the likes of Fern Gore to accy centre & Accy to Bolton avenue at £2.50.

So £3.70 to me sounds like a rip off too, in comparison?

Best regards - taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:36   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Are there any regulations with regards to Maximum pricing for taxi's and is it dearer to get a Taxi off a rank in Town rather than ring one up?

I haven't used a Taxi for ages so no idea of costs now, but i've just been round to my neighbours house this afternoon, she's an old lady of 90 years, and because she was cold down town on Saturday morning rather than wait for a bus to Avenue Parade (block below post office) she got a Taxi from the Union street rank, and was charged £3.70p which i think is a lot for such a short distance.

I've had a leaflet through the door from a company called Millerz taxis, who say their minimum charge is 99p which would cover the likes of Fern Gore to accy centre & Accy to Bolton avenue at £2.50.

So £3.70 to me sounds like a rip off too, in comparison?

Best regards - taggy
There's a difference between Private hire and Taxis taggy, Taxis are metered, private hire aren't, think with some private hire its think of a number, I'm nearly sure the fare for taxis is set by the licencing authority, but I may be wrong
Old 06-02-2012, 17:40   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There's a difference between Private hire and Taxis taggy, Taxis are metered, private hire aren't, think with some private hire its think of a number, I'm nearly sure the fare for taxis is set by the licencing authority, but I may be wrong
Just wanted to get some ideas as to if that figure was a bit high, it sounded it to me Jaysay & i don't like to think of an old lady being overcharged!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..