Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2013, 17:54   #16
I am Banned

Re: taxi's on strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the council are supposed to keep check on the state of teh taxis but when i spoke to the person covering our area he wasnt interested in unfit cars been on the road taking kids to school .
Well report the numpty You have a social responsibility... use it.
harakilen likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2013, 18:13   #17
God Member

Quote:
the council are supposed to keep check on the state of teh taxis but when i spoke to the person covering our area he wasnt interested in unfit cars been on the road taking kids to school .

were supposed to believe that somone from teh council randomly visits taxi firms to keep check but how can they be doing when theres so many taxis out there that arnt up to code
All cabs in Kingston are required to have three ministry safety checks a year ... MOT (Ontario Ministry of Transport) does the checks ... if the cab fails, its licence is pulled. KATC does random spot checks on cabs ... cabs can be pulled even for a missing hubcap. The KATC is a part of City Council. Two councillors sit on the commitee, plus the taxi inspector (full-time paid position). All three taxi companies are required by law to charge the same rates, and meters are set and sealed by the inspector. If you get into a cab with an unsealed meter, you don't have to pay the fare.

I'm not saying that we do things better, or, that the way we do things is the only way. But people who phone for a cab ... in Hyndburn or in K'town ... , or who stagger into one when leaving the pub (hey, that's me), have a right to expect that the cab is clean, well-maintained, fully insured (with lots of passenger liability insurance), and driven by someone who knows what the hell he/she is doing.
gpick24 likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 18:29   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm not saying that we do things better, or, that the way we do things is the only way. But people who phone for a cab ... in Hyndburn or in K'town ... , or who stagger into one when leaving the pub (hey, that's me), have a right to expect that the cab is clean, well-maintained, fully insured (with lots of passenger liability insurance), and driven by someone who knows what the hell he/she is doing.
Preaching to the converted there Dr Eric

*Well it is Easter*
Old 30-03-2013, 20:27   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Who do you think takes any notice ?
Old 30-03-2013, 21:46   #20
God Member

Quote:

theres only so long you can tleerat ebeen put on hold only to be put through to teh same guy

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 22:28   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
theres only so long you can tleerat ebeen put on hold only to be put through to teh same guy
A well written letter usually hits the spot.
Old 30-03-2013, 22:40   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Who do you think takes any notice ?
Old 30-03-2013, 22:58   #23
Junior Member+

thankyou everyone for your replys. personally i dont mind if they want to put the prices up a little but a minimum fare of £4.50 is a bit high. as i said before i dont drive, i live at the top of ormerod street and do my weekly shop at tesco, i buy too much at a time to walk up the hill with it so i get a taxi, if they get their way with this i would have to pay £4.50 for that very short journey, just think such a hike in the minimum fare all at once is not right
Restless likes this.
urban caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 23:29   #24
God Member

Quote:
A well written letter usually hits the spot.

that is assuming that if by some miracle they dont loose it they can actually read it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 06:18   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
better still why dosnt every taxi driver in teh UK drive to london
Oh come on Accyman most taxi drivers round here don't know where the next street is never mind find London
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 08:15   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Me too...wouldn't use anyone else....Great service and really helpful lads (and lasses too).
Not forgetting clean quite well maintained vehicles too
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 08:18   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What's this minimum fare thing? Don't the cabs have meters? If they do, that seems like a helluva price for the drop fee. Another thing I ain't sure about: Who grants the taxi licences? Is there a Taxi Commision to licence and inspect cabs, and to test potential drivers?

I'm thinking of something along these lines:

Kingston Area Taxi Commission - Development
The thing is Eric most are not taxis they're private hire cars, if they are a licenced taxi they have to display a meter and charge the rates set by the licensing authority
Busman747 likes this.
Old 31-03-2013, 08:28   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The thing is Eric most are not taxis they're private hire cars, if they are a licenced taxi they have to display a meter and charge the rates set by the licensing authority
To be pedantic, Its Hackney or Private Hire, Both are classed as a Taxi, The Hackney has to have a meter n charge the said rates, or at least that was the case early 80s when i had a hackney.
Old 31-03-2013, 08:32   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be pedantic, Its Hackney or Private Hire, Both are classed as a Taxi, The Hackney has to have a meter n charge the said rates, or at least that was the case early 80s when i had a hackney.
Pedantic don't you swear at me, or I'll get you at playtime
Old 31-03-2013, 10:05   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You could always email the Chief Exec at Hyndburn David Welsby. Most HBC email addresses are [email protected]
Restless likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..