Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2014, 14:17   #1
God Member

Testing the limits.

Most of us on here ... maybe all of us ... live in societies which, in terms of race, religion, culture, sexuality, and all that kind of stuff, are tolerant and accepting. However, muslims seem to be pushing the limits of our tolerance. Things like this:

Soldier struck by Martin Rouleau in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., hit and run dies - Montreal - CBC News

Of course, many will say things like: "But there are millions of decent muslims who just want to make a life for their families and fit in, in whatever country which has accepted them as citizens." Ok, so there are. Although as some on here have pointed out, they become a "silent majority" whenever new islamic outrages occur. But there seem to also be (sorry about the split infinitive) more millions of radical, and radicalized muslims who see it as their role in life to pee off the rest of the world. Not only am I becoming an islamophobe, I'm becoming quite comfortable as one. And I believe that events such as the one that happened in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu will push many of us easy-going, laid-back Canucks over the edge.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-10-2014, 14:33   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Testing the limits.

I have no gripe at all with any race/creed who want to come here to work...to add to the fabric of our society.

I do not require them to ditch their culture, but neither do I expect to have to dilute or change our rich culture to accommodate their needs over mine.

I have no qualms about them practising whichever religion they have, or no religion......but I do not wish to have hordes of women dressed from head to foot in black with only a slit where their eyes are....this is not a requirement of the Quran, or the Islamic religion...if it were then it would be much more prevalent in Morrocco and other Muslim countries.

I abhor the fact that a section of the population can grow up in an environment of freedoms that their parents didn't have, with education and medical care given to them freely.......and then for these young people to go abroad, to pledge allegiance to a regime which uses seventh century barbarism to further its cause.......and that they can be labeled 'BRITISH'.

Yes Eric you are right, there are going to be those who say that the vast majority of this section of the population are law abiding citizens......if that is the case why do they not stand up and proclaim themselves to be against what is going on right now.
And someone is going to say...there have been people who have stood up to say that this is un-Islamic/barbaric...but not enough of them to make a difference...and their voices have been only in a whisper.......It needs to be the message that resounds from the top of every minaret on the mosques of the UK.......spoken by the Mullah as he calls the faithful to prayer.
BOB, Eric, Gremlin and 4 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 16:38   #3

Worth a watch

keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 17:06   #4
Beacon of light

I saw that when it was originally broadcast and thought it was spot on.
Old 21-10-2014, 17:10   #5
Senior Member+

I'm guessing i'll be alone on this thread (nothing new),well here goes

You may of noticed a sharp rise in crime (committed disproportionately by EE migrants).

You may of noticed how you hardly ever hear a English voice in your local shop.

You may of noticed how some signs are now in various languages and not Engish.

You may say 'what happened to my Great Britain'?

However today barely a day goes by without a sensationalised headline featuring some story about Muslims. Is Islamophobia now the acceptable face of racism?
Islamophobia has now become a recognised form of racism.
Furthermore, as with the inaccuracy of such terms as ‘anti-Semitism’, to describe the anti-Jewish hostility that developed in the late nineteenth century, ‘Islamophobia’ bears many similar hallmarks.

I can’t say that I agree with any religion, personally,they all seem equally idiotic to me. What I can say is that if you preside over years of bombings, regime changes, and enforced economic depression you are going to create some really upset folk, blaming their religion for the fact that they have been shafted and they are going to resort to violence doesn't seems to make any sense to me.
I think the threat from Islamist organisations is over exaggerated and they don't pose an existential threat to any western society

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 17:27   #6
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

I think the threat from Islamist organisations is over exaggerated and they don't pose an existential threat to any western society
Well, of course you are entitled to your opinion.

It was not eastern Europeans who beheaded Alan Hennings....who incidentally went to deliver aid to help Syrian children.
It wasn't Eastern Europeans who, in the middle of an English town, in broad daylight and with children looking on, beheaded Lee Rigby.

It is not Islamophobia to say that the barbaric treatment to the other branches of islam(where babies, women and girls were beheaded and IS terrorists, by their own admission, played football with their heads just because they did not worship the same islamic brand of the faith) is just plain wrong on every level........the perpetrators are Muslims that is a fact.

Much of the terror which is perpetrated in the west is done in the name of Islam....a supposedly peaceful religion.
Yet the law abiding muslims sit on their hands and do nothing....they do not speak out....or if they do it is in such muted tones as to be unheard.

In my life and my career I have worked with all religions and creeds....I have had no gripe with any of them....and while we are talking about religion, it isn't religion which is wrong...it is mans interpretation of religion...the way he has twisted it to suit his own aims.

For some people religion is a driving force in their lives...because it is not a driving force in your life does not give you the right to call it idiotic...by doing this you are being derogatory to those who have a professed faith and this is both insensitive and offensive.

I hope you prove to be right about IS not being a threat to the west, but myself, I think you are at best naive, and at worst misguided.
Eric, Gremlin and Turtle like this.
Old 21-10-2014, 17:38   #7
God Member

Quote:

However today barely a day goes by without a sensationalised headline featuring some story about Muslims.
So, when Lee Rigby was murdered, the problem was "sensationalised" headlines ... not the fact that he was hacked to death in the street by muslims

And there are significant differences between anti-semitism and islamophobia ... In Nazi Germany, Jews were not causing any shiite ... they weren't bombing buildings, flying Stukas into office buildings, murdering men because they were wearing the uniform of their country, and threatening to destabilize the world. They were peaceful, contributing members of German society, many of them decorated veterans of WWl. And yet they were hauled off in their millions to death camps.

Even today, British Jews, US Jews, Canadian Jews are not being radicalized into violence. And before we get into another debate about Gaza, remember what Britain and the US did to Iraq.

A radical Jewish attack on London's subway system is about as likely as Dr. Josef Mengele's being awarded a posthumous Nobel Prize for medicine for his groundbreaking medical research at Auschwitz.
Old 21-10-2014, 17:50   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm guessing i'll be alone on this thread (nothing new),well here goes

You may of noticed a sharp rise in crime (committed disproportionately by EE migrants).

You may of noticed how you hardly ever hear a English voice in your local shop.

You may of noticed how some signs are now in various languages and not Engish.

You may say 'what happened to my Great Britain'?

However today barely a day goes by without a sensationalised headline featuring some story about Muslims. Is Islamophobia now the acceptable face of racism?
Islamophobia has now become a recognised form of racism.
Furthermore, as with the inaccuracy of such terms as ‘anti-Semitism’, to describe the anti-Jewish hostility that developed in the late nineteenth century, ‘Islamophobia’ bears many similar hallmarks.

I can’t say that I agree with any religion, personally,they all seem equally idiotic to me. What I can say is that if you preside over years of bombings, regime changes, and enforced economic depression you are going to create some really upset folk, blaming their religion for the fact that they have been shafted and they are going to resort to violence doesn't seems to make any sense to me.
What an absolute moron you are - day after day you attempt to prove it to us. Give up, we already acknowledge that you are, and a wannabe troll as a bonus.
Old 21-10-2014, 17:58   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:

You wouldn't say that if you'd been on a top floor of the World Trade Centre.

Like those 2996 innocent people you wouldn't be saying much.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:32   #10

I'm no great fan of Mr Putin, but he has been recently quoted " there are no minorities in Russia; if you live here you conform to our society or you go somewhere else, we do not tolerate we do not accept behaviour which offends our society nor will we tolerate acts against our nation"
That seems to sum up the typical reaction of the posts in this thread, minorities currently hold a grip on media and political opinion far beyond their social influence, and this has the effect of causing resentment among anyone who would normally advocate tolerance.
It would appear that I am no longer allowed to be offended; I am " racist, homophobic, ageist, youngist???" put a label on me if you like. But I still find a lot of behaviour offensive and a lot of that behaviour stems from people that I am instructed I must welcome into my community, how would I fare should I impose myself into another community and demand they conform to my standards, it is frequently difficult enough conforming to those of this forum.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:56   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Not only am I becoming an islamophobe, I'm becoming quite comfortable as one. And I believe that events such as the one that happened in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu will push many of us easy-going, laid-back Canucks over the edge.
Are you posting similar threads fomenting unrest over there in Canada Eric?
If not why not?
Send us the links in the interests of balance please.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 19:03   #12
Beacon of light

Do you consider Eric is fomenting unrest.....or do you consider the unrest is already present and Eric is just asking a question which relates to an incident which happened over there?

There is already unrest here. Nothing that Eric can say will alter that one way or another.
Old 21-10-2014, 22:12   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Do you consider Eric is fomenting unrest.....or do you consider the unrest is already present and Eric is just asking a question which relates to an incident which happened over there?

There is already unrest here. Nothing that Eric can say will alter that one way or another.
Yes to both your questions Margaret.
Seeking to legitimise hostility even violence towards Muslims has enough advocates over here, already. That said I am looking forward to Eric's replies not yours.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 23:42   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Are you posting similar threads fomenting unrest over there in Canada Eric?
If not why not?
Send us the links in the interests of balance please.
Fomenting unrest, moi! Advocating violence against muslims? Surely, you must realize those are "hate crimes". The only violence contemplated by Canada is the deployment of RCAF CF 18s to Kuwait to help bomb the crap out of ISIS. What I am suggesting is putting an end to extremist radicalization of young Canadians which is going on with little effective protest from the larger muslim community. Lets simplify it for those who don't seem to grasp what is being discussed. Think of Canada as the home of a bunch of happy campers, as contented as the cows whose milk goes into Carnation, contemplating life with an impregnable, serene tranquility, disturbed only by blizzards and the late season collapse of the Jays. Now ... are we sitting comfortably ... certain immigrants come into our home (think of it as a log cabin in the woods) take advantage of all we have to offer, and, "sharper than a serpent's tooth" turn on us, and embrace an ideology that runs counter to all that we value.

And I don't post on any forums over here ... don't go on FB all that much ... and avoid Twitter like the plague. I did wander down to the boozer today where I took part in "discussions" about the murder of Patrice Vincent. I can't post links to that. But I can report that the mood was ugly.
mobertol likes this.
Old 22-10-2014, 01:17   #15
Senior Member+

The best insurance against extremism is your frontal cortex..this is worth a read
Changes in connectivity profiles define functionally distinct regions in human medial frontal cortex

All you need is a questioning/open and empathetic mind (and it also helps to have a loving heart).
Its too bad the media and governments dont try to instill such values, rather than relying excessively on our emotionally charged 'mammalian brains' and our primitive serpent brains (fight or flight) when dealing with such issues.A terrorist is simply a freedom fighter viewed from the other
Islamophobia is defined as a hatred or fear of Islam or Muslims.It is interesting to take note on what the word phobia means.Phobia means an irrational fear. To be afraid of Islam is irrational

Given its definition I believe it is easy to see that 'it is a type of 'racism' and given Islamophobias particular type of fear/hatred (deep seated in the individuals psyche) Islamophobia would be difficult to fix in my opinion so I wont be commenting again (on this thread).

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 22-10-2014 at 01:20.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..