Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2008, 11:13   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: The latest from Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
Why are you assuming i am a bike rider? i dont ride i drive
The post was about bike riders not you, sorry if I made a grammatical error, I often do, English is not my first language

I natively speak bulls**t
Old 25-02-2008, 11:20   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The post was about bike riders not you, sorry if I made a grammatical error, I often do, English is not my first language

thats ok

well your not in the minority there
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 11:22   #18
Senior Member+

oh i just cant to the double quote, sorry i meant to seperate the quote but couldnt do it
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 17:01   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Well at least thats one thing we have in common Neil
Old 25-02-2008, 18:20   #20
God Member

will we now see taxis that actualy have both lights working or will we still have to guess if its a motorbike or car coming the other way

this law will be enforced as well as the booster seat and mobile phone laws if you ask me
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 19:17   #21
God Member

What's the problem ... it's a great idea ... cars in Canada have daytime running lights which come on when you start the vehicle. Studies show that this cuts down on accidents by allowing motorists to see oncoming cars and bikes much sooner. Like the wearing of seat belts it is a definite safety feature.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 20:23   #22
God Member

Quote:
If bike riders knew that the speed limit is not a target to be doubled we might have chance to see you coming before we pull out and your body liquefies on impact with our cars.

I think bikes should be banned from the roads. All the improvements that have been made to cars for safety like air bags, seat belts, pre-tensioners and now these stupid Volvos that are going to start applying the brakes for you.
What have they done to improve bike safety, suggest you wear leathers and hand on tight?

I firmly believe that if the motorbike was invented today it would not be allowed on the public highway.
Ooooo, get her!!!

what saftey aspects are on bikes?

Anti lock brakes( so we can stop quickly on slippy surfaces), traction control(so we can get every possible ounce of power down) are two that fall into typical car driving mentality however bikers will extoll the virtues of superb brakes(seriously if you aint been on a sportsbike you have no idea how good they are, most cars are like chucking an anchor out the back and hoping in comparison), super sticky tyres so you can lean to ungodly angles to swerve round idiot cars, amazing suspension to dael with the crap roads we have in teh UK, lots of power to get you away from idiots, then the biggy............ riders on the whole are constantly thinking about their riding, not fiddling with Air-con/Radio/hair straighteners, shavers, the A-Z, the morning paper, texting their mate etc(BTW I have seen each and every one of these examples on teh motorway going to work, Yes I had to look twice at the straighteners!!!!). We also tend to be quite critical of our riding skills and look to improve them on each and every time we go out. When was the last time you heard a car driver discussing his driving skills and where he should improve?

Safety goes beyond having some computer telling you its safe and taking over if it thinks your an idiot.

IMHO the biggest aid to road safety this goverment could introduce is 8" spikes on all steering wheels and remove all seat belts. I bet there wouldn't be many tailgaters and drivers would start concentratinga damn site more than they do now.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 20:51   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The latest from Europe

The bikers are making the point that if all vehicles have their headlights on you wouldn’t know whether it was two bikers side by side or a car approaching in poor visibility.

They do have a point.

The only problem that I have with the lights on all the time rule is that there will always be some clown who has his headlights set for maximum elevation and has a full car and then has his main beam on as well. You can get blinded in daylight as well.

Maybe all cars should have hi-glow stripes?
Old 26-02-2008, 21:15   #24
God Member

im 99% against this simply because it is a rule from another country telling me what to do

the other %1 is against it because it is a pathetic idea

its bad enough with these bloody volovo's driving around with their lights on in daylight

the reason why the statistics show that it works in other countries isntbecause it actualy works its because in these countries they dont have the same ignorant attitude towards other people that we have in the UK , it just so happens they have lights on

on my way back from blackburn tonight i must have counted at least 30 cars with a headlight out, i couldnt believe how many there were and a few in front of me with a side light if not both out

no one polices the laws we have now because as far as i remember it can be 3 points if you have a light out , 10 years ago there were a lot less people driving unfit cars about but now people know that they wont get done so they dont give a crap if their headlight is out and in some cases i have seen them driving around with main beam on because that part of the bulb still works

its about time the police started pulling these idiots instead of hiding in bushes with radar guns

i have rode motorcycles myself and as far as i am concerned if you are going to sit on nothing more than an engine stuck on 2 wheels and weave in and out of traffic then silly you for putting yourself in that position in the frist place

Last edited by accyman; 26-02-2008 at 21:24.
Old 27-02-2008, 06:39   #25
God Member

Not one biker gets on with anything other than knowing he is more vunerable than car drivers. thats why they concentrate on what they are doing.

To be against something because you don't like who's telling you it? thats not only childish but pathetic. If we go around instilling that sort of attitude in our children then we end up with the exact thing that you complain about. Ignorant, couldn't care less idiots, which way do you want it?

Jambutty, I know its not that we agree often but I'm with you all along re people who don't understand what the dip function of their headlights is for. However I would question what difference is it if its two bikes side by side or 1 car you should still not pull out!

Old 27-02-2008, 07:42   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
To be against something because you don't like who's telling you it? thats not only childish but pathetic. If we go around instilling that sort of attitude in our children then we end up with the exact thing that you complain about. Ignorant, couldn't care less idiots, which way do you want it?

!
no entwisi its not pathetic to be against another country telling your country what to do ,your just annoyed that somone had a go at bikers which is justified seen as %90 of them deserve to go under the wheels of a waggon with the stupid and negligent things they do on the road , you may fancy yourself as Mr Goody two shoes on this forum but your probably just as much of an idiot as the rest of those that think traffic laws only exist for cars and complain when somone gets knocked off their motorbike
Old 27-02-2008, 09:26   #27
God Member

No other country has told us to do anything. A collective of countries that we have agreed to join are making collective discussions on what they believe is the right thing to do(rightly or wrongly just with any other law in any other country). Whether you like it or not we all live under rules imposed upon us by either laws of this country, morals or personal scruples. If you really struggle to accept this then you are going to be unhappy for pretty much the rest of your life.

I'm not annoyed that someone has had a go at bikers, I took Neils post and responded with my opinion based on my experience of > 20 years as a biker. Your statement of 90% of bikers shows just how ignorant you are of them. I doubt you know 10 bikers so how you can make sweeping statements about them being injured or how they ride shows you up to be talking from a viewpoint with little or no basis on reality. I sit here with a broken back which will cause me pain for the rest of my life due to a car driver making assumptions about bikers ignoring traffic laws. She decided that Amber to bikers meant accelerate where I know it means stop, unfortunately for me she decided to 'be a biker' and accelerated into the back of me as I stopped. so don't go pontificating at me about those who choose to ignore traffic laws.

Old 27-02-2008, 09:40   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
that we have agreed to join
Please don't use the 'we' word, I do not want to be in Europe. The sooner we get out the better

Did you get your car sorted out mate?
Old 27-02-2008, 09:43   #29
God Member

WE as in collective not majority then

should be delivered back in 20 mins!!!!! I'll post a mini review of the courtesy car when I get a minute (1.4 corsa automatic)

Old 27-02-2008, 09:46   #30
God Member

Seems very good for the environment. Well done EU, working hard.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..