Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2007, 13:18   #1
Beacon of light

The young, and Mental health problems.

There is a front page story today about youngsters suffering mental health problems.....apparently there has been a huge rise in young people with what are considered to be Mental health issues as compared to 70 years ago.
Well, 70 years ago the young people didn't have time to notice if they were depressed/anorexic/bulimic or what, because they were too busy going out to work,or fighting a war - now that did cause some mental health problems....and physical health ones too.
Are the mental health problems because these youngsters have used mind altering drugs.....have too little useful activity in their lives, or is it because they are too introspective and spend too much time navel gazing?

What are your opinions? I would value sensible answers to this thread please.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2007, 13:23   #2
God Member

Re: The young, and Mental health problems.

I think your post is nothing short of disgusting and a downright insult to all young children with mental health problems not to mention there poor families.. To suggest they must be taking drugs or the problems are of there own doing is to be quite frank cruel to anyone reading who has gone through anything like that.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:24   #3
God Member

Are you seriously expecting a sane opinion?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 13:27   #4
God Member

I think its down to it being more recognised now in this era instead of being ignored perhaps. Or its just on a rise due to change of what is defined as a mental illness?

None of the reasons you suggest though.

Also there seem to be alot of very depressed/anxious/unstable students these days due to the exam pressures. On the student forums there are quite a few people having break downs due to working too hard, rather than not at all
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 13:31   #5
Beacon of light

Kipax you are entitled to your opinion.......but it is a topic that should be discussed. If mental health problems are so prevalent, why do you think that is? Is it because diagnosis has got better?...or is it something environmental...or is it as I said because the young people concerned have too little to occupy themselves with......it is well accepted in treatment for depression that physical activity is better than many drugs in treating mild depression.
No slur was intended on people who do have genuine mental health problems...but sometimes Doctors will label someone with a mental health problem that stick and follows them for the rest of their lives. I have personal experience of something like that and the person concerned was not depressed at all, it was a side effect of prescriptiom medication.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-06-2007 at 13:37.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:36   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Kipax you are entitled to your opinion.......but it is a topic that should be discussed. If mental health problems are so prevalent, why do you think that is? Is it because diagnosis has got better?...or is it something environmental...or is it as I said because the young people concerned have too little to occupy themselves with......it is well accepted in treatment for depression that physical activity is better than many drugs in treating mild depression.
No slur was intended on people who do have genuine mental health problems...but sometimes Docotrs will label someone with a mental health problem that stick and follows them for the rest of their lives. I have personal experience of something like that and the person concerned was not depressed at all, it was a side effect of prescriptiom medication.
Depression caused by prescription medication is still depression (been there) and just as debilitating.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 13:36   #7
God Member

Quote:
No slur was intended on people who do have genuine mental health problems...but sometimes Docotrs will label someone with a mental health problem that stick and follows them for the rest of their lives. I have personal experience of something like that and the person concerned was not depressed at all, it was a side effect of prescriptiom medication.
I can agree with this aswell. With the NHS in shambles alot of doctors prescribe medication but cant give the counsilling to go alongside it so people are on medication for longer and its less effective.

However young people have plenty to do. What age group is this specificaly?
There are new laws to keep everyone under 18 in vocational or academic training/learning until they are 18, that way everyone has some sort of chance at qualifications. You can still go into full time work under 18 but your employer must give you training that leads to an official qualification or else they get fined.

It was due to go on trial when I read about that about a month ago.

I think definitions of mental illness has changed, especially in 70yrs. I think thats probably the main cause of the statistical change.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:39   #8
God Member

Quote:
Kipax you are entitled to your opinion.......
I am well aware of that. The very fact that I posted my opinion should have given you a clue that I know I am allowed an opinion. Do you really need to tell me?

Quote:
.but it is a topic that should be discussed.
I agree. I ahve no problems discussing such a topic. I do have a problem with the disgustingly outlandish claims you make as to what the problem is.

Quote:
If mental health problems are so prevalent, why do you think that is? Is it because diagnosis has got better?...
Now you post what you should have posted in the first place instead of insulting anyone with mental health problems or families of such..

I have a form of epilepsy.. I ahve had it all my life which includes as a child.... thats a mental health problem... I dont do drugs or stare at my navel for hours..

Maybe if you had posted your last post first instead of the drivel you did post then you would have had a better response
Old 20-06-2007, 13:40   #9
Beacon of light

Margaret.....I know that depression is debilitating, however it comes about......what I am saying is that perhaps there is an element of misdiagnosis. The person I am talking about had never had a realistic assessment, but was just sent away with a script for drugs which made the situation even worse.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:40   #10
God Member

I think KIPAX may be offended as all your suggestions were caused by the person themselves in the first post and made it sound like you assumed all young people with mental illness is due to either drugs or lack of something to do.

Deaths of loved ones still happens these days since the war. Maybe people are effected by death worse now at a younger as as we're more independant? Alot of younger people are classed as dependant on parents til their early twenties due to edcational differences and such. Also the property ladder keeps younger people at home dependant on their parents.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:43   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think KIPAX may be offended as all your suggestions were caused by the person themselves in the first post and made it sound like you assumed all young people with mental illness is due to either drugs or lack of something to do.
Whats to think? thats exactly what she did. she may change her attitude now but the original ignorant ill-informed post is still there.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:45   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
Whats to think? thats exactly what she did. she may change her attitude now but the original ignorant ill-informed post is still there.
Well obviously I know why your insulted but I didn't want to assume... You know how it is.

I still put it down to definition changes over the times but I remember now that I'm blocked by most people aren't I so anything I say is deemed as irrelevant.

Never mind, maybe someone will kindly point it out to her for me
Old 20-06-2007, 13:46   #13
Beacon of light

Kipax being from a medical background I know about epilepsy...and that was not the category of mental health problem that I was talking about.
and I was not giving you permission to have an opinion......or for that matter questioning your right to have one.
And I was not making outlandish claims either......I think I was asking a question.
The assertion I made about 70 years ago was certainly true...young people did not have time to notice if they were depressed etc.
If you feel that my thread is so out of order.....then there is a facility to report it.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:49   #14
Beacon of light

And I am not changing my attitude.....I am asking a question.
Old 20-06-2007, 13:49   #15
God Member

Quote:
Kipax being from a medical background I know about epilepsy...and that was not the category of mental health problem that I was talking about.
and I was not giving you permission to have an opinion......or for that matter questioning your right to have one.
And I was not making outlandish claims either......I think I was asking a question.
The assertion I made about 70 years ago was certainly true...young people did not have time to notice if they were depressed etc.
If you feel that my thread is so out of order.....then there is a facility to report it.
This is the point I mean lol! Epilepsy may not have been recognised as a mental illness before but it is now. Its the same for things that once where and not arent, having a baby outside of marriage for example, didnt that used to be something you'd be sectioned for in the 50's?

Times change and the definitions change. Thats why it looks like its increasing. I think its a reasonable observation.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..