Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2007, 13:53   #16
Beacon of light

Re: The young, and Mental health problems.

Epilepsy has been a recognised medical complaint for many many years....and it is a neurological complaint rather than a mental health problem.
It is certainly not like many other mental health problems which do get cured.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2007, 14:00   #17
I am Banned

What on earth is navel gazing?
Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:02   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Epilepsy has been a recognised medical complaint for many many years....and it is a neurological complaint rather than a mental health problem.
It is certainly not like many other mental health problems which do get cured.
Curable mental illnesses as I've already said aren't getting enough funding in the NHS to be treated effectively.
Those that arent curable are still considered mental illness and what is defined as either curable or not has certainly changed in some aspects over 70 years.

Some may be due to drug use but havent drugs been used for just as many years?
I don't think daydreaming and having nothing to do lead to as many mental illnesses as one might think. It certainly can lead to depression on different levels but there are many other aspects, including the compete opposite; being too busy, that lead to illnesses of that sort too.

I think its another problem of the NHS if its being diagnosed more frequently and also isnt even being treated the way it should.
Perhaps if they stopped diagnosing such minor depression and the likes as an illness that needs medication then those that do need treatment can also have the counselling on NHS along with the medication.
Its a matter of changing the boundaries maybe?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:02   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmoon View Post
What on earth is navel gazing?
staring at your belly button!
Old 20-06-2007, 14:03   #20
God Member

Quote:
Kipax being from a medical background I know about epilepsy...and that was not the category of mental health problem that I was talking about.
How are we supposed to know what your talking about when your making sucj outlandish blame all statements

Quote:
If you feel that my thread is so out of order.....then there is a facility to report it.
I dont feel the thread is out of order.. I already said its worth talking about.. or have you chosen to ignore that? I said I found your original comments to be disgusting and insulting to all who ahve been through this.. and for the record I ahve made a complaint thank you. All on my own without your help.
Old 20-06-2007, 14:09   #21
God Member

I was depressed for a few months after my friend died in december. I dont find it insulting that margaret assumes we're all druggies or lazy, I just feel its a shame that people cant put forward a nice reason as well as accusational ones for the illness.

If someone gets lung cancer do we assume they smoked 40 a day? I thought we were a bit more aware that things out of our control could control illnesses, both mental and physical.
Old 20-06-2007, 14:11   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I was depressed for a few months after my friend died in december. I dont find it insulting that margaret assumes we're all druggies or lazy, I just feel its a shame that people cant put forward a nice reason as well as accusational ones for the illness.
She did later when provoked into doing.. hence my comment that the later post should have been first... oh and me having a form of epilepsy was an aside and not the reason I was so taken aback by her post
Old 20-06-2007, 14:14   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
She did later when provoked into doing.. hence my comment that the later post should have been first... oh and me having a form of epilepsy was an aside and not the reason I was so taken aback by her post
I guess when you were young 40yrs ago things were pretty conservative in the country as all thoughts were on things that are different to today. I mean 70 yrs ago it was all mass production rather than being so cultural and having a demand for new things all the time. If you grew up in a time that was slow paced I guess you could get left behind with new ideas and definitions of things.
Old 20-06-2007, 14:27   #24
Resident Waffler

70 years ago people weren't treated for depression they were just locked away for life in institutions if they were in any way considered to have mental problems and that did indeed include the 'insanity' of being an unmarried mother or even, in the case of someone I knew, being profoundly deaf and unable to speak.

I don't think depression is ever caused by having nothing or too little to do. Boredom may be caused by lack of stimuli but that is not depression.

I have said before on this forum that depression is a genuine illness and the sufferers are often made worse by feelings of guilt when those who can't or won't understand blame them for not 'pulling themselves together'

The fact that young people are recognised more today as suffering from depression in a way is a good thing because at least it is recognised. During WWI soldiers suffering from mental problems due to the situation they were in were often shot by a firing squad as traitors. Thankfully we have come a long way since then.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:33   #25
God Member

havent I just recently (days) seen somehting on the news where new laws are coming in where mental health patients can be locked away even if they haven't done anything wrong? are we going back in time?
Old 20-06-2007, 14:35   #26
Resident Waffler

Yes I saw that and I thought it was incredible. What about their human rights? You can't just lock people away because they have the potential to do something wrong. That could apply to any one of us.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:37   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
havent I just recently (days) seen somehting on the news where new laws are coming in where mental health patients can be locked away even if they haven't done anything wrong? are we going back in time?
I dont think i've heard that yet myself, I havent had time to look at a newspaper or a telly damn revision.

It probably wont happen though do the the human rights act, plus it would mean the government would have to start expanding mental health hospitals and I dont think they have the money to do it.
Old 20-06-2007, 14:37   #28
Beacon of light

Willow,that is a very sensible answer to my question.
and as for accusational reasons...they were all hypotheses put forward for the huge rise in mental illness put forward by the group who did the research.
Blazey, I did not assume that you or any of your peers were Druggies
And Kipax, I have ignored nothing of your post.......even the fact that you are accomplished enough to complain.
Old 20-06-2007, 14:42   #29
Resting in peace

Was this not if a mental patient was convicted of committing an offence, caused by refusal to take their medication, they would be considered for incarceration or return to a secure unit.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:51   #30
Beacon of light

it was also to do with acts of terrorism.......it would have been a means of incarcerating suspects, but doctors have stated that it is their intention not to 'section' people who fall into this category....so patients with mental illness should not be affected.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..