Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 17:38   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: There'll be no Palin in the White House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It says something of the US political system that Sarah Palin got has far as she did; If she was in the UK, my guess is that the highest public role she would obtain would be that of a school dinner lady.

The woman is a 100% nutter.
Hang on a minute both Blair and Brown became Prime Minister
Old 11-10-2011, 17:40   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hang on a minute both Blair and Brown became Prime Minister
...and Cameron, helped by that nice chap Clegg, who came across ever so well on the telly.

The sad Americanisation of British politics is nothing to be proud of.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 18:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Top 10 Dumbest Sarah Palin Quotes

1. "As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008 (Watch video clip)

2. "The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil." –-Sarah Palin, in a message posted on Facebook about Obama's health care plan, Aug. 7, 2009

3. "All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a single newspaper or magazine she reads, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008 (Watch video clip)

4. "Well, let's see. There's ― of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ―" --Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with other than Roe vs. Wade, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008 (Watch video clip)

5. "'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'" --a Tweet sent by Sarah Palin in response to being ridiculed for inventing the word "refudiate," proudly mistaking her illiteracy for literary genius, July 18, 2010

6. "He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed." --Sarah Palin, botching the history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, June 3, 2011

7. "But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies." --Sarah Palin, after being asked how she would handle the current hostilities between the two Koreas, interview on Glenn Beck's radio show, Nov. 24, 2010

8. "Especially within hours of a tragedy unfolding, journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible." --Sarah Palin, defending her fiery campaign rhetoric in the wake of the Arizona shooting massacre by invoking a phrase ("blood libel") that typically refers historically to the alleged murder of Christian babies by Jews, Jan. 12, 2011

9. "We used to hustle over the border for health care we received in Canada. And I think now, isn't that ironic?" --Sarah Palin, admitting that her family used to get treatment in Canada's single-payer health care system, despite having demonized such government-run programs as socialized medicine that will lead to death-panel-like rationing, March 6, 2010

10. "Ohh, good, thank you, yes." --Sarah Palin, after a notorious Canadian prank caller, posing as French President Nicolas Sarkozy, complimented her on the documentary about her life, Hustler's "Nailin Paylin," Nov. 1, 2008 (Read more about the prank call, watch the video and see the transcript)

1. I'll grant you that the Couric interview was very bad. Palin was not prepared for national media, which cuts you no slack if you are a member of the Republican party.

2. She was absolutely correct on that one. All you have to do is read the legislation. Incidentally, she wasn't the only person to point out this fact.

3 & 4. Ditto my comments in 1.

5. Wee-wee'd up is an Obama quote. I don't tweet, so I am not sure what the context was for the other two words, but I believe misunderestimate belongs to Bush, (GW).

6. That's only a partial statement. Although not elegantly put, the entire quote is correct and has since been confirmed by historians.

7. I can't think of a candidate who hasn't found him or herself in this position at one time or another. Campaigning is grueling, they get really tired and simply shoot out the wrong word. Republicans don't get a pass on that either.

8. That term doesn't have only one use.

9. Not familiar with that quote. Please source it.

10. She is far from the first person to be "punked" and won't be the last. Prank calls are not that uncommon. I would recommend more vetting.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 18:06   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...and Cameron, helped by that nice chap Clegg, who came across ever so well on the telly.

The sad Americanisation of British politics is nothing to be proud of.
Please don't lump Cameron in with those two useless clowns, I know he's far from perfect, but those two donkeys left this country in a real state
Old 11-10-2011, 18:29   #35
Give, give, give member

Come on Bullseyebarb, we're still waiting for all the Palinisms, that will convince us of her intellect, and potential as a great leader of men.

As stated earlier, I'm glad someone like Palin inspires you, and a great number of your compatriots.

All she inspires, outsde of the U.S. bubble, is derision, laughter, and at the moment, a sigh of relief.

Still, Mickey Mouse, fast food burgers, and Hollywood films such as Dumb, and Dumber, you may have sewn up.

But when it comes to this world's greatest thinkers, and philosphers, we don't necessarily first think 'America'.

Palin, and her ilk, obviously fills a void, in small, simple minds.

You pays your dollars, and you take your chances that the cretin's not too cretinous.

Old 11-10-2011, 18:40   #36
Give, give, give member

"I love that smell of the emissions!" --Sarah Palin, at a motorcycle rally in Washington, D.C., where she rode in on a Harley, May 29, 2011

"I haven't heard the president state that we're at war. That's why I too am not knowing -- do we use the term intervention? Do we use war? Do we use squirmish? What is it?" --Sarah Palin, on the U.S. and NATO bombing of Libya, March 29, 2011

"I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism. And I have a communications degree." --Sarah Palin, Fox News interview with Sean Hannity, Nov. 22, 2010

"This is Reagan country (applause). Yeah! And perhaps it was destiny that the man who went to California's Eureka College would become so woven within and inter-linked to the Golden State." --Sarah Palin, blundering on Reagan's education while speaking at a fundraiser at California State University-Stanislaus. Eureka College is in Illinois. (June 25, 2010)

"Absolutely not. I think that, if I were to give up and wave a white flag of surrender against some of the political shots that we've taken, that ... that would ... bring this whole ... I'm not doing this for naught." --Sarah Palin, asked about her plans for 2012 and whether she would disappear from the national political scene if she loses, ABC News interview, Oct. 29, 2008

Old 12-10-2011, 11:38   #37
God Member

"How's that hopey-changey stuff workin' out for ya?" Sarah Palin asked the anti-élitist Tea Party élites — those who could pay $549 for a ticket — gathered in suffocating self-righteousness at the Opryland Hotel on the first weekend of February. It was classic Palin, a brilliant line, brilliantly delivered: she does folksy far better than George W. Bush or any of the other Republican focus-group populists ever did. It was the signature line of her speech, which rocked the joint...

...Palin is a big fat target, eminently available for derision. But I will not deride. Because brilliance must be respected, especially when it involves marketing in an era when image almost always passes for substance.

Read more: Sarah Palin Populism: Savvy Speech to Tea Party Movement - TIME
Attached Images
File Type: png 275px-Teaparty.svg.png (49.2 KB, 3 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 12-10-2011 at 11:40.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:12   #38

Quote:
Welcome back, by the way.

We were worried you'd forgotten the combination number, for the lock on your bunker.

Thank you darlin'. But don't expect me to make a habit of it because I'm so busy these days and haven't the time to spare.

By the way, I am not here to defend Mrs. Palin - or anyone else for that matter. Just thought it would be nice to point out the media double standard and perhaps throw in a little context now and again. To that end, I did a little research on the quote you mentioned regarding Palin and Canadian healthcare, which seemed to imply that she, as an adult, had taken her own family there for treatment. In fact, she was a child when her parents sought care in Canada during the 1960's - a time when there was no federal healthcare system in that country. The first such legislation came around 1972. The current system was instituted under the Canada Health Act of 1984. It's likely that Mrs. Palin's parents lived in a rather remote area of the U.S. and it may well have been that the closest medical facilities were across the border.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:20   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Thank you darlin'. But don't expect me to make a habit of it because I'm so busy these days and haven't the time to spare.

By the way, I am not here to defend Mrs. Palin - or anyone else for that matter. Just thought it would be nice to point out the media double standard and perhaps throw in a little context now and again. To that end, I did a little research on the quote you mentioned regarding Palin and Canadian healthcare, which seemed to imply that she, as an adult, had taken her own family there for treatment. In fact, she was a child when her parents sought care in Canada during the 1960's - a time when there was no federal healthcare system in that country. The first such legislation came around 1972. The current system was instituted under the Canada Health Act of 1984. It's likely that Mrs. Palin's parents lived in a rather remote area of the U.S. and it may well have been that the closest medical facilities were across the border.
My, you have been busy.

Now that's as clear as mud, I'm sure we'll all sleep much easier in our beds tonight.

Thank you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..