Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 18:55   #76

Re: Tough Policing

Welcome back Graham. I too heard that the panopticon was about to get the green light and I know there are a few people who don't want it (some of you have made yourself very clear about that) but equally there are a few of us who do. So when some people on this site try to speak for all of us by saying

Quoted from Staggering Man "another wasted load of hard earned cash going on something that the people of accrington dont WANT"

Quoted from Chav1 "i thought p.b had stated that it wasnt going to happen as the majority of people in accy didnt want it"

they are NOT speaking for all of us. Just because those people shout loudest, does not mean that their views are the only ones worth taking notice of.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2005, 19:05   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

undermining people who are working hard and making the effort without yourself getting to know them i know you dont see it that way it seemed to me that was EXACTLY what you were doing to people on accyweb with your( removed) comments about all the racists etc sorry can't quote that word perfect somebdy removed it. and as for undermining if you read all the threads on here you will find praise as well its called CREDIT WERE ITS DUE.
Old 07-05-2005, 20:51   #78
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
undermining people who are working hard and making the effort without yourself getting to know them i know you dont see it that way it seemed to me that was EXACTLY what you were doing to people on accyweb with your( removed) comments about all the racists etc sorry can't quote that word perfect somebdy removed it. and as for undermining if you read all the threads on here you will find praise as well its called CREDIT WERE ITS DUE.
fair comment. I just work hard and want the best. Anything that gets in the way of that I'll question to find out why...

comments were removed to be re-edited with the press reading them I want to be absolutely crystal clear about what I was trying to say. The press spent 2 days tracking me down [London]. They got Jean Battle to come out and make a comment, She said "Graham may have upset someone but he is an honest hard working conscientous councillor who gets to the bottom of things" I said "Any more to the left and I'll have to join the Lib Dems". The LET did not print it possibly because of the undelying race issue. I know [you know] the press would rather not print the views of a racist so are over cautious in these matters.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 21:02   #79
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLass
Welcome back Graham. I too heard that the panopticon was about to get the green light and I know there are a few people who don't want it (some of you have made yourself very clear about that) but equally there are a few of us who do. So when some people on this site try to speak for all of us by saying

Quoted from Staggering Man "another wasted load of hard earned cash going on something that the people of accrington dont WANT"

Quoted from Chav1 "i thought p.b had stated that it wasnt going to happen as the majority of people in accy didnt want it"

they are NOT speaking for all of us. Just because those people shout loudest, does not mean that their views are the only ones worth taking notice of.
It's not just AccyWeb members who have objected to the Panopticon. What about the Observer poll? You can hardly accuse us of being hand in glove with them.

I think you'll find also that most of us are not against the principle of a Panopticon (although the financial aspect is a whole different kettle of fish because it's a case of spend it on this or nothing when overall, countrywide there are far more pressing needs and the frivolous wasting of money seems like a kick in the teeth to underfunded areas) What most of us have been complaining about are the things we've been offered as a panopticon which we simply don't feel are suitable or indeed sensible in the case of the latest High Form with all the nonsense about trenches and 11 ups and downs equating with the 11th battallion.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:45   #80

I too think the ideas have been diluted by the process but there have been a lot of proposals put forward and been rejected because they've been too bold. So now we're left with the least offensive option which is now upsetting people because it's not strong or interesting enough.

As an aside, I was watching the election coverage on Thursday night and they were covering the results from Gateshead and creating a new piece of public art live on air. In the background was the millenium bridge and the sage centre. Two relatively recent investments in that town. Gateshead has turned itself around in the last ten years from being the pits of the earth to being a hugely attractive centre for arts and culture attracting 1,000s of people to visit it each year.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17   #81
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
accuse us of being hand in glove with them.

I think you'll find also that most of us are not against the principle of a Panopticon
I think i suggested siting it on Hameldon on the basis few people go up there so it will attract them, its still within the regional park and Accrington area so we would get funding and Gayle Knight agreed with me
Old 08-05-2005, 14:43   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
I think i suggested siting it on Hameldon on the basis few people go up there so it will attract them, its still within the regional park and Accrington area so we would get funding and Gayle Knight agreed with me

What I said was - yes Hameldon hill is still within the regional park so yes the Panopticon if sited on Hameldon would still be eligible for funding. But I didn't agree with you that this was the right course of action. Please don't misrepresent what I have said as it implies that I would prefer a different site which is not the case.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 14:53   #83
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Gateshead has turned itself around in the last ten years from being the pits of the earth to being a hugely attractive centre for arts and culture attracting 1,000s of people to visit it each year.
I think the visitors to Gateshead might have more to do with the Metro Centre and the Baltic Centre than the Angel of the North or the Millenium Bridge. We just don't have anything to compare.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 15:04   #84
Full Member+

Talking Re: Tough Policing

OOps... consider myself suitable admonished
Old 08-05-2005, 15:06   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think the visitors to Gateshead might have more to do with the Metro Centre and the Baltic Centre than the Angel of the North or the Millenium Bridge. We just don't have anything to compare.
No, not yet but regeneration has to start somewhere. No one is claiming that one piece of public art is the be all and end all of regeneration - it is only a start. Yes, we need to sort out the shops, dirty streets and all the other gumf as well but if we can just show that we're forward thinking, interested in developing the area and want something nicer for our town it will start to come.

10 years ago when the Angel of the North was suggested it was met with all sorts of objections but a few people had the vision for the town and they were strong enough to carry the uncertain through. Now, 10 years later they have all the other stuff that they wanted - good shops, theatres, nice streets and PRIDE!
Old 08-05-2005, 15:19   #86
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
10 years ago when the Angel of the North was suggested it was met with all sorts of objections but a few people had the vision for the town and they were strong enough to carry the uncertain through. Now, 10 years later they have all the other stuff that they wanted - good shops, theatres, nice streets and PRIDE!
You forgot one thing Purplelass, their nationwide reputation for under-age binge drinking, sex in public, gang fights with weapons etc.

The streets may be nice during the day (and thats a matter of opinion) but the whole area is a no-go area at night.........so much for pride!
Old 08-05-2005, 15:55   #87
I am Band

Question Re: Tough Policing

Quote:
Do you think that our local heroes, bless 'em, the poor little mis-understood darlings, have any local pride?
Last summer the scrotes burnt down the bandstand in Oakhill park. Last month, in the very same park, they sprayed aerosol and desecrated the war memorial in memory of people that layed down their lives for this country. A most heinous crime, in my book!
Now what makes you think that any objet d'art, however substantially it is built, will not come under constant attack from our collection of delinquents?

The only reason that the Angel of the North is still standing is because it is constructed from iron of a similar guage to battle-ship plate. The only weapon you could possibly attack it with is a gas axe, and who would want to lug an oxy-acetelene set up that hill that the Angel stands atop?

ALL THIS IS THREAD-ROT.
We should be debating this in the pan-whatever thread, not the Tough Policing thread.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 08-05-2005 at 16:00.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 16:07   #88
God Member

I think Graham needs to launch a hard-hitting crackdown right here on the Accy Web. It looks like someone has just sneaked in and pinched all his Ackers. He's nowt left, poor lad.
Come on - own up! Who is responsible for this dastardly deed?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 11-05-2005 at 16:11.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 16:44   #89
Senior Member+

Hmm,I wonder who it could be,is there a clue in your new description of yourself there Tea???
Old 11-05-2005, 16:46   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Hmm,I wonder who it could be,is there a clue in your new description of yourself there Tea???
What are you implying, Lyndsay?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..