Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2012, 15:57   #46
Super Moderator

Re: Two Policewomen killed.

All the arguments about restoring the death penalty, genuine life sentences, harsher prison conditions are academic, in my view. The ECHR and/or the EU would never allow any of these things and our government would supinely accept their decree, as they have in so many other instances. As Cashy says, it's never going to happen.
Old 19-09-2012, 17:25   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Margaret while I respect your views and see what you mean you would not think the same if you were on the inside with no prospect of release.

For many years I visited such a person in prisons large and small, harsh and not so harsh, and received regular correspondence from him in which a lot more was said than at the visits. In the end he did away with himself not because of his crime but because of his situation. I don't know the exact nature of his crime and neither does Richard but he was Richard's best friend at school. They drifted apart when Richard moved but when Richard heard about it he started visiting, this was before I met Richard.
Sorry Susie, I've no sympathy for anybody who gets banged up for any reason, especially those that think its a good idea to take away somebody else's life. If they can't do the time then don't commit the crime, end of story
Old 19-09-2012, 17:28   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
All the arguments about restoring the death penalty, genuine life sentences, harsher prison conditions are academic, in my view. The ECHR and/or the EU would never allow any of these things and our government would supinely accept their decree, as they have in so many other instances. As Cashy says, it's never going to happen.
Ya and the fate of 60 million people is decided by 650 people who are elected to look after OUR affairs, what a flaming joke that is
Old 19-09-2012, 17:49   #49
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya and the fate of 60 million people is decided by 650 people who are elected to look after OUR affairs, what a flaming joke that is
The self interest of our political (nonentities) leaders has always taken precedence over the wishes of the electorate once they are esconced in the trappings of Westminster with all it's associated perks. The yoke of Brussels only adds to the impotence that is currently being demonstrated by the empty-headed coalition government that should have been choked at birth. There is more chance of them setting up a colony on the moon than their abiding by the wishes of those who put them into power.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..