Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2007, 14:47   #16

Re: Urban Exploration craze

Ive just had a look at the photos on 28DL and they look really kewl. They broke into Blackburn hospital dint they... i think it is good what they are doing but wont do it my self. some really interesting pics that should not be left hidden!

I do hope they are as safe as possible tho!!
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2007, 15:12   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAlec View Post
Ive just had a look at the photos on 28DL and they look really kewl. They broke into Blackburn hospital dint they... i think it is good what they are doing but wont do it my self. some really interesting pics that should not be left hidden!

I do hope they are as safe as possible tho!!
Why do you think "it is good what they are doing"?
What purpose does it serve?(other than their own cheap thrill by endangering themselves)
Once entry has been made it provides an easier access for persons who want to rob a building of its architectural features for profit.

Ps I dont think your grandad Frank would let you do it

Last edited by MargaretR; 27-10-2007 at 15:15.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 15:34   #18
Resting in peace

I'm all for preserving these memories, but not in a 'cowboy' fashion. Organised parties follwing health and safety checks is plain common sense, lone rangers and small unauthorised posse's are illegal and downright dangerous!
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 17:26   #19
Resident Waffler

Rob a building of its architectural features for profit? Aren't these places just going to be demolished? Then the architectural features will be lost forever. What they are doing is making a pictorial record of them. Now I'm not saying that it's sensible and it certainly isn't something kids should be encouraged to do but as far as I can see it isn't being done by kids.

On the other hand I recall a member of this website recalling when he as a kid broke into the old Hippodrome when it was derelict so can't say there's anything much new under the sun.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 17:47   #20

Me and a few mates used to go exploring in the old cinema on broadway before it's demolition, it was enormous!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 18:02   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Rob a building of its architectural features for profit? Aren't these places just going to be demolished? Then the architectural features will be lost forever. What they are doing is making a pictorial record of them. Now I'm not saying that it's sensible and it certainly isn't something kids should be encouraged to do but as far as I can see it isn't being done by kids.

On the other hand I recall a member of this website recalling when he as a kid broke into the old Hippodrome when it was derelict so can't say there's anything much new under the sun.
When an owner of a building calls in a demolition contractor the cost will depend on the amount of salvageable items that contractor sees as saleable.
You only need to google 'architectural salvage' to find out what big business this is and that the minimum amount will end up crushed and not reusable/resalable.
The building no matter how delelict, belongs to somebody and whatever its worth might be -it should not be entered by persons out of curiosity, because a way in will then be available to salvage thieves.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 22:05   #22
Resident Waffler

I wonder how much was salvaged from the old Sacred Heart?

Old 27-10-2007, 23:56   #23
Resting in peace

Quote:
Just digressing a little willow, when they had the rooftop riots at Strangeways Prison, a local accy based 'roof bandit' had 3 skips in the street to catch the slates, thirty bob each.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 00:35   #24
Resident Waffler

Now that's called enterprise.

Old 28-10-2007, 00:47   #25
God Member

Quote:
My guess is that the vast majority of that beautiful church was sold of to the good old US of A.
Old 28-10-2007, 08:58   #26

I don't have any time for salvage companies, they could put an orcestra to shame with the amount of fiddles they have going...
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 18:50   #27
God Member

True urban explorers don't 'break in', take nothing, damage nothing, leave nothing.
This is one i go on
Broken Britain - Urban Exploration Forum - :: Index
It isn't necessary to gain unauthorised entry to explore. It's more fun if you aren't chaperoned about and can explore freely and take pics freely but isn't necessary.
It's not illegal, it's a civil matter. Unless damage is done the police don't want to get involved.
Urbex takes photos of building that will or have been demolished, some of which won't be recorded by proper historians. Luckily the ones here that I refer to will be. We are lucky in that we probably have more listed buildings here than any other town of it's size and what we have lost is carefully recorded. Some towns aren't as lucky.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 19:03   #28
Junior Member+

Sorry to go gravedigging and drag up an oldish thread.

Let's kill some popular misconceptions, no doubt provoked by an hysterical local media looking for a story, and a badly researched one at that.

Urban Exploration is NOT, repeat NOT about breaking into buildings. As has been pointed out, that's a criminal offence, as is going equipped to break and enter, i.e. if you were found trespassing by a police officer, and you had equipment that he suspected you used to enter (even if you just walked through the door), he would have reasonable grounds for arrest. A policeman can ask you to leave and possibly arrest you, but couldn't charge you.

Trespass is a civil offence, except on certain properties where it becomes a criminal offence - e.g. government, military, nuclear installations and also the railway.

Don't always presume sites are entered without permission. I went into Accy Conny Club - I went though a window (although later I realised the fire exits were open). Would I have got permission? I doubt it. I recently went round the abandoned Chatterley Whitfield Colliery on a rare open day, surrounded by stewards and miles of Herras fencing. I also went to see the mill engine at Grane Mill, Haslingden which isn't open to the public, as I asked the owner.

Yes, some of the places I go I shouldn't be. Are the owners likely to give a damn? In most instances, no, or they'd secure the sites and / or put security on. Do I know what I'm doing? More so than the scally's who try to set fire to these places, or break in to drink and do drugs, and light fires. Does this make it right or am I defending the indefensible? You decide.

Why do I do it? Primarily because I'm interested in history, architecture and photography. Sure, I take a risk, going into derelict buildings with costly photographic equipment, but I take steps to minimise risk. I'm not completely daft.

Oh, one final thought before you cast judgement, if I hadn't have gone into Accy Conny Club, the Observer wouldn't have seen my pictures, and it'd still be frequented by the scally's.

Over to you....

Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 04:35   #29
God Member

I've got 2 questions:

1) Where is Accy Con Club?
2) If this hobby done legit then I see no problem, but why would anyone condone someone wandering onto someones property for the sake of taking photographs, regardless of it being due for demolition or not?

If you ask permission and you get it, then thats great. But if you dont, and you go onto land that isn't yours, then you should be seen to be committing an unlawful act regardless of how innocent the intention may be.

Reasonings like wanting to take photographs of the interior might seem innocent and reasonable enough, but if you allowed for reasonings like that then people would take advantage. As an example, and this is my viewpoint, if its innocent to go on someones property without permission and take photographs, then it'd be equally fair for a homeless person to enter your property for the sake of being warm, which would be an absurd ruling in the courts. Trespass in no situation should ever be condoned, nor should it ever be expected to be condoned in the court in my opnion. As far as I was aware, trespass is associated with both criminal and civil procedures.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 07:13   #30
Resident Waffler

1) Accy Con Club is on Cannon Street - the big building on the side opposite the church. Was it called Churchills in latter years?

2) People already do that - it's called squatting.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..