Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 17:15   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Urban Exploration craze

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post

If you ask permission and you get it, then thats great. But if you dont, and you go onto land that isn't yours, then you should be seen to be committing an unlawful act regardless of how innocent the intention may be.

Reasonings like wanting to take photographs of the interior might seem innocent and reasonable enough, but if you allowed for reasonings like that then people would take advantage. As an example, and this is my viewpoint, if its innocent to go on someones property without permission and take photographs, then it'd be equally fair for a homeless person to enter your property for the sake of being warm, which would be an absurd ruling in the courts. Trespass in no situation should ever be condoned, nor should it ever be expected to be condoned in the court in my opnion. As far as I was aware, trespass is associated with both criminal and civil procedures.
As willowthwhisp pointed out, people do go into buildings to keep warm, it's squating. I don't know the legal standpoint on that, I own my own warm house, fully locked and alarmed.

Trespass is a criminal offence on certain properties, not all, as I outlined above. If you force access (something I've never done), then it becomes breaking and entering, which is a criminal offence. That's a fact, try and prove me wrong if you wish. I wouldn't even contemplate breaking into somewhere, but there again I don't need to, there are just so many abandoned buildings with smashed doors, windows and fences.

I appreciate your viewpoint, the ethics of Urban Exploration differ between those who do it and those who don't.
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2007, 17:20   #32
God Member

Quote:
AndymOh, one final thought before you cast judgement, if I hadn't have gone into Accy Conny Club, the Observer wouldn't have seen my pictures, and it'd still be frequented by the scally's.
Well they have boarded the access up but not much being done about the window in the ballroom which has been missing for nearly twelve months. Is it being left like that so the building will be beyond saving?
Old 14-11-2007, 17:42   #33
Junior Member+

That has been suggested on another thread here, yes..............
Old 15-11-2007, 23:10   #34
God Member

you can squat in unoccupied property, but not in occupied property as far as i know.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 07:20   #35
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
you can squat in unoccupied property, but not in occupied property as far as i know.
Precisely - and the Urban Explorers are exploring unoccupied property.

Your point is?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 10:52   #36
Senior Member+

Willow i suggest you take a look at 28days later.
They go onto unoccupied and occupied properties e.g William Blythes.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 11:09   #37
Resident Waffler

What's the point of going into the occupied properties? They can't be doing that with the reason of capturing the image for posterity before it gets demolished. That MUST be breaking and entering which is different to what Andym is talking about. I think there are two distinctly different subjects here.

Old 16-11-2007, 11:25   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
Trespass is a criminal offence on certain properties, not all, as I outlined above. If you force access (something I've never done), then it becomes breaking and entering, which is a criminal offence. That's a fact, try and prove me wrong if you wish. I wouldn't even contemplate breaking into somewhere, but there again I don't need to, there are just so many abandoned buildings with smashed doors, windows and fences.

I appreciate your viewpoint, the ethics of Urban Exploration differ between those who do it and those who don't.
There is something he also said
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 15:16   #39
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
What's the point of going into the occupied properties? They can't be doing that with the reason of capturing the image for posterity before it gets demolished. That MUST be breaking and entering which is different to what Andym is talking about. I think there are two distinctly different subjects here.
From the people I know who go and climb tower cranes and do what is known as 'infiltration', e.g. finding a way into the Coronation Street set, or the Big Brother set, it's more a case of evading security, than breaking into things. Not something I'm into myself mind, but I'm not into it for the adrenaline.
Old 16-11-2007, 15:27   #40
Resident Waffler

Well I can't say I approve of infiltrating - not unless the thing that is being infiltrated has some sinister overtones that are being hidden from the public but even so I think that's dangerous ground and should be left to people like Roger Cook.

Going into abandoned buildings and filming them is a different thing. Could be dangerous but that's up to the person doing it to weigh up the risks involved. I'm a curious sort of person so seeing what's inside some old abandoned buildings intrigues me. I know it's not the same thing but we jumped at the chance of having a look round the Winter Gardens in Morecambe which is hopefully going to be fully restored one day. Seeing it in its present form was sad but fascinating too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..