Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2007, 19:10   #16
God Member

Re: US Politics, great bumper sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Congressman Paul, (Texas), ran for president once before - as a Libertarian - and his views remain libertarian, despite the fact that he has been repeatedly elected as a Republican congressman for many years now.

On domestic policy, he's pretty much on the money......but his foreign policy isn't going to cut it.....especially in this day and age. Yes, he's raised lots of money on the internet and his supporters are extremely vocal. However, his poll numbers remain exceedingly weak. Of course, as far as I am concerned, the only polling that really counts is when people actually go to the ballot box and cast their votes. We'll have a much clearer picture in a couple of months as to who the nominees of each party will be.
I think there will be a surprise come new Hampshire, the polls ain't representative for various reasons I dont think.
Old 23-12-2007, 19:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I think there will be a surprise come new Hampshire, the polls ain't representative for various reasons I dont think.
Well, let's see what the Live Free or Die state tells us, shall we? I am hoping for some surprises myself. Will check back with you then, kiddo.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2007, 17:33   #18
God Member

Quote:
Texans have a way of getting straight to the point......and frequently do so with humor. If you believe folks from the Lone Star State are the only ones who feel this way about Her Highness, better think again.

We aren't voting for racial/gender quotas. Americans like to connect with a candidate. The more they see and hear Hillary, the less they like her.
As usual, I couldn't disagree more .... but it is Christmas; so, from a very cold and very white north, from my home to yours, I would like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year/Joyeux Noel et une nouvelle annee heureuse.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 06:44   #19
God Member

Quote:
Well, let's see what the Live Free or Die state tells us, shall we? I am hoping for some surprises myself. Will check back with you then, kiddo.
Just finished watching the Nevada and South Carolina caucus and primary was it? Anyway..

As it stands Hilary and Obama are still doing well for the Democrats, I wonder if Hilary can keep the momentum going for Super Tuesday?

As for the Republicans its any mans go! Mccain always seems to do well, and Romney's money is helping him campaign hard, especially in states where others have given less resources.

Ron Paul was did ok in Iowa/New Hampshire but in Nevada he polled second. I think its an ABSOLUTE TRAVESTY that the major news channels are just trying to completely blank him out. I watched a clip on fox where they just mentioned everyone except him even though he was currently in 2nd place as the counts were coming in.

The media have so much power, I just hope Paul can get his message out. Have you seem much of him on the news to say hes been ahead of Guliani in every single state?
Old 20-01-2008, 14:39   #20
God Member

I saw a newspaper billboard a week ago with the headline "Hillary is Dead". All excited, I rushed down the pub to raise a toast to Mrs Clinton's assassin where I was informed it was Sir Edmund Hillary who had died.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 14:47   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I saw a newspaper billboard a week ago with the headline "Hillary is Dead". All excited, I rushed down the pub to raise a toast to Mrs Clinton's assassin where I was informed it was Sir Edmund Hillary who had died.
dont think you will be doing any toasting T. a physcic on jules holland new years eve said she was the best bet of the year.
Old 20-01-2008, 14:55   #22
God Member

I really don't know who's worst -her or Obama, who after a few slips in the polls has started to play the race card. No surprise really, considering that half of his family are currently engaged in Africa's latest round of tribal chop-chop. Maybe he should sod off to Kenya - hopefully taking Mrs Clinton with him - because god help America if either of these jokers are elected president.

Personally, I'm putting my money on 'ol oven chips.
Old 20-01-2008, 14:57   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I really don't know who's worst -her or Obama, who after a few slips in the polls has started to play the race card. No surprise really, considering that half of his family are currently engaged in Africa's latest round of tribal chop-chop. Maybe he should sod off to Kenya - hopefully taking Mrs Clinton with him - because god help America if either of these jokers are elected president.

Personally, I'm putting my money on 'ol oven chips.
dont think it really matters, theres a large gap between American Presidents and Common Sense n Honesty, even bigger than our clowns.
Old 20-01-2008, 15:06   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
dont think it really matters, theres a large gap between American Presidents and Common Sense n Honesty, even bigger than our clowns.
Yeah, I do pity the poor bu**ars. Who are this year's Presidential hopefuls? A couple of Bible Bashers, some bloke who was an extra in the US version of Corrie, an ex-philandering mayor, another who looks like a dodgy Brixton muggar and finally one whose only claim is that her husband once mucked up the job. If that's the reality, no wonder the American public spends half it's time in Disneyland.
Old 20-01-2008, 16:56   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Look at Ron Paul on youtube, I'm sure you will be really surprised. He actually has common sense and has a 20 year voting record in the House of Representatives that backs it all up.

He isn't getting airtime because hes trying to break the system of corporations having power and influence on the federal government.
Old 21-01-2008, 00:32   #26
God Member

this election is turning nasty , a new perfume from Hillary

tottally agree , Ron Paul is being ignored by the media .......I wonder why
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 17:46   #27
Yank in King Art's Court!

Although I don't agree with Ron Paul, he is certainly being shafted by our ingloirious media! Tealeaf, LOVE you're thoughts on Hillarious Clinton! What a huge joke her canadacy is.

I'm personally pulling for McCain or Romney as the best chances to beat either Islamma Obama or Bill's Girl! Think they are the best choices to get America going in the right direction.

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 23:37   #28
God Member

Can't agree with McCain, his 'we'll stay in Iraq for 100 years if we have to' just made me cringe. Fair enough if you don't agree with Ron Paul though. Not living in America I can't give just clause for a constitutionalist, but his ideas seem right, and his logic of looking at why 9/11 happened, that America shouldn't be the policeman of the world, really resonates with me.

Either way, as much as I disagree with McCain, if he wasn't getting coverage by the media like Ron Paul isn't, I would certainly think that was wrong.
Old 22-01-2008, 01:04   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Can't agree with McCain, his 'we'll stay in Iraq for 100 years if we have to' just made me cringe. Fair enough if you don't agree with Ron Paul though. Not living in America I can't give just clause for a constitutionalist, but his ideas seem right, and his logic of looking at why 9/11 happened, that America shouldn't be the policeman of the world, really resonates with me.

Either way, as much as I disagree with McCain, if he wasn't getting coverage by the media like Ron Paul isn't, I would certainly think that was wrong.
Cyfr, this is why I have changed my political registration , the primary system in California is a bit different to other States, here you have to 'register' your political affiliation to be allowed to vote in that parties primary , (similar to only members of the local labour or conservative party being allowed to vote for the selection of a parliamentary candidate ) .
Up to now I have allways been registered as an independant with no party affiliation , this has allowed me to vote in the 'general' elections but not in the primaries , it didn't make much difference since I voted Ralph Nader in the last couple of elections , but this time I have registered Republican just for the oppertunity by voting for Ron Paul to send a message to all the other candidates that I am fed up with the 'status quo' , the guy hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell , but if it wakes other folks up thats all I want .
The idea of the Presidency going to Clinton is totally abhorrent to me ,all it signifys to me is we have 'Royal' families , imagine the following ....
Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Clinton ,Clinton (incumbents rarely get defeated, only one this/last centuary (1900s)was President Carter) that means the Presidency has been held by two families for 28 years ....bit like England in the 14th centuary and the houses of York and Lancaster.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 02:59   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Cyfr, this is why I have changed my political registration , the primary system in California is a bit different to other States, here you have to 'register' your political affiliation to be allowed to vote in that parties primary , (similar to only members of the local labour or conservative party being allowed to vote for the selection of a parliamentary candidate ) .
Up to now I have allways been registered as an independant with no party affiliation , this has allowed me to vote in the 'general' elections but not in the primaries , it didn't make much difference since I voted Ralph Nader in the last couple of elections , but this time I have registered Republican just for the oppertunity by voting for Ron Paul to send a message to all the other candidates that I am fed up with the 'status quo' , the guy hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell , but if it wakes other folks up thats all I want .
The idea of the Presidency going to Clinton is totally abhorrent to me ,all it signifys to me is we have 'Royal' families , imagine the following ....
Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Clinton ,Clinton (incumbents rarely get defeated, only one this/last centuary (1900s)was President Carter) that means the Presidency has been held by two families for 28 years ....bit like England in the 14th centuary and the houses of York and Lancaster.
Agree with you, he probably doesn't have a chance because unfortunately the media are deciding the election eight months ahead of time. Thankfully it is inspiring so many people to go out on the streets and get Ron Pauls message out, so if he doesn't get in I would hope the 'Ron Paul Revolution' would happen, from the grassroots.

Having poured over much of the Constitution and the American system in general, I have so much respect for the founding fathers. I might not agree with everything such as the right to bear arms, but I can see where they are getting at. They don't want an arbitrary power to be formed, for the grassroots should oppose it.

I had to study John Locke for a presentation and essay on my course, much of what he wrote was taken and placed into the Constitution. Most of it I completely adhere to, the right to life, liberty and property is one of his most important points. Liberty in both America and the UK is being slowly drained away...

Edit: for anyone wondering who this Ron Paul fella is, here is one of hundreds of videos on youtube:

Last edited by andrewb; 22-01-2008 at 03:03.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..