Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2008, 15:39   #31
God Member

Re: US Politics, great bumper sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Clinton ,Clinton (incumbents rarely get defeated, only one this/last centuary (1900s)was President Carter) that means the Presidency has been held by two families for 28 years ....bit like England in the 14th centuary and the houses of York and Lancaster.
Err.....Oh dear...Bush senior only did one term before his defeat by Clinton in 1992. That makes two incumbents defeated.

It's nice to have us Limeys teaching the Yanks their history.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2008, 17:06   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Err.....Oh dear...Bush senior only did one term before his defeat by Clinton in 1992. That makes two incumbents defeated.

It's nice to have us Limeys teaching the Yanks their history.
Daddy Bush starts the list, therefore his list is correct.

'Nurse, more medication for Teabag in ward 3.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 17:13   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Daddy Bush starts the list, therefore his list is correct.

'Nurse, more medication for Teabag in ward 3.'
You illiterate plonker. This is what our friend from across the pond wrote:

"incumbents rarely get defeated, only one this/last centuary (1900s)was President Carter"

Carter defeated; Bush defeated. By my maths,that makes two, not one. I suggest you take the medication. Could I recommend Cyanide?
Old 22-01-2008, 17:24   #34
Give, give, give member

There were actually five Presidents who defeated incumbents in the twentieth century.

Woodrow Wilson - defeated Howard Taft in 1912.
Franklin Roosevelt - defeated Herbert Hoover in 1932.
Jimmy Carter - defeated Gerald Ford in 1976.
Ronald Reagan - defeated Jimmy Carter in 1980.
Bill Clinton - defeated George Bush in 1992.

Old 22-01-2008, 17:33   #35
God Member

Quote:
There were actually five Presidents who defeated incumbents in the twentieth century.

Woodrow Wilson - defeated Howard Taft in 1912.
Franklin Roosevelt - defeated Herbert Hoover in 1932.
Jimmy Carter - defeated Gerald Ford in 1976.
Ronald Reagan - defeated Jimmy Carter in 1980.
Bill Clinton - defeated George Bush in 1992.

Exactly. Except I could not be bothered with the first part of the 20th century. Anyway, Ford only partially counts because he was never elected in the first instance.
Old 22-01-2008, 17:37   #36
Give, give, give member

This site is full of use(less)ful information re: the Presidents of the United States.

US Presidents: Lists and Records

First a list of the political dynasties who have served as President.

Presidents related to earlier presidents
  • James Madison: half first cousin twice removed of George Washington
  • John Quincy Adams: son of John Adams
  • Zachary Taylor: second cousin of James Madison
  • Grover Cleveland: sixth cousin once removed of Ulysses Grant
  • Benjamin Harrison: grandson of William Henry Harrison
  • Theodore Roosevelt: third cousin twice removed of Martin Van Buren
  • Franklin Roosevelt: fourth cousin once removed of Ulysses Grant, fourth cousin three times removed of Zachary Taylor, fifth cousin of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Harry Truman: great-great-great nephew of John Tyler
  • Richard Nixon: seventh cousin twice removed of William Taft, eighth cousin once removed of Herbert Hoover
  • George Bush: fifth cousin four times removed of Franklin Pierce, seventh cousin three times removed of Theodore Roosevelt, seventh cousin four times removed of Abraham Lincoln, eleventh cousin once removed of Gerald Ford
  • George W. Bush: son of George Bush
Secondly, Barak Obama won't be the first black President, if elected, as apparently there have been five black Presidents before him.

African-American Presidents

Note: Several presidents were allegedly of mixed European and African ancestry, which by U.S. reckoning would designate them as African-American. See The Five Negro Presidents by J.A. Rogers and Six Black Presidents: Black Blood, White Masks by Auset Bakhufu.
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Andrew Jackson
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Warren Harding
  • Dwight Eisenhower

Old 22-01-2008, 17:39   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Exactly. Except I could not be bothered with the first part of the 20th century. Anyway, Ford only partially counts because he was never elected in the first instance.

The Devil is in the detail.

Probably why I always beat you in the quiz.

Old 22-01-2008, 17:44   #38
God Member

Did you know that Bill Clinton took his surname from his stepfather? His actual father's surname was Blythe. His pollution of American politics appears just as great as his namesake's - or possibly relatives -pollution of Church.
Old 22-01-2008, 17:47   #39
God Member

Quote:
The Devil is in the detail.

Probably why I always beat you in the quiz.
The difference between me and you is that if I don't know the answer I don't bother googling for one
Old 22-01-2008, 19:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Ron Paul was did ok in Iowa/New Hampshire but in Nevada he polled second. I think its an ABSOLUTE TRAVESTY that the major news channels are just trying to completely blank him out. I watched a clip on fox where they just mentioned everyone except him even though he was currently in 2nd place as the counts were coming in.

The media have so much power, I just hope Paul can get his message out. Have you seem much of him on the news to say hes been ahead of Guliani in every single state?
Agree with you 100% on the media. They try as hard as they can to influence the outcome of elections. Our job is to thwart them at every turn. There is far too much polling going on. I'd like to see what would happen if there wasn't any. Ron Paul has certainly been given the short end of the media stick.....however, I have heard him frequently on radio talk shows so he is getting his message out as best he can. But many of his supporters are really rabid and just a little nuts. They behave badly - using profanity and harrassing people who disagree with their point of view. This does not help their candidate in the long run. They also go into overdrive on text message polling - which makes it appear that Dr. Paul is much higher in the ratings than he actually is.

Florida will be the first closed primary. No crossover voting. So, it should be interesting.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 19:56   #41

Quote:
I really don't know who's worst -her or Obama, who after a few slips in the polls has started to play the race card. No surprise really, considering that half of his family are currently engaged in Africa's latest round of tribal chop-chop. Maybe he should sod off to Kenya - hopefully taking Mrs Clinton with him - because god help America if either of these jokers are elected president.

Personally, I'm putting my money on 'ol oven chips.
Democrats always play the race card. However, in this case, it is the Clintons not Senator Obama who are playing it. It's getting really ugly and is not going over well with most black Americans. Unlike the Clintons, Senator Obama has class and is a likeable and optimistic person. Policy wise, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both would be very bad news for America. Still, if Barak Obama could break the death grip the Clintons have had on the Democrat Party for the past 17 years, I for one would be very happy. I believe Her Highness will get the nomination, though. She has the vote of single women who are looking for "Nanny" to take care of them. Also a sizeable portion of Hispanics.

'Ol oven chips?
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 20:09   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
'Ol oven chips?
I'm lost on this as well , who's "ol oven chips' ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 00:55   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Democrats always play the race card. However, in this case, it is the Clintons not Senator Obama who are playing it. It's getting really ugly and is not going over well with most black Americans. Unlike the Clintons, Senator Obama has class and is a likeable and optimistic person. Policy wise, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both would be very bad news for America. Still, if Barak Obama could break the death grip the Clintons have had on the Democrat Party for the past 17 years, I for one would be very happy. I believe Her Highness will get the nomination, though. She has the vote of single women who are looking for "Nanny" to take care of them. Also a sizeable portion of Hispanics.

'Ol oven chips?

Not to mention a large proportion of super delegates..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..