Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 02:50   #31
land of hope and glory

Re: War Of The Worlds!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
getting flashed at 35mph is pointless you cant see a thing
you cant see jack when she is under the dash board...............
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2005, 10:02   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
A little over 35 would have been around 39 mph but no faster. If they got me it’s deserved.
If it flashed you were over the limit, they still flash when they have no film in so just hope this was the case.
FYI camera's in a 30 zone are set at capturing speeds above 35mph, worked out at speed limit +2mph +10% of speed limit
46 in a 40 zone
57 in a 50 zone
68 in a 60 zone
79 in a 70 zone

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:22   #33
Member.

Thanks for that KSH, I was flashed in Preston last year and that had no film/camera in it. I don’t mind been done for it I was over the limit. It was the surprise of the flash?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:55   #34
God Member

anyone think that the flash could be dangerous and distracting???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 16:52   #35
I am Banned

i think the cameras them selves are dangerous because people see them and slam the brakes on to avoid the fine so the poor ****** behind goes smack into the back of them ( yes i kow they shouldnt be speeding anyway but almost everyone does )

i agree with speed cameras but what i diagree with is where they are located they should only be in residential areas and outside schools etc

Last edited by chav1; 09-07-2005 at 16:57.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:17   #36

Sounds good is it ok for kids aged 9.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:21   #37
God Member

there is no blood and gore it's more tense than scary, I suppose it would depend on the 9 year old

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:27   #38

he loves harry potter and the other big one can't remember its name , very violent
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35   #39
God Member

I think he would prob be fine then but don't come back to me if he isn't!!!

Old 11-07-2005, 11:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Ok, just finished listening to Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds. I last heard it in 1982 and I remembered it all of it like it was yesterday, brilliant. I think I’ll go and see the film over the weekend. Cheers folks.
I have the CD also Doug, it really is tremedous and the naration by Richard Burton (what a fabulous speaking voice) is pretty true to the original book. Of course, I'm sure the Tom Cruise film is good, but how they have the cheek to call this, or the earlier version with Gene Barry "War of the Worlds" is beyond me, as neither bear any real relation to the book. For one thing, the original story is set in England not America.

"........and slowly, but surely, they drew their plans against us!" 'Da-Da-Da' - riviting stuff!

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:07   #41
I am Banned

the film was goodish but i felt let down a little

there were more product placements than action scenes but thets typical of speilberg films

a 9 year old with a vivid imagination may well not sleep too well after watching this as although there were no realy gorey scenes it did show the aliens shredding human bodies and spraying them like fertilizer and people getting vaporized as they ran away screaming

the certification is a 12a i think so its upto each parent i suppose as to how they think their kids will handle it

Last edited by chav1; 11-07-2005 at 12:08.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:08   #42

cheers Chav i will bear that in mind.........
Old 11-07-2005, 13:23   #43
Resident Waffler

I was quite disappointed in it. The film I mean.

There were a lot of bits just too far fetched to accept like the boot behind the mirror bit and I was almost amused by the thingy looking at itself as if it was just going to say "Who's a pretty boy then?"

How come Tom Cruise was the only person who thought of replacing the solenoid in the vehicles?

Why were they "running away" towards the tripods when his son went off with the army?

How come those army trucks all came back on fire and people got vapourised but the lad ended up at Grandma's house?

Wasn't one of the scenes where they got sucked up inside a tripod a direct "lift" from Stargate SG1?

Boy those soldiers were strong to hold back all those surging crowds at the ferry.

Wasn't it odd how he just happened to bump onto an old friend in such a vast crowd and then she didn't make it onto the ferry?

OK as you can probably guess I am a great fan of the book and this was nothing like the book.

Incidentally, I'm female and I'm not afraid of spiders unles they are very large and deadly poisonous.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 13:29   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Wasn't one of the scenes where they got sucked up inside a tripod a direct "lift" from Stargate SG1?

no in SG1 they use rings that beam people upto space ships
Old 11-07-2005, 13:36   #45
Member.

It would have been nice in opinion to have the film follow the original book and at least paid some tribute to the Jeff Wayne sound track. I haven’t seen it yet but I will do this week.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..