Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2010, 09:45   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Whats happened to our Mayor and Mayoress?

There is a clear political agenda behind this thread. Until recently, the mayoralty was always above politics, and some had a higher profile than others, depending on how much they courted the local press. It wasn't a question of how hard they were working, as there is inevitably a full diary for them.

What we are seeing here is the inevitable result of politicising the post.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2010, 09:47   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I think it's just the present leader thinking what he might do after next May.I believe that he may well also be thinking about more of a role at County Hall. Whether the Tories at County Hall are thinking along the same lines I wouldn't know

An elected Mayor was talked about before, and we canvassed opinion on whether there would be any support for such a move. There wasn't any support for the idea then, and I would be surprised if there was now.
Your comments are noted Robert oops sorry Bernard
Old 23-10-2010, 14:00   #33
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Sorry Clare but I don't agree with that.
If people don't see them in the local rag they will start to think they do nothing and are a waste of money.
Which might be why this thread was started.
Peter wading in to open every last thing in Hyndburn when it should be the Mayor's job isn't really helping matters.

The Civic Sunday parade recently was a celebration of the position of Mayor and very well hosted by Cllr Malcolm Pritchard and his wife. The lack of the Leader of the Council at the event made it a non-political event which ended up in cross-party members simply enjoy each other's company.

An elected Mayor would be a costly move for the borough and quite unnecessary although I imagine the proposed salary would be in the region of £30k.....

Mind you, having said that maybe it would show Peter Britcliffe that his popularity isn't quite what he imagines it to be but it would involve stepping down as a councillor first.

Bit of a gamble.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 15:09   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Peter wading in to open every last thing in Hyndburn when it should be the Mayor's job isn't really helping matters.

The Civic Sunday parade recently was a celebration of the position of Mayor and very well hosted by Cllr Malcolm Pritchard and his wife. The lack of the Leader of the Council at the event made it a non-political event which ended up in cross-party members simply enjoy each other's company.

An elected Mayor would be a costly move for the borough and quite unnecessary although I imagine the proposed salary would be in the region of £30k.....

Mind you, having said that maybe it would show Peter Britcliffe that his popularity isn't quite what he imagines it to be but it would involve stepping down as a councillor first.

Bit of a gamble.
A salary?

Of around thirty thousand quid?

The attraction, as to why the idea is being proposed now, suddenly becomes clearer.

Why?

Because he's worth it.

Council boss?s allowances - Accrington Observer

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 19:01   #35
Senior Member+

To the Mayor and Mayoress. Lovely to hear from you! Hope plenty come down and support you. I most certainly will
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 19:56   #36
JCB

If an elected mayor was Conservative and he/she ended up with a council that had a Labour majority wouldn't that cause big problems ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 21:48   #37
Senior Member+

I have heard a rumour that the Mayor and Mayoress are doing the honours at our presentation down the cricket club, not quite D Lloyd but I will keep you informed .
Old 23-10-2010, 23:08   #38
Junior Member+

Yes Lindsay i am at accrington cricket club on the 20th of november.
For a Mayor for 4years i we vote against.
From now untill the 19th of december iv got 48dos to go to.
This year as the mayor i was entitled to £8000 i do not take it.
On Remembrance Sunday im out 5times.
Today i had the sea cadets in the parlour what a good day we had a right good time.
yours malcolmp
hyndburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 08:50   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburn View Post
Yes Lindsay i am at accrington cricket club on the 20th of november.
For a Mayor for 4years i we vote against.
From now untill the 19th of december iv got 48dos to go to.
This year as the mayor i was entitled to £8000 i do not take it.
On Remembrance Sunday im out 5times.
Today i had the sea cadets in the parlour what a good day we had a right good time.
yours malcolmp
Its not surprising your photo isn't in the Obs that often Malcolm, bet they cant catch you in one place long enough
Old 24-10-2010, 10:37   #40
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
A salary?

Of around thirty thousand quid?

The attraction, as to why the idea is being proposed now, suddenly becomes clearer.

Why?

Because he's worth it.

Council boss?s allowances - Accrington Observer
The killer is that under the proposals given it would be impossible to remove him or her from power, even with a vote from full council. The new Mayor would effectively replace the Leader of the Council and hold office for four years. Not very democratic, is it?

I'm just trying to think of anyone who would want such a thing for Hyndburn.

Old 24-10-2010, 18:09   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The killer is that under the proposals given it would be impossible to remove him or her from power, even with a vote from full council. The new Mayor would effectively replace the Leader of the Council and hold office for four years. Not very democratic, is it?

I'm just trying to think of anyone who would want such a thing for Hyndburn.
Really? Not very democratic? How do you think the Mayor under that system would come to be?
Old 24-10-2010, 21:34   #42
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Really? Not very democratic? How do you think the Mayor under that system would come to be?
Actually, I suppose I should welcome the proposals.

Peter would have to leave the council and we might stand a chance of getting an opposition leader who I could respect, Doug Hayes for example.

Would he win a borough-wide vote? Well, third time lucky.....

Old 25-10-2010, 19:25   #43
Junior Member+

Message to Mayor and Mayoress: Come on! When you get the photographs taken at civic ceremonies dont rely on HBC publicity to ensure they get in the press. Check and check again when they will be published. If its to be its up to thee!
abara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:24   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abara View Post
Message to Mayor and Mayoress: Come on! When you get the photographs taken at civic ceremonies dont rely on HBC publicity to ensure they get in the press. Check and check again when they will be published. If its to be its up to thee!
Do ya know if they are really bothered about such things? i dont.
Old 26-10-2010, 06:11   #45
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abara View Post
There isn't a publicity department as such up at HBC, most photographs that you see in The Accrington Observer are supplied by the ruling group and it has become a rather one-sided paper. Having said that, there is now a new editor so perhaps we may see a shft of emphasis which extends beyond Peter's posse doling out cheques every week.

I managed to get myself in the Daily Telegraph on Saturday without any effort at all, made it to the nationals!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..