Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2012, 09:19   #1
Resting in Peace

What's in an accent

there's a program running on one of the sky channels at the moment, about Essex and the accent, haven't watched it, just seen it advertised, but it started me thinking about accents in general. I never thought I had an accent until one day whilst working in a club in Coventry in the early 70s, I was talking to my mate and one of the locals said tha comes from lanky dont tha, ya Accrington says I, um I come from Ossy, lived on Busk Meadow Street. Talking to the chap for a while it seems he sat next to my mother at St Mary's school.

Accents, well having worked all over this country I've come across the lot, but there are two accents that really grate with me Brummy, but worst of all Scouse, Jenifer Ellison is a cracking looking girl, until she opens her gob, what a real turn off.

So whats your likes and dislikes accent wise and whats your take on accents?
Old 30-01-2012, 09:30   #2

Re: What's in an accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
there's a program running on one of the sky channels at the moment, about Essex and the accent, haven't watched it, just seen it advertised, but it started me thinking about accents in general. I never thought I had an accent until one day whilst working in a club in Coventry in the early 70s, I was talking to my mate and one of the locals said tha comes from lanky dont tha, ya Accrington says I, um I come from Ossy, lived on Busk Meadow Street. Talking to the chap for a while it seems he sat next to my mother at St Mary's school.

Accents, well having worked all over this country I've come across the lot, but there are two accents that really grate with me Brummy, but worst of all Scouse, Jenifer Ellison is a cracking looking girl, until she opens her gob, what a real turn off.

I once went for an interview with Thompson's Cruises and after a gruelling afternoon of interviews, I was finally seen by a woman who I immediately identified as having a Burnley accent.
When she read that I came from Ossie, her comment was " Oh! from the sublime to the ridiculous, I've just interviewed a girl from Sussex, and now one from Lancashire..."
I let her carry on in this rather insulting manner until I could stand it no longer!.
I then said " but you must come from somewhere quite near me, as I can definitely recognise your accent....". and then took my leave.
I received a letter actually saying that due to my 'upbringing'. I wasn't suitable to work for Thompsons!.
When the person who had suggested I apply, saw this letter, he got back to Thompsons, who then offered me a job (didn't take it though) but best of all the woman was 'made' to send me a letter of apology.
Since then, I have never tried to hide my Ossie accent of which I am enormously proud.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 10:47   #3
Mog

Quote:

I left Accy in 68 and I also worked in Coventry until 1992. Then moved to Kent. People tell me that I still have a strong Northern Accent. I dont mind that, But I detest it when somebody calls me a Yorkie. That does get me.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 11:02   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Can't stand scouse and used to dislike so called Brummie till we lived in the midlands and discovered all the different shades, just like in Lancs or anywhere really. Probably warmed to the accent as the people were so lovely.

Really really hate southern accent - Kent/ Sussex/ London.

Like West country - have to say that as my partner is from Somerset. Also northeast and Scots especially some of the islands such as Orkney where there is often a Scandinavian overtone. My partner's boss is a good example.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 11:03   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
I left Accy in 68 and I also worked in Coventry until 1992. Then moved to Kent. People tell me that I still have a strong Northern Accent. I dont mind that, But I detest it when somebody calls me a Yorkie. That does get me.
I detest that also mog,but it beats being called a "Dingle"
Old 30-01-2012, 11:20   #6
Senior Member+

It's surprising how local an accent can be.
My wife is from Darwen and I never noticed she spoke with a different accent than I did.
In a pub on the Isle of Wight some years ago a man came across, looked at her and said "You're from Darwen, aren't you? So am I". Being Darweners they spent ages discussing mutual acquaintances-everyone knows everyone in Darwen..
We hadn't lived there for many years, neither had he but he recognised an accent I hadn't even noticed!
We made great friends with him and his wife- saw them many times after that.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 11:39   #7
God Member

Why does no-one seem to like the Scouse accent. I lived in L'pool for 3 years and grew to love it. Scousers have gorra lorra class and a wicked sense of humour - ahm norr'avin you on, they're great. Don't know anyone who says they don't like the way The Beatles spoke -Ringo Starr is brilliant on the Thomas the Tank engine series as narrator.

I think that all regional accents are fine, can't think of any that get on my nerves.

It is no longer considered as a handicap not to have the perfect intonation of a 1950's BBC presenter.

Nor are people thought to be thick because they're "local yokels", as used to be the case.

The problem these days is not with the accent so much as what people actually have to say for themselves.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 16:52   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Why does no-one seem to like the Scouse accent. I lived in L'pool for 3 years and grew to love it. Scousers have gorra lorra class and a wicked sense of humour - ahm norr'avin you on, they're great. Don't know anyone who says they don't like the way The Beatles spoke -Ringo Starr is brilliant on the Thomas the Tank engine series as narrator.

I think that all regional accents are fine, can't think of any that get on my nerves.

It is no longer considered as a handicap not to have the perfect intonation of a 1950's BBC presenter.

Nor are people thought to be thick because they're "local yokels", as used to be the case.

The problem these days is not with the accent so much as what people actually have to say for themselves.
Snap.

Suprise, suprise. Since I was in Liverpool doing my degree the same time as you, and like you love the Scouse accent. It's so distinctive, but so localised. It literally stops, when you leave the city, or Birkenhead. Like Susie said about Brum, there's many types of Scouse accents.

Love accents, and glad mine is returning.

Although I lived away for half my life, I never lost an ear for a local Lanky twang, and very often suprised people, by chasing them down Piccadilly, asking them where they were from, as I knew it wasn't far from Ossy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:04   #9
God Member

I quite like scouse and brummy, but I would say that wouldn't I, being a wilfully contrary sort. The two accents which really grate on my ear are Northern Irish and Geordie. The creature that does the voice over for Big Brother should be taken out and publicly thrashed until he speaks properly and anyone from NI should be banned from speaking, full stop.
Old 30-01-2012, 17:06   #10
God Member

As Shaw so sagely observed...

"It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him."

I heartily agree.
Old 30-01-2012, 17:07   #11
God Member

I still have my accent even though my sister considered it "posher" than hers 'cos I went to the Grammar school and she didn't.

My old boss at L'pool Uni. (Prof. Jennings) took me aside before i went down to Oxford telling me not to feel like I "stood out" and needed to change the way I spoke (like himself when he'd studied there many years earlier), he said I should be proud of it as it set me apart from most of the rest who would be there!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:12   #12
God Member

I too dislike the way Northern Irish speak. The way their voice pitch rises at the end of a sentance sounds like they are wingeing/complaining all the time.

I had a northern Irish assistant at work for a while. We shared a phone. I often had a long wait to use it because (another trait) they say six words where three would do.

I think Geordies sound lovely. I had a favourite hotel in Northumberland which filled up with geordies every weekend.
I 'melted' whenever I was called 'pet'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:12   #13
Give, give, give member

Carlisle's odd.

Can't make up it's mind if it's northern Lanky, Geordie, or just over the Scottish border.

Neither Arthur Sixpence, nor Martha Washington Tyne-Wear.

Old 30-01-2012, 17:17   #14
Give, give, give member

Some Northern Irish accents, the harsh bark of Rev. Ian Paisley, are hard to listen to, but some are softer, and more melodious on the ear.

I like all accents. Though new Essex/Thames estuary is just laziness, and not really a regional accent.

OMG!

Shat up!

Old 30-01-2012, 17:25   #15
God Member

Though it were a heresy to say so, there are the odd bits in the Yorkshire dialect that I quite like. I had an aunt, who was as barmy as a fruit bat, who went to live in Sheffield and picked up the accent. When she came to visit I used to sit, entranced by the way she spoke. Unlike most of my aunts, and at one point they seemed as numerous as the stars in the sky, she insisted on always drinking tea from a pint mug. Which would seem to prove the addage 'You can take the girl out of Accrington, but you can never take Accrington out of the girl.'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..