Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2012, 19:22   #1
Senior Member+

Stephen Hester- the ultimate sacrifice!

It takes a real man to give up £640,000 of his bonus and accept only £963,000!
Greater love hath no man for the taxpayers he works for.
Now with only that and his £1.2 million salary he's going to have to look for economies in his lifestyle.
Luckily he enjoys gardening so he should be able to grow enough food on his 350 acre estate to survive on although it means he will have less time to visit his chalet in Switzerland.
On the bright side his bonus is in shares and they have halved in value since he took over- in three years when he gets them who knows.
No wonder they say it's tough at the top!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2012, 19:25   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stephen Hester- the ultimate sacrifice!

Yep n so much fer Cameron keeping his word.
Old 27-01-2012, 19:31   #3
God Member

Governments don't do 'treachery' do they?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 20:41   #4

The man should do the decent thing and give his bonus back, although I'm sure he won't have any concept of such an idea. I'm so angry that the tax I pay will go to fund a very rich fat cat whilst the rest of us public servants face yet another pay freeze and reduced pension for more money and everyone in the country fears for their jobs and sees their wages purchase less and less.
My mother was right -she always said vote Tory and the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It seems to me that the burden of the current economic crisis falls on the ordinary working people, whilst those who caused it and their cronies in power just carry on getting more and more money.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 20:54   #5
Senior Member+

There are two ways of looking at this bonus thing, in one way if he can get the rbs back to a state to sell it at a PROFIT its worth paying him a bonus , but you can also say it is a moral disgrace that in these times when ordinary people are struggling that a payment of this size can be made to one man in what is basically state owned bank.
Old 27-01-2012, 20:55   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
The man should do the decent thing and give his bonus back, although I'm sure he won't have any concept of such an idea. I'm so angry that the tax I pay will go to fund a very rich fat cat whilst the rest of us public servants face yet another pay freeze and reduced pension for more money and everyone in the country fears for their jobs and sees their wages purchase less and less.
My mother was right -she always said vote Tory and the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It seems to me that the burden of the current economic crisis falls on the ordinary working people, whilst those who caused it and their cronies in power just carry on getting more and more money.
I think I have mentioned it before, but not many agree with me, that the rich are starting to overplay their hand. They have the economic power and have translated this into political power. They now believe that they are in an unassailable position. But I do believe they are wrong. And that the assault will begin soon.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 21:01   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
There are two ways of looking at this bonus thing, in one way if he can get the rbs back to a state to sell it at a PROFIT its worth paying him a bonus , .
If and when he does that and we get our taxes back I'd say give him the lot,he'll have been worth it.
Until then---bonus payments should be based on success, not the possibility of success.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 27-01-2012 at 21:04.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 21:07   #8
Senior Member+

Thats what i mean Gordon yes , when and if little big words by all means pay the guy his worth when job done.
Old 27-01-2012, 21:18   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think I have mentioned it before, but not many agree with me, that the rich are starting to overplay their hand. They have the economic power and have translated this into political power. They now believe that they are in an unassailable position. But I do believe they are wrong. And that the assault will begin soon.
Forgot to mention ... and it is related to the topic ... that our tory PM chose to mention at Davos today, that his government, which is cutting jobs in the civil service and refusing opposition calls to increase taxes on wealthy individuals and corporations, is planning to raise the qualifying age for old age security pensions from 65 to 67 ... arrogance, the pride that cometh etc. A quick CBC poll today revealed that 80% of Canadians are opposed to this. Arrogant sonofabitch. The right wingers are digging their own graves with their insatiable greed.
Old 27-01-2012, 22:09   #10

The strange thing is the BBC gave £18,000,000 of our money to somebody to say "Tell us about your new film-book-record"
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 22:26   #11

They always justify these bonuses by saying 'If we don't pay them this money they will leave the company or go abroad where they can earn more"

Strange that same argument isn't applied to Firemen/Nurses etc when their pay negotiations come round.

Are these bankers super human, where nobody else can do their jobs? How difficult can it be to run a business so that it loses 40% of it's value in a year?
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 22:35   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its only the Tories that say that.
Old 27-01-2012, 22:58   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
They always justify these bonuses by saying 'If we don't pay them this money they will leave the company or go abroad where they can earn more"

Strange that same argument isn't applied to Firemen/Nurses etc when their pay negotiations come round.

Are these bankers super human, where nobody else can do their jobs? How difficult can it be to run a business so that it loses 40% of it's value in a year?
I don't really know how much I am in favor of government ownership of business ... nationalization, ... state capitalism I suppose you could call it. But that kind of loss in one year It would be difficult, though not impossible, for government to do worse.
Old 28-01-2012, 08:57   #14
Resting in Peace

Well at one time I worked at firms who ran bonus schemes and on many occasions I could earn more in bonus than I got paid in wages, but this guy is on a salary of £1.2 million per year and has fail to meet targets that he set, to me if you expect to get a bonus you have to earn it, which quite obviously Stephen Hester hasn't, what he should be doing is apologising to the share holders (the British Tax payer) and David Cameron should Vito this bonus, then the people would see that he is serious at reforming the banking system, sadly he hasn't done that and therefore deserves all the flack coming his way
Old 28-01-2012, 20:21   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yep n so much fer Cameron keeping his word.
as much as i hate to say this it aint camerons fault.

what milliband and his mates neglected to say when speaking about how awfull this was is that it was his lot that gave him the contract that allowed this bonus and it has to be honored.

Also its not as bad as it sounds because he isnt getting the money theres stipulations attatched and it s been paid in shares which he will only get if a certain target is reached sometime around 2014 or something

i forget the details i heard them in teh car on the radio but he isnt getting a huge cash bonus in his next pay packet

not saying its right what he is getting but its no where near as bad as its been hyped up to be and like i said if any blame is to be dealt it should be at labour for making such a stupid thing possible by contract.

im sure if cameron broke that contract he would have cameron up in the european court for it somehow and end up paying more money.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 28-01-2012 at 20:23.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..