Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2012, 20:28   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stephen Hester- the ultimate sacrifice!

Well i heard the government are at liberty to have renegotiated the contract.
Old 28-01-2012, 20:33   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
as much as i hate to say this it aint camerons fault.

what milliband and his mates neglected to say when speaking about how awfull this was is that it was his lot that gave him the contract that allowed this bonus and it has to be honored.

Also its not as bad as it sounds because he isnt getting the money theres stipulations attatched and it s been paid in shares which he will only get if a certain target is reached sometime around 2014 or something

i forget the details i heard them in teh car on the radio but he isnt getting a huge cash bonus in his next pay packet

not saying its right what he is getting but its no where near as bad as its been hyped up to be and like i said if any blame is to be dealt it should be at labour for making such a stupid thing possible by contract
The claim made by Cameron that this bonus was in a binding contract has been shown to be lies... the contract states that Hester should be "considered" for a bonus by the board of RBS, then it had to be approved by ministers... the board of RBS submitted the bonus to the government and the government approved this bonus.

Last edited by Mancie; 28-01-2012 at 20:35.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:36   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The claim made by Cameron that this bonus was in a binding contract has been shown to be lies... the contract states that Hester should be "considered" for a bonus by the board of RBS, then it had to be approved by ministers... the board of RBS submitted the bonus to the government and the government approved this bonus.

fair enough but at the time i heard it the news wasnt saying that

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:39   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
In a nutshell, I will stick to it,hes a lying Tory Pig.
Old 28-01-2012, 20:53   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
fair enough but at the time i heard it the news wasnt saying that
The update is this:

"George Osborne has told the BBC that the government will not vote against Stephen Hester's bonus as a shareholder at the April AGM"

He said it would be an inappropriate use of the government's 82% shareholding, just as it would have been inappropriate to intervene in setting the size of his bonus in the first place.
Old 28-01-2012, 21:05   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Another update, The Chairman of R.B.S. Sir Richard Hampton,has turned down a bonus of 1.4 millions worth of shares,saying it would be inappropriate, Funny how Cameron n Osbourne think these are ok.
Old 28-01-2012, 21:24   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Another update, The Chairman of R.B.S. Sir Richard Hampton,has turned down a bonus of 1.4 millions worth of shares,saying it would be inappropriate, Funny how Cameron n Osbourne think these are ok.
Strange thing is the government approved the bonus, but when the kak hits they try to wriggle out of it and say the Hester should decline the bonus they awarded him .. why should the bloke decline nigh on a million quid?
Old 28-01-2012, 22:23   #23

Quote:
Strange thing is the government approved the bonus, but when the kak hits they try to wriggle out of it and say the Hester should decline the bonus they awarded him .. why should the bloke decline nigh on a million quid?
I wouldn't say no to a million quid.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 00:06   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I wouldn't say no to a million quid.
i would for 2 million quid

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 08:56   #25

There should never be any need for a bonus.His salary should reflect his ability, and that should be all he gets.Thats all I ever got in my life. Why should he be any different?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:23   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
There should never be any need for a bonus.His salary should reflect his ability, and that should be all he gets.Thats all I ever got in my life. Why should he be any different?
Nothing wrong with bonuses Jim in the right context, as I said previously I sometimes earned more in bonus than in wages, but I was on a realistic wage to start with, when your salary is £1.2 million a year its a joke, anybody would think he's a footballer playing for United, now their wages are obscene aren't they Mancie
Old 29-01-2012, 11:11   #27
JFT96

After yesterday's display, I would say la creme are certainly worth it....

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 04:27   #28

I bet he rejected the bonus through gritted teeth!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 06:30   #29
God Member

no one has actually worked out that by taking his bonus the gov gets ~ half of it in tax... if he refuses it then the money stays in the Bank funds and the taxpayer gets nowt.....

should he get paid a bonus? I'd say yes if he has met the targets that were set, should it be so much? probably not but at these levels numbers do become detached form real value that you and I talk about.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 06:40   #30
Beacon of light

He might have some shonky accountant for a friend, and evade as much tax as possible.
The large companies seem to get away with tax avoidance by legal loophole....which is just the same as tax evasion. It is high time thes e loopholes were closed.
I am not against people being paid extra for good work.....but why don't other people(your garage mechanic, butcher the till operator at Tesco) get the same perks when they have done a good job.
This man gets paid a damn fine salary.......more than us plebs earn in a lifetime.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..